DVDVR Message Board

Impact Wrestling Spoilers for 5/10/18

*Taped for Xplosion: Fallah Bahh def. Rohit Raju

Impact Wrestling - Airing May 10, 2018 from Orlando, FL

*Z & E (DJ Z & Andrew Everett) def. LAX (Ortiz & Santana) when Z countered the Street Sweeper with a hurricarana

*Grado (w/ Katarina Leigh) def. Rohit Raju after a corner cannonball

*El Hijo del Fantasma def. Aerostar, Drago, & Taiji Ishimori via pinfall on Aerostar.

*(Aired from House of Hardcore 41): Moose def. Kongo Kong (w/ Jimmy Jacobs) via DQ when Jacobs interfered and used a steel chair.

*(Aired joined in progress from Pro Wrestling NOAH): Brian Cage def. Takashi Sugiura

*Pentagon Jr.(c) def. Eli Drake to retain the Impact World Championship.

1 hour ago, Thibs said:

This is just a casket match using the “last rites” name, not the shit show that was sting vs. abyss.

Thank God, because, yes, that was a shit show.

Although, the only differentiating factor between a casket match and the "Last Rites" debacle was that the casket was elevated t the ceiling, right?

I know the Google machine is right*there, but I'm on call and desperate for non-mentally ill interaction.  (Although I'm not so sure about some of you...)

• Like 2

Here's the original Last Rites Match for anyone who wants to give it a look:

There's things about this match I like. The aesthetic is a nice touch that's something I always will credit this era TNA for doing which is making things look different. It might be cheesy but the candelabra on each ring post was a cool touch. The tombstones eh a little too on the nose for my liking.

The match started off well enough with Sting jumping Abyss from the jump and them trading chair shots on the outside. I do like that Sting embraced his inner hardcore wrestler in TNA. Latter years Sting didn't fuck around. The physicality of this match enhances the brutality they wanted to associate with this type of gimmick match. Sting got color 4 minutes in taking a candelabrum to the face. The crowd was hot too or as hot as a Impact Zone crowd can be.

Once the casket gets lowered it starts getting real B level horror movie. The casket is lowered comically slow, theres a eerie blue light that covers the ring and smoke you can't forget the smoke. This is when everything goes to shit. The crowd turns on this match when the light turns blue and start chanting Fire Russo about five minutes into the match. Sting was a bloody mess, like too much. Sting places a tombstone over Abyss face and hits the tombstone with his bat. Abyss starts to bleed. It is really more midnight movie then Japanese garbage wrestling. I gotta give it to Sting he was 48 at the time and took a chokeslam onto a casket that could not of felt good. Abyss is nuts too going back first through a tombstone propped up by two chairs. Sting wins after that. Then the Casket is raised up to the ceiling with Abyss in it. The blue light and smoke are back too. 

Edited by Web Conn

Eh, those fans can eat a dick; that wasn't as bad as it could've been.  That was actually a bit better than I remember it being.  Maybe watching it out of the context of the overall angle makes it better, idk.

the Callihan/Callis stuff kind of came out of nowhere to take over the show this week but still lots to enjoy. the X Division 4 way got a lot of time and the tag team opener was good stuff. Z & E look good together as a team. Katarina looked amazing in her role, loved that. What we got of Cage/Sugiura was awesome. Takashi looked excellent despite the match being to showcase Cage, dug that a lot. Only the main event was disappointingly short with a real abrupt ending.

10 hours ago, DreamBroken said:

the Callihan/Callis stuff kind of came out of nowhere to take over the show this week but still lots to enjoy.

Just wondering, as someone who attended the Destiny show - when they showed the footage of the attack on Callis from Destiny, did they also show any of what Callis was saying to Callihan beforehand?

1 hour ago, S.K.o.S. said:

Just wondering, as someone who attended the Destiny show - when they showed the footage of the attack on Callis from Destiny, did they also show any of what Callis was saying to Callihan beforehand?

No, they did not.

There’s so much I enjoy about Impact right now but they still manage to make a show feel disjointed. The good stuff -

-LAX and their losing streak 

-Allie / Rosemary/ Su

-Eli & Steiner

-Random 1997 WCW Lucha 4 way

-Jacobs & Kong

-Brian Cage’s path of destruction

-Penta

-The Sami / Eddie stuff

its all good stuff and if you add in the filler with Trevor Lee, Grado etc the show could be 2 hours of goodness but it STILL feels disjointed. Super weird. 

• Like 1

The Opening tag match was really good and a rematch could be even better. The 4 way was great just never reached the level of the 6 man the week before. Tessa's video package was great as was the 2nd part of Cage's world tour. It will be  interesting to see what Katrina does in the future weeks. The Su/Allie/Rosemary storyline was amazing and I can't wait to see what happens next week. Eddie/Sami next week will be interesting to see what happens and if we get the match in full. Agreed the main event seemed rushed. 

• Like 1