DVDVR Message Board

2018 NBA OFFSEASON

Dolfan in NYC

22 minutes ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

So, this means they want picks along with Richardson, Bam, and probably someone else like Winslow.   

Fuck. That. 

Also that they'll want Miami to take back Gorgui Dieng and the nearly 50 million he's still owed over the next three seasons.

I mean, Butler's trade value should, theoretically, be sky-high.  He's an (arguable) top-10 player who can play both sides of the ball in a league that's desperate for top-level wings.  It's only when you start factoring in all the externalities that it starts to get dicey.

I heard Houston mentioned as being very interested, but I can't imagine they could put together a very attractive package compared to other teams.

Minnesota has limited leverage, and the Woj/Lowe report says they want the kind of package you'd send to New Orleans or Milwaukee.

He's really fucking good, but he's 29, starting to have injury concerns, had played an ungodly number of minutes, and we've seen what that does to other really good players under Thibs. He also has struggled to fit in with teammates at both stops of his career, and he's only signed for one more year. 

I mean, if they'll take Kenard, Johnson, and a couple picks, I'll gladly have him in Detroit. 

Speaking as a guy who watched a lot of Jimmy Buckets games, I don't think he's the guy you build around unless you also have another player who is better than him and he respects. I think he just becomes disruptive to teams otherwise.

I think Houston, if they can actually manage it, should probably go for it. James Harden is ball dominant and is clearly better than him. And if Harden disappears or gets shuts down Jimmy is more than okay to take over. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Brian Fowler said:

I still think Toronto is the team that should most roll the dice though. If Leonard bolts they need to rebuild anyway. Leonard and Butler is a good starting point to guard Boston and even GS

Yep, I think if they could give up a young player other than OG along with Lowry and maybe a pick(not sure on obligations they have) it would be a good gamble in a year where the East is kind of wide open.  If it doesn't work out, what have you lost?  Even if the Raptors have to take on Dieng, they move the last year of that Lowry deal that is a $33.5 million cap hit.

I'd like him in Houston a lot more if he was a better a three point shooter.

I mean, talent usually will out, but CP/Harden/Buckets/Melo(?)/Capela isn't exactly a great group for spacing, especially when Harden has the ball.

Season starts in 2 weeks.   And someone on reddit did the math, and Joel Embiid has played less than 200 organized games of basketball.  In his life.  

By comparison, Lebron has played in 239 NBA playoff games. 

This is making me extremely nostalgic for the days before ubiquitous footage when we would get tales of Euroleague legends who would supposedly rule the NBA once they came over.  Dudes like Sofo, Tiago Splitter, Juan Carlos Navarro, Peteri Koponnen, and Jorge Garbajosa had soooo much hype in basketball circles.  It was a weird time.