DVDVR Message Board

2018 NBA OFFSEASON

Dolfan in NYC

DeRozan and Aldridge aren't exactly the perfect fits for the modern game. I'm sure Pop can win with them but it won't be required viewing like they used to be. Could be pretty hard to watch actually with Gay out there too. Plus 38 year old Gasol. 

• Like 1

The Spurs apparently turned down pick heavy packages from Philadelphia & Boston because they wanted a current player (PHI - Embiid, Fultz, Simmons or BOS - Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Horford, Kyrie).  Both teams absolutely refused to include any of those players. 

Agree wholeheartedly that this is a good move for TO. They weren't going to win shit with DeRozan and worst case scenario is they get to bid on the 200 quality free agents next year and retool their team. 

• Like 1

Yeah, this is great for Toronto and seemingly not-so-good for the Spurs.  I do think Poeltl will thrive there; he's been awesome coming off the bench for Toronto.

Doesn't sound like anyone in the trade is really happy about it.

ETA: I guess Kawhi really is threatening to hold out this year?  Good luck with that, bro.

I get wanting to trade DeRozan or Lowry. Not sure I would do it for Kawhi even for the cap space if he leaves. Cap space doesn't  mean much when preferred destinations also have it and free agents aren't flocking there. You end up overpaying for someone like Tyler Johnson or Dion Waiters.

Actually, it sounds like they won't have much cap space if he does leave. So they're either convincing Leonard to stay (and put them over the tax threshold) or potentially bulldozing the team if/when he jets.

They do have some interesting younger pieces. Just...not enough to match up with Boston or Philly for any length of time. Not even close.

This seems like one of those times where 'a good deal is one where both sides are equally unhappy'.

On 7/13/2018 at 2:15 AM, Brian Fowler said:

Interesting side note: With that signing, it now means every single player to finish in the top five in MVP voting in the last four years plays in the West.

Well, strike that now.

"I just stick to my strengths.  Look at the league... they don't pay people to play defense.  To say that's a weakness... you can say that's everybody's weakness" - Jabari Parker, at his Bulls introductory press conference.

I am now at peace with him leaving the Bucks.

• Haha 3

The Spurs got something for a malcontent which is good.

The Raptors can try to flip him to the Lakers for some young talent which sets up the Lakers becoming a complete mess.

I am not sure how all of the egos fit in the room.  LeBron will the main guy with the Ball shetshow on one side and a malcontent Leonard on the other.  If I am Ingram or Kuzma, I ask to get traded to Toronto in the Leonard package.

Full story

The Oklahoma City Thunder have agreed to trade forward Carmelo Anthony to the Atlanta Hawks, where he will be waived and become a free agent, league sources said.

The Houston Rockets are the front-runners to sign Anthony, who also is considering the Miami Heat, league sources said.

Along with Anthony and his $27.9 million expiring contract, the Thunder will send a 2022 protected first-round pick to the Hawks for guard Dennis Schroder and forward Mike Muscala. The 2022 first-round pick is protected 1-14, and becomes two second-round picks if not conveyed in that first year, league sources said.

The Thunder, meanwhile, will send Muscala to the Philadelphia 76ers for forward Timothe Luwawu-Cabarrot, league sources said.

Yeah that may be the move of the summer. Basically replaced the dead 9 million over 3yrs of Anthony's contract if waive and stretched, for Schroder's cheaper contract. And he can be an decent trade piece if they need to make room next year.

Saved something like 60 million too. I didn't think anyone would take the trade to help the out.

So Melo is gonna get his 29 million or thereabouts. Am I remembering correctly that if he gets a new contract with a new team, the amount he gets from new team just deducts from his compensation from ATL? If Rockets pay him $10 mil ATL only has to pay him $19?mil, right? So, essentially, he’s not going to be paid extra by new team, so he might as well play for the minimum?

please only pay him the minimum.

4 hours ago, Lawful Metal said:

So Melo is gonna get his 29 million or thereabouts. Am I remembering correctly that if he gets a new contract with a new team, the amount he gets from new team just deducts from his compensation from ATL? If Rockets pay him $10 mil ATL only has to pay him $19?mil, right? So, essentially, he’s not going to be paid extra by new team, so he might as well play for the minimum?

please only pay him the minimum.

That is correct which is why many buy out players can end up signing with teams in contention because they only need to pay the minimum without actually losing any money over all.

The Brooklyn Nets acquired Jared Dudley and a 2021 second-round draft pick in a trade with the Phoenix Suns on Friday, league sources told ESPN.

The Suns receive forward Darrell Arthur, who will be waived after his $7.4 million contract is bought out, league sources said.

The 2021 pick is protected to No. 35, league sources said.

Nets general manager Sean Marks has hoarded multiple picks in the next several drafts, including two first-round picks in 2019 and six total second-round picks across the 2019, 2020 and 2021 drafts.

The Suns will save $2.1 million on Dudley's $9.5 million salary for 2018-19. Phoenix had been discussing a contract buyout, but the Nets have a need for Dudley's shooting ability at the stretch-4 position, so he could stay with them for the season.

In another trade on Friday, the Suns sent $1 million to the Philadelphia 76ers to acquire center Richaun Holmes, a league source said.

Dudley, 33, will be starting his 12th NBA season and has averaged eight points a game during his career.

Arthur was acquired with Kenneth Faried in a trade with Denver, which brought the Nets a 2019 protected first-round pick.