DVDVR Message Board

NJPW G1 Special in San Francisco

matt925

Hey, at least in Forest Hills they have a Friendly Neighborhood Spider-Man.

But I gotta figure that "big name" is Jericho, tying right into the spyware report that he was coming back.

For those who have never been to the Cow Palace, there is not really an "upper deck." And the bleachers are actually the section just off the floor, very good seats. Thats where I sat last time APW ran there in Nov. I got my seats! Sec. 18. I too have my fingers crossed for a Jericho appearance. 

Also, for anybody traveling in from out of town, APW is throwing its King of Indies tournament the Friday night prior, in Daly City too. I made a more detailed post about it in the #2 Feds (Indie Wrestling) thread.  

Honestly, those sales seem fairly respectable with no matches or names announced, considering this isn't a major WWE event. 

Doesn't WWE struggle to pull those types of numbers for live events in the US with all the major names attached? 

• 1 month later...

Officially announced:

Kenny Omega vs Cody 

Young Bucks vs Evil & Sanada

Okada & Ospreay vs Naito & Bushi

Jay White vs Juice Robinson 

Let’s see if tickets start moving now. I checked Ticketmaster a few times to see if ticket sales got a bump after dominion and it wasn’t noticeable so far. 

I get the idea. Kenny/Cody is a bigger match stateside than in Japan, and saves all the viable main events back home. The problem, of course, is that the match just happened (and was... eh?) and the winner here couldn't be more obvious--Kenny needs his win back, and assuredly isn't dropping the title. (Of course that could be a problem either way, since there's no way you book Omega to fail at the first hurdle, whether the match is in North America or not.) The other, other problem is that Kenny doesn't really even need his win back, insofar as the best revenge is living well. He has his friends, his "friend", universal acclaim, the most prestigious title, etc. Cody has already lost, since he seems to have alienated himself from BC as a whole, rather than taken it over.

Having said that, I think it might have been a better choice to go for a more workrate-y lower/midcard opponent--and New Japan has no lack of better-than-solid-hands who just don't get the main events to show it (to say nothing the ROH/CMLL roster, from which they could theoretically draw). Sure, the outcome would still be obvious, but you could at least draw people with the promise of a great match.

I can be brought around, though, provided there are stakes. The first match had the Battle for Bullet Club promise, which made it feel like an event--and then it... didn't really deliver any consequences. So that's another problem, I guess. 

Meanwhile, Tama is tweeting his displeasure with The Golden Elite and devious Montgomery Burns "I'm planning things" images, so I guess... he's still gonna be a factor? Maybe? Also, Fale's looking ready for a push...

• Like 2

I think any additional sales at this point will be due to whatever they come up with on being the elite. The hype around Dominion didn’t cause a noticeable bump in sales, they announced four main matches and so far it doesn’t seem like a noticeable bump. I think the next few episodes of bte will focus on building Cody vs Kenny and they will make it entertaining. But with all the die  hards having their all in plans already, I’m not sure even they will add a lot of sales. 

Well I haven't heard anyone mentioning anything about surge in ticket sales for Cow Palace after these matches were announced. Maybe too early for that or maybe "bigger match in USA" doesn't mean that much. Thou after fast SSE and All In sell outs I'd imagine a big bump, otherwise it would kinda indicate that those shows sold out fast due to various external reasons and not due to The Elite being that big of a draw in the states.

But yeah, you explained well why there isn't that much interest in Omega/Cody II. Additionally in latest BTE episode it looked like Cody was ready to mend fences, but was unable to make that first step. So it is kinda whatever. Storylines makes sense I'd say, more or less, but due to how it was built and most likely outcome (nobody wants to leave a group that is making ton of money) it looks like this match will be just a formality to get the gang back and after that we will actually be getting something new and interesting, or at least I hope so since this BC civil war was a bit of a drag.

Fale investing in himself is interesting. He has decent booking and few good matches (Tana, Okada) that he can fall back and produce some decent stuff if needed. In a way I guess he is in similar spot that Elgin was before his title win. Either needs to win something bigish or get moved down the card. Tama on the other hand I think is just posting shit hoping to get more attention for himself and maybe get a small push or something.

• Like 1

Looks like a lot of those $50 tickets were either  sold or somehow removed today. I’ve been checking pretty much every day because I’m curious and weird, and there was very little change from the week before dominion and the match announcement, and the week after. All of a sudden today almost all of those $50 upper level tickets in the U facing the entrance are gone. Almost all the $80 ones are still there and there are still $40 tickets. Just seemed odd how it looks like maybe around 1000 tickets moved today. 

Just occurred to me that there's some cool history behind a US Heavyweight title match at the Cow Palace. Ray Stevens approves, somewhere.

They just announced 

Goto vs. Jeff Cobb- Never Openweight title match

Kushida & Tanahashi vs. Marty Scrull & Hangman Page

Toro Yano & Ishii vs. Suzuki & Zach Sabre Jr. 

Sho, Yoh, Rocky Romero, Gego, Yoshi-Hashi vs. Yujiro, Chase Owens, Tama Tonga, Tama Loa, and KING HAKU

I'm very happy to see Jeff Cobb get this singles match. Even as a newerish fan to NJPW I know the importance/significance put on singles matches. It'll also be cool to see Suzuki live. I know the other matches were already announced, but I was hoping for a singles match with Naito, Okada, and/or Tanahashi. 

They also announced a press conference and meet and greet. I've bought tix using eventbrite, so thats a legit ticket outlet, but it doesn't look like that link is live yet. Also note that this thing is on Treasure Island which isn't anywhere near the Cow Palace. 

New Details on the G1 Special Showcase!

New Japan Pro-Wrestling released new details for the G1 Special Showcase to be held on July 6.

The signing ceremony will showcase:

IWGP Heavyweight Championship Match
The 66th Champion Kenny Omega vs Challenger Cody

IWGP US Heavyweight Championship Match
The 2nd Champion Jay White vs Challenger Juice Robinson

IWGP Heavyweight Tag Team Championship Match
The 80th Champions Nick Jackson and Matt Jackson vs Challengers EVIL and SANADA

The Meet & Greet will be a photo session with the wrestlers. Ticketed guests may take a picture with the wrestler and will then receive an autographed portrait. The wrestlers in attendance at the G1 Special Showcase will be:

Hiroshi Tanahashi
Katsuyori Shibata
KUSHIDA
Tomohiro Ishii
Tetsuya Naito
Minoru Suzuki
Kenny Omega
Young Bucks

Meet & Greet tickets will be pre-sold only on Eventbrite. No tickets will be sold at the event.

Tickets will be available here: https://g1showcase.eventbrite.com
Tickets will go live on June 22 at 10:00AM PST.

The press conference will be free of charge, with priority given to the media. 
The press conference will be closed to the public once we reach room capacity. We appreciate your understanding.

401 13th Street
San Francisco, CA 94130

Press Conference:
12:00PM PST

Meet & Greet:
After the press conference until 3:30PM PST

• Thanks 1

I counted the unsold tickets from the seat map on ticketmaster and got 2880 (that’s not including tickets for resale). I’m sure I made a few mistakes but I went section by section so I don’t see how I could have made a major mistake. That’s more sold than I thought. It was stated that 1000 were withheld to sell to fans in Japan and as far as I know, those were never reintroduced on ticketmaster. There can’t be anywhere near 1000 people flying from japan for this show, so I don’t know how those will count. 

There are 143 $40 tickets left. Those will sell right? At this point if someone wants to go they should just get a $40 ticket and move down. 

There are 56 tickets for handicap seats. There are 8 floor seats left.