DVDVR Message Board

2018 NBA OFFSEASON

Dolfan in NYC

1 hour ago, RIPPA said:

Yeah - Wojo said that Melo will sign a vet minimum deal with a contender

Making the assumption that either the Rockets or Warriors want him.  There is little left there, not like there was much there in the first place.

28 minutes ago, Brian Fowler said:

Rockets reportedly have interest for... Some reason?

Throwing in the towel.  Melo cannot be a volume shooter on that team.  Well he can if they pass the ball to him.  At this point, he is just a backup.

I don't know.  If Melo can be a decent threat from 3, he'll get open looks.  And he's good Harden insurance, so when Harden goes to the bench Melo can hopefully light up some backups.  He's better than MCW. 

And, generally, everyone that gets away from Westbrook improves tremendously. 

I assumed Rockets would be the favorite if they have money. They wanted him there last year, and now they can have him for less. And maybe he can provide some offense if Chris Paul's body gives out again come playoff time. It's not a terrible gamble considering they're going to have to gamble to beat the Warriors.

It maybe works if he plays most of his minutes against the bench players, but come playoff time when everyone's rotation shrinks it'll probably look like his time with OKC. 

19 minutes ago, jaedmc said:

I assumed Rockets would be the favorite if they have money. They wanted him there last year, and now they can have him for less. And maybe he can provide some offense if Chris Paul's body gives out again come playoff time. It's not a terrible gamble considering they're going to have to gamble to beat the Warriors.

It maybe works if he plays most of his minutes against the bench players, but come playoff time when everyone's rotation shrinks it'll probably look like his time with OKC. 

Rockets are the favorite if he gets bought out, but they can't trade for him, they don't have the cap space to absorb him without sending back similar salary, which defeats the whole purpose for OKC.

Bulls, Hawks, maybe even the Sixers if they decide they can't pry Leonard from San Antonio, could try to acquire him + assets in to their cap space and the then have the room open back up next summer. Maybe one or two others. But the Thunder can't really afford to part with any rotation players to sweeten the deal, and don't project as a lottery team anytime soon, so the price to dump him would be steep. Probably a first and second, maybe even another second. Which hamstrings a team that has about 6 or 7 useful players total and championship aspirations.

They're still about $8M under the tax and his qualifying offer is around $6.6M.  Given how tight money is around the league I would guess he takes the QA and then bounces as an unrestricted free agent next year.

Woof, the Rockets turning Ariza and Mbah a Moute into MCW and (presumably) Melo seems real bad.  Maybe they have something up their sleeve, but it's hard not to think they took their shot at the king and missed.

OKC is allowing Melo to meet with teams already

Apparently he has already met with Houston and Miami

Rockets fans better hope Melo still hates Mike D'Antoni

On 7/9/2018 at 8:07 PM, Zimbra said:

Woof, the Rockets turning Ariza and Mbah a Moute into MCW and (presumably) Melo seems real bad.  Maybe they have something up their sleeve, but it's hard not to think they took their shot at the king and missed.

Melo?  Yeah bad.  MCW?  Meh, they needed a backup point guard.  When Paul went down so went their chances.  I think they put up 60+ regular season wins but the Warriors now have the presence to go down low for sets which opens the floor up even more.

The biggest challenge for the Warriors right now is boredom.

Hopefully, the G-league is ready by the time the draft rule changes so kids who are not ready right away can get the minutes and coaching they need.

10 minutes ago, evilwaldo said:

Hopefully, the G-league is ready by the time the draft rule changes so kids who are not ready right away can get the minutes and coaching they need.

Needs to be that or play hard ball with the NCAA and get them to treat G-league like the NCAA treats Minor League baseball. Let kids play for a collage team till there season ends then go to G-Leauge. But to do this they have to go for two years before being called up to NBA team

Melo as a second unit scorer will be fine. They aren't committing much of anything to him either so what's the risk? If he's an asshole, they can cut him loose just like the Warriors can with Boogie. 

He could also end up on the Heat, which would be funny to me.

Rockets sign James Ennis! Um, ok. Decent defender, average from 3. I guess? If Mbah a Moute is really broken from the two shoulder separations I guess it’s a decent replacement. Still not a replacement for Ariza, but Ariza was declining, and PJ Tucker will be the new “glue” guy. 

Im loving Zhou Qi aka Joe Chee in the Summer League and wondering if he’ll be a serviceable Ryno replacement or if Ryno will make a comeback to where he was hitting 70% of 3s when assisted by Paul.

19 hours ago, muhammedboehm said:

Needs to be that or play hard ball with the NCAA and get them to treat G-league like the NCAA treats Minor League baseball. Let kids play for a collage team till there season ends then go to G-Leauge. But to do this they have to go for two years before being called up to NBA team

I don't know if they need to spend two years.  Some kids may be NBA ready and should be able to play.  The key is giving kids the right kind of opportunity to play 30+ minutes a game with NBA level coaching and understanding what pro life is like for development.

I don't think that playing 10 minutes a night or sitting on the bench will develop an 18 year old as much as playing 30+ minutes a night in the G league.  Long term the kid playing 30 minutes a night has a better chance of developing then the kid riding the bench.

Something like the AAA model for baseball is good long-term for the NBA.

1 hour ago, evilwaldo said:

I don't know if they need to spend two years.  Some kids may be NBA ready and should be able to play.  The key is giving kids the right kind of opportunity to play 30+ minutes a game with NBA level coaching and understanding what pro life is like for development.

I don't think that playing 10 minutes a night or sitting on the bench will develop an 18 year old as much as playing 30+ minutes a night in the G league.  Long term the kid playing 30 minutes a night has a better chance of developing then the kid riding the bench.

Something like the AAA model for baseball is good long-term for the NBA.

The two years would only be if the player is doing the NCAA/G-League split.

Isaiah Thomas veteran's minimum to the Nuggets. I legitimately feel so bad for the guy.

Interesting side note: With that signing, it now means every single player to finish in the top five in MVP voting in the last four years plays in the West.