DVDVR Message Board

Bruno Sammartino has died

RIPPA

PWInsider.com is extremely saddened to report the passing of WWE Hall of Famer and two-time WWWF champion Bruno Sammartino at the age of 82.

Sammartino passed away this morning in Pittsburgh, PA following what we are told was a hospitalization. 

Obviously, we will be talking and writing much more about Bruno in the hours and days to come, but Sammartino was the original superhero of the WWWF, the foundation of the company as it built itself into the promotion in the Northeast under Vince McMahon Sr.  He was considered one of the classiest performers ever in the history of the business and lived an amazing life that took him all the way from his family fleeing a Nazi invasion of his village in Italy to the United States, where he ascended into one of the most popular athletes of the era.

On behalf of everyone associated with PWInsider.com, we cannot even begin to covey our deep sadness and condolences for Bruno's family and his infinite amount of friends and fans.  There will never be another like the "Living Legend."

• Sad 8

• RIPPA pinned this topic

Wow, despite his age, this was super unexpected. I always thought of Bruno as someone who would crack 100 and still have a bear palm handshake. Damn sad to see him pass.

• Like 9

When I was a kid I had a lot of secondhand late territory/early expansion magazines I got from yard sales that covered stuff like the Zbyszko feud. I wouldn't see any of his matches until much later, but he was the epitome of the old school to me for years. 

10 minutes ago, Craig H said:

Wow, despite his age, this was super unexpected. I always thought of Bruno as someone who would crack 100 and still have a bear palm handshake. Damn sad to see him pass.

Same here.  You see him on these Network shows and the interviews he used to do on the Observer, and there was never even a hint that anything was wrong.  He just seemed like the epitome of what you could be at his age.

Even though I know he hated his last run, his MSG steel cage tag with Tito Santana against Savage and Adonis was the match that turned me from a casual fan into a FAN.

1 hour ago, The Natural said:

Glad Bruno Sammartino and WWE made up so Bruno took his rightful place in WWE's Hall of Fame.

I was just going to say something similar, thank goodness for the last 5 years so Bruno's career and accomplishments were rightfully acknowledged.

• Like 1