DVDVR Message Board

Smackdown is IIconic - 4/10/2018

Dolfan in NYC

7 hours ago, Victator said:

I got the impression Chioda was trying to stall to give Charlotte time to recover so she could properly defend herself. 

I just assumed he couldn't actually hear Carmella, since he's not part dog and probably can't hear in the range she was screeching in (I seriously hope Carmella never sounds like that in real life).

In all seriousness, Chioda reacting like he's never seen a WWE wrestling event before and had no idea what Carmella was trying to do made that segment.  I actually thought he was stalling because the segment was going to end with Charlotte booting Carmella's head off and wasting her cash-in..

Yeah - between the stalling and Corey Graves screaming SHE'S GONNA WIN! I think Carmella was gonna get screwed

Heck - even my wife - who isn't a wrestling fan said "She (Carmella) is gonna lose isn't she?"

Turn it into a storyline. Chioda thinks the MITB is not fair and, as an official whose duty it to maintain the rules and protect the superstars, he wanted to give Charlotte a fighting chance.

Leave it there but then on future cash ins Chioda refuses to start the match. Would be a good way for a heel to duck the MITB holder by making Chioda their 'personal' ref or for a comedy heel to keep getting screwed because there is a ref bump and Chioda comes down or they go to cash in after a match but the ref has left ringside already etc...

Would have been perfect if instead of Chioda is was Lil Naitch though. Him feeling bad and trying to stall to help Charlotte would have been an amazing little moment.

• Like 4

They did the refs screwing up her cash ins gag twice pretty recently so I get why they did it. Chioda walked all the way to the ropes then turned around one more time to ask her again if she was cashing in that was truly hilarious.

4 minutes ago, L_W_P said:

Turn it into a storyline. Chioda thinks the MITB is not fair and, as an official whose duty it to maintain the rules and protect the superstars, he wanted to give Charlotte a fighting chance.

That is what I think he was doing. Carmella was trying (and succeeded) in cheating Charlotte out of the title. He was trying to buy as much time as he could so she could fight back. That is what I find odd about WWE showing the backstage videos of her celebrating as being touching. She ambushed someone who had just got their ass kicked and stole her title. But I honestly don't get pro wrestling any more on a story level. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Victator said:

The first attempt by Daniel Bryan was nullified because Mark Henry was not on his feet. Then shortly after a near unconscious guy was pinned. 

It wasn't because he was off his feet, it's because he had an injury going into the show that night and was not medically cleared to compete.

The backstage videos are sometimes in character, sometimes not. With no labeling to distinguish between them. It's very odd.

• Like 1

I'm not unconvinced that wasn't the Mike Chioda version of flirting.

Really though, MITB is stupid. After Edge cashes it in on Cena that one year, some executives and lawyers get together and say "whoops" and close the loophole. 

That was 12 years ago. 

I've gotten some champions I like out of it. I enjoy ladder matches that crown "next top guy" types. But I'd nuke the cash-ins from space if I could.

But they get "moments" out of them, so they're never going away. 

1 hour ago, Brian Fowler said:

It wasn't because he was off his feet, it's because he had an injury going into the show that night and was not medically cleared to compete.

The backstage videos are sometimes in character, sometimes not. With no labeling to distinguish between them. It's very odd.

Wait wasn't it after a Show/Henry match?

11 minutes ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

Seeing that just reminds me, Daniel Bryan has fucking awful WWE t-shirts

Bryan's shirt is hardly the worst part of that. That honor goes to heel Michael Cole. I don't know what the fuck crawled up Vince's ass and died at that time, but we shouldn't have had to suffer for it with Michael Cole as the voice for a psychopath's rantings.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

Seeing that just reminds me, Daniel Bryan has fucking awful WWE t-shirts

Only two I have:

350?cb=20150202164939

Bought this at my first live wrestling event and Daniel Bryan was wrestling, April 2015.

350?cb=20140124035915

My Sister bought it for my 32nd birthday, March 2017.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, The Green Meanie said:

That begs the question - when was the first time they insisted that the champion has to stand up for the match to begin? The first time I can remember that was back when Dolph cashed in on ADR.

The first one. With Chioda, too. Edge had to wait until Cena could stand

EDIT: Edge cashing in on Taker didn't seem to have this rule, so I guess its just on the ref. Maybe its just Chioda who enforces it