DVDVR Message Board

2018 NBA OFFSEASON

Dolfan in NYC

Is there anyone picking in the back half of the draft who's actually tanking, though?  Maybe Atlanta but they're trying to shed money, not take it on.

Dwight Howard is getting traded to Brooklyn for Mozgov.  Nets will have enough cap space to offer two max contracts this summer.

ETA: "The Hornets locker room did not like Howard" Nooooo, say it aint so!

• Haha 1

The Charlotte Hornets have agreed to send Dwight Howard to the Brooklyn Nets for center Timofey Mozgov, two future second-round picks and cash, league sources told ESPN.

Charlotte was determined to move out Howard, who has a $23.8 million expiring contract.

The Hornets will receive the Nets' second-round pick (No. 45) in Thursday's NBA draft and a 2021 second-round pick, league sources said.

There's the full deal

4 minutes ago, muhammedboehm said:

So they took on 30 million in contract?

Mitch Kupchak - who gave Mozgov that contract - is the GM in Charlotte now

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

Mitch Kupchak - who gave Mozgov that contract - is the GM in Charlotte now

Kemba Walker for Luol Deng confirmed.

Haha, I am of course kidding.  That trade doesn't work because Luol Deng makes $5M/year more than Kemba Walker.

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, Contentious C said:

In other news, dog bites man. I could have said the phrases "NBA" and "everyone needs to do cocaine" to you guys 6 months, a year, 2 years ago, and your brains would have instinctively pulsed, "Nick Young".

Him or Smith.

2 hours ago, SirFozzie said:

So, the rumor is the Celtics are trying to package Morris, the Sac/Phil pick, and maybe another couple picks to move up to Atlanta and the #3 to get Doncic.

If that happens.. I think NBA reddit would do a Jonestown.

This would normally be the point where someone might think Danny Ainge sold his soul to be a super-genius GM, but that would be wrong. Gingers don't have souls. 

Dwight Howard is endlessly fascinating to me. How fucking obnoxious do you have to be to have this many teams punt on you despite still being good? Nobody even notices that he put up 16+ points a night, or 12.5 boards, or blocked 1.5 because he's just such a clown. He doesn't really fit the modern NBA, but he's basically got an unimpeachable Hall of Fame resume, and nobody can stand being his teammate.

Dwight's getting bought out by the Nets so he can fulfill his destiny of being a Knick.

That second part is just conjecture, but look into your heart.  You know it to be true.

• Haha 1

The one thing I'm worried about Doncic is he seems awfully slow of foot, so I don't know if he's going to be able to break down more athletic defenders in the NBA but a really exciting prospect regardless. 

Mo Bamba's 7'10" wingspan and eye popping dunks... So much fun to watch.

3 hours ago, RandomAct said:

I'm happy to have Luka(and his alarmingly hot mom) on the Mavs.  We didn't have to give up much to get him either.

I can tell I'm getting older because the moms on the NBA draft are looking a little finer to me each year.

I'm happy with the Bucks getting DiVicenzo, despite his Pee Wee Herman-ass suit.  Hopefully his shooting translates to the NBA.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, RandomAct said:

I'm happy to have Luka(and his alarmingly hot mom) on the Mavs.  We didn't have to give up much to get him either.

Congrats man.  I'm completely sold on Doncic. He has that Harden-like ability to dance around a pick and find the weakness. All that step back and misdirection stuff is going to translate without a doubt.  The concerns about his athleticism, while warranted, I think are overblown in the grand scheme of things.  Let's see what he looks like with a summer's worth of rest and an NBA strength and conditioning program. 

It really is worth noting how many games he has played in such a short span of time.  The rest alone should help him out considerably.

Also, when it comes to the trade.. You guys somehow gave up less for Luka Doncic than the Suns gave up for Mikal Bridges.  Still hate throwing away first round picks, but top 5 protected in what is projecting to be a weak draft class isn't the worst thing. I assume the Mavs go after Boogie or DJ this summer, in which case the pick wont be all that high anyway.  I really want to see Doncic, DSJ, Barnes and one of those bigs.  Interesting team all the sudden.

That Suns trade is baffling to me.  If you're looking to win down the line,  why on earth would you trade away a future Heat first rounder unprotected in what could turn out to be the first draft year without the one and done rule?  Seriously.  The Heat are going to be BAD for at least a few years.  That could be a top 4 pick in a draft that has two years worth of top prospects.

• Like 1

Hawks GM Travis Schlenk pretty much confirmed (with out saying his name directly) that Wojo leaking the draft picks on Twitter allowed him to not have to make a deal with the Bucks

When Atlanta Hawks general manager Travis Schlenk found out whom other teams were planning on drafting and that he'd be able to select Kevin Huerter with the 19th overall pick, there was no need to trade up to get the Maryland guard.

Schlenk told 95.7 The Game in San Francisco on Friday that he had a deal in place to acquire the No. 17 pick from the Milwaukee Bucks in exchange for a draft pick, but he never had to make that deal because the media were projecting picks on Twitter.

Schlenk was talking about how leaks to the media make his job more difficult, but he said that a leaked report worked to his advantage during the draft.

"Last night, for instance, we had the 19th pick, and we're coming down and we're actually talking to Milwaukee on the 17th pick, talking about trading up to get a guy we like," Schlenk said. "There's were a couple of guys we felt really good about on the 19th pick, obviously Kevin [Huerter] was one of them, and it leaked who Milwaukee was going to take.

"So, all of a sudden, we were able to pull back out of that deal and keep the draft pick instead of packaging picks to move up because we knew that, two guys on the board we felt really good about and only one team in between us, so that was beneficial to us last night."

6 hours ago, Jrag said:

Congrats man.  I'm completely sold on Doncic. He has that Harden-like ability to dance around a pick and find the weakness. All that step back and misdirection stuff is going to translate without a doubt.  The concerns about his athleticism, while warranted, I think are overblown in the grand scheme of things.  Let's see what he looks like with a summer's worth of rest and an NBA strength and conditioning program. 

It really is worth noting how many games he has played in such a short span of time.  The rest alone should help him out considerably.

Also, when it comes to the trade.. You guys somehow gave up less for Luka Doncic than the Suns gave up for Mikal Bridges.  Still hate throwing away first round picks, but top 5 protected in what is projecting to be a weak draft class isn't the worst thing. I assume the Mavs go after Boogie or DJ this summer, in which case the pick wont be all that high anyway.  I really want to see Doncic, DSJ, Barnes and one of those bigs.  Interesting team all the sudden.

That Suns trade is baffling to me.  If you're looking to win down the line,  why on earth would you trade away a future Heat first rounder unprotected in what could turn out to be the first draft year without the one and done rule?  Seriously.  The Heat are going to be BAD for at least a few years.  That could be a top 4 pick in a draft that has two years worth of top prospects.

Frankly, playing for Carlisle and with guys like Dirk/Wes will help him immensely. He's lucky to be going to a veteran, no bullshit team(outside of the front office).