DVDVR Message Board

WWE UK CHAMPIONSHIP TOURNAMENT SHOWS

RIPPA

It seems like a lot of guys who were in the tournament last year were 1st round exits this time around, which somewhat suggests their stipend didn't really help them to improve that much. 

Of the the new guys, Mastiff is obviously a keeper, Gibson's a decent heat magnet, Coffey's coming along but not sure there's another Dunne or Bate there.

21 hours ago, Infinit said:

Have they explained why they are dropping the shows on Monday and Tuesday afternoon, instead of Saturday and Sunday?

The only time they release new stuff on the weekend is after a PPV (like the Hardy 24 is debuting after MITB tomorrow)

In regards to the afternoon - 3 PM EST is 8 PM in the UK which is probably their first priority in marketing.

Jinny got hurt during the 4-way and they had to stop the match.

They are going to do the match as a 3-way.

Not sure what will air so it might be a mild spoiler but due to the injury - wanted to mention it

Saw a few first round matches yesterday and caught everything else posted so far today. None of the first round matches left much of an impression. Coffey/Mastiff seemed solid enough. Gibson/Gallagher was decent enough though Gibson came off as being a couple of levels below Jack. Webster/Gibson felt like the first match Webster was showing what he was really capable of before ending up so short. Coffey/Banks was nice enough. I dug the ending heel turn and set up for the final. The Final itself was easily the best match in the tournament. It was a good showing for both though nothing on the level of last year's Bate/Dunne final. Really didn't feel like we had anyone as good as Bate or Dune this year which was further illustrated by the British Strong Style vs. Undisputed Era match. That was good fun and probably one of Cole's better showings.

Overall I thought the tourney was a bit underwhelming and a step down from last year. Maybe it was because I didn't dig Gibson much. The Six-man was a bunch of fun.

Night 2 peaked with the title change and couldn't get back to that level the rest of the night. Storm doesn't do much for me, but she and Bazler had a good match going until the meh finish. The Black/Ricochet vs Dream/EC3 had it's moments, but also seemed clunky at times and that finish just seemed to take forever for EC3 to turn around. He milked it, but not in a good way to me. Finals checked off a lot of the epic boxes, but didn't draw me in. Maybe it's the fact seeing Dunne be the favorite or again that Gibson seems flat to me. Good technically, but a shadow of the Dunne/Bate matches on any emotional connection. Still excited to see how NXT UK develops in the future.

Just finishing up this after not paying much attention to it early. Enjoyed Night 1 more than I expected without knowing much of the participants at all. I liked Joe Coffey best and Webster seems pretty good. Night 2 felt like a big time PPV event. The tag title change came off like a great moment. My initial thought was why not Burch & Lorcan but knowing Lorcan's hurt now, this makes more sense. Thought both Charlie Morgan and Killer Kelly looked pretty good, like to see more from them. Initially felt very ehhh when they brought out Noam Dar, but it was a good match and by the end of it he looked like more a star than ever before at least.

Shayna/Toni was my favorite match of the shows. Loved Toni in the MYC last year and now here. Knew Shayna had to win of course but it still had me rooting for Storm. Thought the finish was great and smart in that I was really hoping Toni was gonna beat the count and have one last burst of offense but it was not to be, making Shayna come off killer and keeping Toni strong as well. Too bad they didn't meet in the MYC last year to add to their story but I'd love to see a rematch down the line. Pete Dunne as the epic final boss is the best. Felt the commentary and crowd both added to the match. Doesn't feel like Dunne's title win was as long ago as it was but he can reign for years. Close it out with the classic HHH "We ARE N X T" speech always great.

• Like 1

I'm watching Night 2 now. This medical leave has allowed me to catch up on a lot of wrestling. I'm currently watching Adam Cole vs. Wolfgang. One of my favorite things about nxt and now the UK shows is not feeling like WWE shows.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Wyld Samurai said:

Does anyone else want to see the Liam Gallagher looking dude fight the British Boyband Mark Andrews in a battle of BritPop?

I assume you mean "The Modfather" Flash Morgan Webster. I love his gimmick, and yeah, I'd be all for him vs. Mark Andrews. 

• Like 1