DVDVR Message Board

NJPW G1 Special in San Francisco

matt925

Interesting that they healed one split while launching the other. They structured it in a way that it didn't seem completely crazy that three guys destroyed 8, since at no point were they actually outnumbered by people on their feet. Great angle.

Cody/Kenny was really good, I really like how we basically ended the feud because first Kenny beat some respect into Cody, and then showed him respect himself. Really good storytelling.

Juice and White delivered as well as possible in that death spot. I didn't catch much else because I didn't get home until way late, but good show.

2 minutes ago, Pete said:

Meltzer is reporting Takahashi may have a broken neck from the Phoenixplex.

I wish I was surprised, but it's felt like this was coming for a long time for either him or Will.

Hiromu getting his broken neck makes me really sad.  I worry because when I think of broken necks I think of Eddie Gilbert and worry this might be the same sort of thing with Hiromu.   Hopefully it's not as bad as that.

Jay White had a breakout performance tonight.   This was his first truly great match.  Juice more than held up his end of things as well. 

I really didn't care for Kenny/Cody, or the firing squad really.

The second the triangle was applied I knew that was coming and started to squirm. Lee had wrestled three intense matches Saturday night and they had empties their tanks by that point. Doing that move, the release version especially, at that time was a really risky idea and their craziness finally caught up to them. I hope as far as broken necks go, this is the least shitty one as possible, as he finished the match as planned. One moment where he winced in excruciating pain post match definitely is etched in my brain alongside the landing itself. 

1 hour ago, Control said:

Having never seen Dragon Lee, fill me in: is that a move he has successfully executed in the past? Was it supposed to be a modified version of something?

That’s one of his signature moves, but he usually holds onto it and bridges into a pinning combination.  The few times I’ve seen released versions of that move, it was either off the second rope or the guy was bigger than Lee, so there was more airspace for the other guy to clear his neck from the landing zone.

• Like 1

You could tell on the replay, especially from the second angle, that it was a terrible landing. 

As much as I dislike spotfests I dug that match. Then again I'm a weirdo and liked Goto/Cobb and the Suzuki/Ishii tag more than anything else that night (except for Warmaster shooting of course). Even liked the main in all of its WWE Garbage Match glory, all it was missing was blood. 

Boy, that crowd did NOT like Goto...

I'm convinced that the White/Barnett stuff was a work, but again, JR and Barnett seemed in burial mode on commentary with the "style", so I can't quite make up my mind.

28 minutes ago, Raziel said:

I'm convinced that the White/Barnett stuff was a work, but again, JR and Barnett seemed in burial mode on commentary with the "style", so I can't quite make up my mind.

It’s fun to have something that rides that line effectively, though it’s a shame that JR disliking/being ignorant of the product is something that could support either argument. (He could hardly be worse on purpose.) Fwiw, he and Barnett have tweeted about it a lot, including insisting that it’s not a work—but again, that could be evidence for the opposite. 

52 minutes ago, Curt McGirt said:

Boy, that crowd did NOT like Goto...

Cobb has worked bay area indies for a few years now, so he was the closest thing we had to a hometown guy. And someone else mentioned Goto slid into the heel role great. Speaking for myself, it wasn't so much I didn't like Goto, I (we) just really wanted Cobb to win. 

13 hours ago, Ryan said:

Without looking at the thread, I bet no one has mentioned the most important thing about the show. THE SPONSOR~! Mobile Rhythm Game!
https://bang-dream-gbp-en.bushiroad.com/

They were playing the Kenny commercial for that and the Fire Pro game on a nonstop loop prior to the show beginning. Great stuff! The guy ahead of me was also marking out for Fire Pro. 2018 is strange and glorious. 

Watched the show last night after getting home, finished writing it up today. Overall, didn't really like the show, thought early performances were lazy but thought they turned it around in the final 3. Juice/Jay was my favorite of the night, though I enjoyed Cody/Omega more than I thought I would. Also liked the loud Bay Area reaction Cobb got. I hope for the best for Hiromu, and if he's able to come back it might force him to tone things down. He has enough interesting stuff and a great personality that he could pull off a toned down style. 

http://segundacaida.blogspot.com/2018/07/new-japan-pro-wrestling-g1-special-in.html