DVDVR Message Board

2018 NBA OFFSEASON

Dolfan in NYC

I had to visit Basketball Reference to realize he wasn't who I thought he was. 

Not that I didn't know the player, but, you know, there was a point in time where I thought to myself, "Wasn't he pretty good?"  But no, no he wasn't.  He was a stat compiler whose best years featured better teammates.  He was and is basically David Lee, who was a laughingstock for years despite putting up similar numbers (and yet a better WS/48).

In honor of the G.O.A.T. Boris Diaw retiring from basketball please drink an extremely small cup of extremely strong coffee.

If there's one dude that will certainly enjoy his retirement, you know it's Boris.

boris-diaw.png

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
4 hours ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

Dwayne Wade announced he is coming back for one last season. 

Thinking of you in this trying time.

Jimmy Butler has requested a trade from the Wolves.  Amazing how quickly this whole thing fell apart for them.

ETA:

From Andrew Wiggins' brother, can't imagine why he deleted it:

DnekBETU0AAQw7X.jpg

• Haha 3

KAT and the Wolves agreed to a five year supermax and Butler won't be at media day or the start of training camp so I guess that's that.

What an odd situation.  I can't see Thibs being around much longer after this.

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/24788896/tom-thibodeau-pitches-jimmy-butler-rejoining-timberwolves

Thibodeau told reporters on Monday that, "We're not going to make a bad deal," and there is a belief among interested teams that Thibodeau is reluctant to bring strong offers to his owner for examination because he is still holding out hope to get Butler on the floor for Minnesota this season.

And what's this I hear about a 24 mil clause if he's fired? Like it all makes sense if that much $ is involved.

I wouldn't think the Heat could both get Butler and get off bad contracts, but the Wolves are very stupid.  Maybe if they take back Dieng, but that's more total money they're taking on.

If this does happen I'd bet on it being a package centered around Richardson, Bam, picks, and whatever it takes to match salaries.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, gatling said:

I thought the article I read yesterday or the day before about Toronto trying some sort of Lowry for Butler swap was an interesting idea.  I think it was on The Ringer maybe?

Jumping Jesus on a pogo stick, that sounds like a bad idea.  If Butler couldn't get along with his teammates in Minnesota with the help of his former coach, how the fuck is he going to coexist with Kawhi? Would they have to draw up plays in hobo code?

I know Jimmy Butler is really good (the Wolves were 13 points better in net rating with him then without, roughly the difference between a top five NBA team and a bottom five one) but he's not "we need useful veterans, young prospects, draft picks, and to come out with a better cap situation" good.

Like, there are maybe five players in the NBA worth that kind of trade.

It does sound like Thibs, at least, wants to price him out of the market.