DVDVR Message Board

Smackdown is IIconic - 4/10/2018

Dolfan in NYC

4 hours ago, jaedmc said:

Yeah, i got the sarcasm. And I like the heel turn and all.

My problem is that he is mocking a stereotype while being a heel. How does that make you a bad guy? It does in the WWE, because non-asian people can now safely boo him for it, because "Hey it's okay, he's in on the joke."

I also thought the AJ being "too emotional" shit leading up to the Mania match, reeked of some white writer who still sees Japanese people as the stereotypical cold, calculated, autonomous machines they were portrayed as in American propaganda films during WW2. That whole bit leading into Mania made no sense because he shows so much emotion in the ring to begin with, I'd say more than AJ anyway.

My point is that someone is writing these lines for him, and based on trackrecord I absolutely worry. Same company that has had it's Japanese men paired with women, so they can run angles where the asian fears they'll lose those women to the strong strapping white American men. 

Nakamura delivered it all perfect, and I love him more as heel already.  But if the idea is he gets heat because he acts the way redneck shitheads think all Asians are, then what difference does it make if he's in on the joke or not? He's still getting booed because of it.

It's very similar to the problems with Muhammad Hassan and even Jinder's championship run last year. 

The crowd laughed at the Nakamura line this week. That could be because it's smarter crowd than usual, but I can't say for sure. If he says it every week and the crowd boos, I totally get it. And I understand preemptive fears because this company's track record with race is atrocious, but I hope it was a one off. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Oyaji said:

The crowd laughed at the Nakamura line this week. That could be it's smarter crowd than usual, but I can't say for sure. If he says it every week and the crowd boos, I totally get it. And I understand preemptive fears because this company's track record with race is atrocious, but I hope it was a one off. 

Sure. But he's already performed in front of crowd's that "What" him because his english doesn't come out so smooth. So I remain pessimistic. I'm actually super psyched for him being an asshole though. I've been thinking all morning that for the next few weeks they could run more "Dream Matches" that fans want to see, and he always interrupts them. Maybe something like "You don't want to see this.... You want to see KNEE TO FACE." The Dream Match Killer has legs I say.

Also laughter isn't the best sign of a smart audience. Dave Chappelle said something after he bounced from his show. They asked him about what was going on during those last days, and he said something like "After a while I couldn't tell if the people I was working with were laughing with me or at me."

I guess but my take was they were clearly in on the joke with Shinsuke this time.

I don't regularly watch wwe tv so I forgot about him receiving "what?" treatment. That's certainly a good point, so let's hope this line is a one off. 

I did find it funny/interesting/something that they predicted the crowd being pro-Nakamura, and so had him interrupt a goddamn Styles/Bryan match, and then relentlessly, frantically uppercut another man in the balls, twice. It's so transparent and cheap, but effective, and almost endearing in how blatant it is.

Of course the heel turn will need more than that--he's the King, not the Court Jester, of Strong Style, so the low blows should probably cease--and I do hope the "more" isn't the too frequently used trope of a foreign heel (correctly!) pointing out the biases of a largely white American audience. Just let him behave as if he's above everyone else, while stomping their heads in.

• Like 1

I hope he doesn't just go with whatever they give him and takes a stand if it gets awful. If he has the stroke to do that, at least, and Vince sometimes likes guys that are forward with him. If they try to make him say that again, if I was him I'd be super pissed. 

The MITB cash-in was fine in theory, but it looked pretty bad in execution. IIconics have those flailing strikes I can't stand on lanky wrestlers. Charlotte mimicking Ric's shaky leg last stand mannerisms was silly. Carmella couldn't reach Charlotte's head with that kick even though Charlotte was hunched. The crowd was into it, so I guess that's what matters. 

48 minutes ago, Craig H said:

IIconic looks like Ilconic or Illconic, which is like something one of the Beastie Boys would have scribbled on a b-side.

an unrealsed track from the Ill Communication sessions, no doubt

• Like 1

I keep wanting to read Illmatic, when I see that.

Fuck ... this is the new "Bronze Babyshoes" joke isn't it?

ETA: B r a u n  S t r o w m a n, fucking autocorrect.  You overdo one joke, and you're too lazy to change your auto fill-in settings, and this is what you get.

2 hours ago, RIPPA said:

Go away

How the hell could he not see that coming?  Show of hands, who didn't think it?

Okay, now show of hands, who knew better than to say it?

And still he persisted.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Oyaji said:

The crowd laughed at the Nakamura line this week. That could be because it's smarter crowd than usual, but I can't say for sure. If he says it every week and the crowd boos, I totally get it. And I understand preemptive fears because this company's track record with race is atrocious, but I hope it was a one off. 

Nak essentially cut the “I don’t have to tell you my reason” heel turn promo, but threw in sarcasm because he holds Renee in contempt.

And I for one like Nak cutting short promos. It’s a nice change from twenty minute dross. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, RIPPA said:

Go away

So the first thing Paige does as GM is give us Daniel Bryan vs AJ Styles for 15+ minutes.

The second thing she does is get Shibata Is My Homie cashed.

She's already the best authority figure WWE has ever had.

• Like 9
  • Haha 5