DVDVR Message Board

NJPW G1 Special in San Francisco

matt925

2 hours ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

I'd like to see Cobb as the one to stand on his own and turn down the offer to join the Polynesia Triangle, leading to him becoming a huge babyface. 

TBF, they didn't list Guam. Maybe that's his motivation.

Watched this show last night outside of the opener and Page/Scurll vs. Tanahashi/KUSHIDA. This is the first NJPW show I have seen in years.

The Suzuki/Sabre tag was fun, but pretty much house show level. Goto/Cobb was ok though kind of forgettable.

The tag titles match was pretty good. It was the first time I have seen a Young Bucks match or EVIL match. The YBs seemed good enough though I can't say I was super fond of them. EVIL was solid though kind forgettable. SANADA seems to have improved leaps and bounds since I last saw him either in AJPW or WRESTLE-1's first year. He seems to have really come into his own and was probably the person who looked best here.

Okada/Ospreay vs. Naito/BUSHI was going pretty good until it ended. Dug everyone here but Ospreay. Didn't hate him or anything, everyone else just impressed me more. This is the first time I've actually ever seen Ospreay. Its nice to see another AJPW trueborn in BUSHI seemingly come into his own like SANADA. I can't recall  having ever watched Naito despite being pretty sure that I have. I really need to watch more of him. Okada seems so much better than he was 4-6 years ago and he was already so good then.

Takahashi/Lee was good though kind of crazy with the bumps they were taking.

White/Juice was probably MOTN. Never seen white before, but he is pretty good as a cocky little shit who you want to see get his comeuppance. Juice seems so much better than the few times I saw him in NXT.

Kenny/Cody was good 20 minute WWE main event dragged out to 34 minutes. It felt out of place as an IWGP title match and really did not need to go that long. Honestly, it sort of also reminded me why Cody never really made it big in WWE. Always felt like he was more interested in performing for himself than the crowd. I did like the post match angle despite knowing so few people involved. The packages building up the match were neat.

• Like 1

Some ice cold takes here but I have five minutes before I start my class for the night: 

- The closing angle was just a goddamn riot and one of the very few times the Bullet Club gaijin died on their sword. Loved how three dudes just laid waste to everyone, including Hangman, Marty,  and Owens all running in like every NWA babyface to save Dusty only to immediately be laid out. I do wish I had more confidence in Tama Tonga as the front man. He has great charisma but a lot to be desired in-ring. The Cody turn at the end was a good touch, too. 

- Juice vs Knife Pervert was one of the better story-telling matches of the year. I didn't get Juice for a while but after seeing him in NOLA, the dude is just a charisma machine.

- Hiromu finishing that match was the damnedest thing. Glad that it looks a bit more promising. I expect he'll be back. 

- Ross and Barnett can fuck off. 

• 3 weeks later...