DVDVR Message Board

2018 NBA OFFSEASON

Dolfan in NYC

It's only different because Lebron, a free agent, got to choose where he wanted to play instead of some old rich white dudes.  I mean, that's what it comes down to really.

If the claim is that this is Lebron's fault because he didn't stay on that Cavs team then it's a poor one and ignores history.  I think there's a much more interesting story on looking into the start of "HOF player A doesn't have rings, which means he's a choker, overrated, not as good as HOF player B, etc".  Power to do it is one thing.  Why they(players) do it might require fans and the sports media to look at themselves and their role in it, which isn't as easy as blaming Lebron, Durant, even the goddamn Celtics.

• Like 3

Mailman and Gary Payton tried to get one from the Lakers too.  Its one thing to have a team win every year. Its another thing entirely to stack a team so much that no other team has a chance at all. 

Barkley led his own team to the finals as the alpha. Won league MVP. Played the bulls to six games. He was old by the time he got to Houston. Durant was up 3-1 on a 73-9 team and then joined them. It's not similar no matter how much you try to say it is.

• Like 1

The super teams of old were formed at the end of careers when they were chasing a ring because they thought it defined their NBA careers.  They didn't chase in their prime.

I don't blame LeBron because this decision is about his oldest son who recently enrolled in a LA prep school.  It is apparent LeBron wants to play a year with him and wanted him to get the best high school education and coaching.  The moment I saw the enrollment the decision was made.  LeBron said this was about family.

Any chance of him chasing titles now is out the window.

Where this hurts the NBA is if they thought about expansion after looking at the NHL's fees, it is now out the window.  How do you sell this to a prospective buyer like Seattle?  Come join, pay $1 billion, become a feeder team if you don't get good in year one.

4 minutes ago, Kuetsar said:

Mailman and Gary Payton tried to get one from the Lakers too.  Its one thing to have a team win every year. Its another thing entirely to stack a team so much that no other team has a chance at all. 

And they were way beyond being capable of leading a team

My question is where is the competitive spirit?

• Like 1

Tim Duncan wasthis close to teaming up with Grant Hill and T-Mac in Orlando.  This one is great because it would have been T-Mac and Tim Duncan's prime years so no one can do the whole "they were chasing rings when they were old so it's okay" excuse.  Doc Rivers blew it though.

I await the Anthony Davis rumors soon. 

No I see what you are saying especially with AAU but I dont find it to be a credible excuse.. KD has that famous tweet about "what happen to trying to beat each other?" From early in his career.. he knows what competitive nature is, he chose against it.

Can I just say I have no problem with a player trying to go to the team that gives him the best chance to win, but I have no interest in watching a sport were one team is so clearly better then all the rest and the final destination was already known?

Also why in gods name would ANYONE watch the NBA finals next year? It's going to be a sweep, and we all know it NOW.

• Like 1

Hm

Backcourt: Steph and Klay vs Kyrie and Simmons - Edge to the Warriors 

Forwards - Green and KD vs Giannis and...Hayward maybe? Edge Warriors

Center Boogie vs Embiid - East wins this unless Boogie returns to 100% way ahead of schedule.

1 hour ago, evilwaldo said:

Boogie is saying the he received ZERO offers in free agency, got pissed, called his agent and told him to ask GS if they would offer the mid for a year.

As much as people are hating this (and count me among them) this is a HUGE gamble Cousins just made.  He's already recovering from a serious injury that may make him a shell of his former self and he's not going to get nearly the amount of looks on a Warriors team, so his stats are gonna drop whether he is healthy or not.  He's potentially throwing away tens of millions of dollars.  Out of spite.  And to get a ring.

Pretty sure he could buy an NBA championship ring on ebay right now.  

I hate that it happened, but I'm happy for Boogie.  Dude was going to give a long term discount if he signed with someone long term this year.  Why not get rehab and get a ring?

He could've gotten 10 mil more and still had a one year contract from someone else, but health wise this is a way better situation.  He doesn't have to step right in and carry a team and he doesn't have to rush back.  Remind everyone who you are in the playoffs and get a proper deal.  

The season is over, but I can't wait to watch.

It's sort of poetic, really.  Cousins clearly believes the NBA is out to get him (refs, coaches.... whoever), so why not get them first?  

KD seemed genuinely hurt and somehow even surprised by the backlash he got from going to GS.  It almost felt like he didn't even realize what he was doing to the league.

This, on the other hand, looks like a man who knows exactly what he is doing to the league.  

• Haha 1