DVDVR Message Board

2018 NBA Playoffs: OCTOFINALS

Dolfan in NYC

First round looks not fun. Rockets/Bulls might be fun but Harden is playing that Destiny Ball, and I don't see a lot keeping him from The Warriors and maybe a ring.

Bucks/Sixers sounds like a good time. (I mean Heat, right Dolfan?)Thunder/Rockets could be good. No Kawhi makes Spurs/Golden State less interesting. Golden State doesn't look to have an interesting game until the WCF.

I'll never believe in Toronto. I could see them getting bounced in the first round honestly.

Injuries have fucked this season up. One of the worst years I can think of.

Everything starts over.  Rockets just lost Luc Mbah a Moute for a month.  I know that the Rockets beat the Wolves 4 times this year, but it doesn't matter now.  Especially with Jimmy Butler back.  I'm hoping everything stays the same, and all the playoff yips on Harden and Paul are gone.  If they go out there and just play the way they've been playing, it'll be a sweep.  If they get nervous, I'm getting nervous. 

San Antonio on paper should not present much of a problem to GS, but San Antonio is weird, and GS is without Curry.  Granted, their defense is better when Curry's not out there, but it's nice to have three other all stars out there. 

I could see Utah beating the Thunder. 

Second Round and beyond -- I could see Portland beat the Warriors, especially if Curry isn't back by then.  I think the Rockets can handle Utah or the Thunder.  But I think the whole world is waiting for a Rockets / Warriors WCF with both squads at full strength. 

Out East I only believe in LeBron.  I like the Raptors, but it's really hard to believe in them. 

Curry will probably look not quite like himself if he's playing in the second round. Despite that, if it's Rox/Warryerz, I go with Golden State until I see Harden not fold in the playoffs.

Jazz finishing almost as high as third is really remarkable. I don't get how they do it. Mitchell looked a stud in the summer league but then was having historically bad shooting nights early on in the season. I'm glad that they righted the ship and basically lost something like 6 games in the second half of the season or so. I would not want to play them in the playoffs. 

Bucks/Celtics should be really good. I have no idea how that one will play out.

I'm also excited for the Blazers in general and the Sixers/Heat series.

Shout out to the NBA for making the first 2 games in Philly 8pm starts so there's no fucking way I can go. Why not just start the fucking games at 11pm so that  the oh so valuable West coast audience can see it in prime time? Assholes.

I'm not sure what to think of Miami.   Philly is riding a 16-game win streak and when JoJo gets back they'll be a tough out.  But they are young and inexperienced.   Celtics are ravaged with injuries.  

You add it all up and I think you can safely pencil in Philly and Cleveland for the ECF.   That's when Philly's inexperience will get the best of them as they stare over at LeBron.  

In the west,  I think the Rockets can be pushed and will be pushed in the first couple rounds but they'll hang on and then we see Rockets/Warriors with Curry back.  

Warriors vs. Cavs is still very much the safe bet. 

I really, really wanted a OkC/Warriors series this playoffs and it looks like we're not going to get it. Instead we got the least appealing 1st round option for the Warriors: this ragtag Kwahi-less Spurs team. Almost any other Western team would have been a more interesting match for the Warriors: Utah and even the damn Nuggets. Warriors on cruise control.

Sigh.

Pelicans vs Blazers might be the best series of the first round. That first game was a thriller with a big defensive play from Jrue Holiday making the difference. Niko without the beard looks much younger and as a Bulls fan that always liked him, I'm glad he had a good game.

Philly dominated even without Embiid. I really like their roster as they have a great mix of vets like Redick, Ilyasova, Belinelli, and Jerryd Bayless mixed with great younger players. They could be a sleeper favorite to come out of the East, but I'm probably jumping the gun.

2 minutes ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

Game 1 and Boston already has me chewing my nails off.  Game 2 the fingers come off.   

Amazing what Stevens has done with this group though.  

They are so getting "Processed" in the next round if they make it.

Harden was awesome. Rockets win in a game where Paul is playing like it’s a Clippers elimination game and we shoot like 20% from 3. 

Yeah, not ideal, but when you have the MVP take over like he can, you can win playoff games like this.

And that was the best I’ve seen Derrick Rose play in forever. Well, offensively. He can’t guard Harden. I mean, no one can, but come on.

DWade woke up and realized there's a chance he lasts longer in the playoffs than Lebron. 

Looking at the boxscore..... what does Whiteside actually do anymore? If Embiid isn't playing shouldn't he be feasting?

Tonight just guarantees a game 5 in Philly I can either go to, or if the league fucks me with an 8pm start I sell the ticket I paid $11 for $100+ so I win either way. And I think Embiid will be back for game 3 so playtime is over.