DVDVR Message Board

NJPW G1 Special in San Francisco

matt925

TOP000.jpg

https://www.njpw1972.com/26139

NJPW hits the Cow Palace! Tickets for G1 Special on sale May 1!

This summer, New Japan returns to America, bigger than ever. On July 7, “G1 SPECIAL IN SAN FRANCISCO” will see the stars of NJPW rock the legendary Cow Palace.

After wildly successful events in Los Angeles, NJPW management sought out a bigger building for our San Francisco debut. The Cow Palace will host 10,000 strong witnessing the very best pro-wrestling on the planet. With our biggest American crowd to date on hand, and the historic legacy of this famous building to live up to, you can be sure of a card for the ages.

G1 SPECIAL IN SAN FRANCISCO

Saturday, July 7, 2018
Doors 15:30 Show start 17:00
Venue: Cow Palace

2600 Geneva Ave, Daly City, CA 94014

TICKETS ON SALE:
Tuesday May 01, 10AM (US Pacific time)

Ticket prices:
●Arena
・Rows 1-2: $300
・Rows 3-5: $200
・Rows 6-22: $150

●BLEACHER
・Rows 1-10: $120

●BOX
・Rows 1-5: $100

● DRESS CIRCLE
・Rows 1-9: $80
・ Rows 10-16: $50

●CORNERS
・ Rows 1-16: $40

Actually, I checked and they're comparable to the Long Beach prices.

Floor: Rows 1-4 $200, Rows 5-12 $150.
Stadium: Rows 1-7 $100, Rows 8-14 $80, Rows 15-24 $50.

If it was an actual G1 show, and I lived close by, I'd consider it.

I'm going to be out in Monterey this summer so I'm definitely going to the show. I'm not going to buy tickets right off the jump but I'm banking on the show not being an instant sellout.

I'll be there by my lonesome because the few buddies who would go had previously planned tripped before or after and aren't filthy rich. Defo down to do a DVDVR meet up.

• Like 1

So there’s about 4920 tickets left on Ticketmaster, so they sold roughly around 5080 tickets today before hitting the wall. 

Unless they book Jericho or hotshot omega/Okada 4, I don’t see how they sell double the tickets after the diehards bought them. Still an impressive crowd. 

Okada vs Punk lol

But in all seriousness I'm holding out hope for Naito vs Jericho. I'm optimistic, in a perfect world Jericho will come from nowhere and jump Naito from behind after his match at Dominion in June. Then they book Naito vs Jericho as this shows main event. Then run Okada and Ishii vs Golden Lovers as co-main. 

Don't know if this fits here or not but ...
https://www.f4wonline.com/japan/chris-jericho-reportedly-heading-back-new-japan-pro-wrestling-256956

Chris Jericho may be heading back to New Japan sooner than you think.

PWInsider reported this afternoon that Chris Jericho will be heading to Japan to participate in the upcoming Wrestling Dontaku events that will take place over the next two days. The report says that he will appear to set up an angle for next month’s Dominion event on June 9 in Osaka Jo Hall.

Jericho participated at this year’s WrestleKingdom 12 event, losing to Kenny Omega in a no disqualification match. The next night at New Year’s Dash, Jericho jumped Tetsuya Naito after a match and the two went at it. Since then, Jericho has largely disappeared from the pro wrestling scene, focusing on touring with his band. He most recently worked the Greatest Royal Rumble event on April 27. 

Back in March, Jericho said on Twitter that he wouldn’t be going back to New Japan, though in the past he has not been that transparent about his future plans in order to keep an element of surprise as to what he'll do next.

So if Jericho does wrestle Naito at Dominion who does he wrestle in the Cow Palace. 28 days seems to quick a turn around for a rematch by New Japan standards.

I forget the precise number but the disappointing ticket sale number through day one was around 3.5 k IIRC. They'll need to stack the card if they have those hoop dreams of selling out the Palace and we won't know much of anything until after Dominion (June 9th). Should be interesting.

1 hour ago, Oyaji said:

I forget the precise number but the disappointing ticket sale number through day one was around 3.5 k IIRC. They'll need to stack the card if they have those hoop dreams of selling out the Palace and we won't know much of anything until after Dominion (June 9th). Should be interesting.

I counted the remaining tickets on ticketmaster at the end of the first day and it was roughly 4920, give or take 100 tops. So if it was scaled to 10k or more, that’s over 5000 tickets. That’s the majority of the expensive tickets too so they are already looking at a $500k gate. 

They only sold around 3,300 on the first day. 1,000 were marked as sold on Ticketmaster because they reserved for the NJPW Club.

PWTorch has confirmed with NJPW sources that the actual number of tickets sold is around 3,300. The reason that it appears around 4,500 tickets have been sold as Ticketmaster has also marked 1,000 seats as sold that are reserved for the NJPW Club in Japan. This selection of tickets is not expected to move any tickets, but are held to ensure that members of NJPW Club have access to the tickets if they want to purchase them.

According to sources, NJPW management was upset with the initial sales and has reached out to a big name to wrestle on the show and help boost sales in the coming weeks with a marquee match on the G1 Special In San Francisco. One source noted they expect sales to stall around 4,000 at this time, but if NJPW is able to secure a big name, an increase in ticket sales would be expected.

I'm kinda surprised that this would be a surprise to New Japan, honestly. Anyone who was only going to go as a novelty has done so; the more invested fans might wonder about the depth of the card, both because of the previous show and the proximity to Dominion; many from other parts of the country who want to see Okada, Omega, the Bucks, et al., could go to All In for less money; and of course, there's nothing announced.

So that's 3300 tickets sold without a single match announced or even a list of talent. Seems silly to push the panic button under those circumstances...

• Like 1

Another factor is east coast folks can get their fix with CEO, which hasn't announced matches- but Kenny, Ibushi, and Naito are draws.  Got my tickets today thanks to registering for the tourney (they gave entrants 1st shot at tickets)

2 hours ago, Casey said:

They only sold around 3,300 on the first day. 1,000 were marked as sold on Ticketmaster because they reserved for the NJPW Club.

I see. If that’s true about them being “upset” I think that shows a high level of arrogance on their part. They’ve done zero promotion for the event aside from posting on social media which is basically the same thing we’re doing. They can’t just do nothing and expect big success. 

I also agree with the over saturation. With new japan shows three months apart, roh shows, ceo, all in, the diehard fans have enough to be satisfied with. Now they have to reach the casual fans. 

Guess my dreams of a big Barclays center show are a little off base haha. 

3 minutes ago, matt925 said:

I see. If that’s true about them being “upset” I think that shows a high level of arrogance on their part. They’ve done zero promotion for the event aside from posting on social media which is basically the same thing we’re doing. They can’t just do nothing and expect big success. 

I also agree with the over saturation. With new japan shows three months apart, roh shows, ceo, all in, the diehard fans have enough to be satisfied with. Now they have to reach the casual fans. 

Guess my dreams of a big Barclays center show are a little off base haha. 

Honestly, I can't think of any biggish NYC arenas that WWE wouldn't already have an exclusive on unless they wanted to take their chance on an outdoors show. Certainly nothing in that 8-10K sweet spot unless they wanted to think outside the box and run something like Forest Hills Stadium.

What?