DVDVR Message Board

NHL 2018 - QUEST FOR THE CUP

RIPPA

The Canucks actually wanted to send their mascot Fin to be their rep at the lottery last night but the league wouldn't let them because the league sucks. Serious that should be the new rule: if your team has a mascot he has to be your rep at the lottery. Imagine how much more incredible tonight would've been if it meant we had Sabretooth, Youppi! and whatever the Carolina mascot is called anxiously awaiting the results of the lottery. That would be must see TV!

17 minutes ago, ChesterCopperpot said:

Not enough 

I wish I could like this about a thousand times. Send that scumbag to wherever Rafi Torres is these days.

8 minutes ago, Serious Darius Bagfelt said:

If you listen to the Brian Burke interview on Sportsnet he thinks if you give out stiffer penalties it will take hitting out of  hockey since guys will be scared to touch anyone

Brian Burke is the worst. Garth Snow hanging up the phone on him when he tried to strong arm Garth to give him the pick that was JT by having his stooges in the Tarannah media float the idea of Tavares pulling a Lindros and refusing to come to the island is the greatest thing Garth has ever done.

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, sabremike said:

So after that loss is it safe to say the Broooooooinz are pretty much... licked???

While my reaction was more of the "germs are gross" variety to Marchand's tongue sweep*, Outsports has an interesting take:

https://www.outsports.com/2018/5/4/17322002/brad-marchand-licked-an-opponent-again-he-needs-to-be-suspended

* - I find it laughable that "none" of the four on-ice officials "saw" what happened.  As if they all suddenly turned the heads AWAY from a post-whistle confrontation that lasted several seconds.  NHL officiating sucks.

Honestly the bigger news is Krug is virtually certainly out since he left in a walking boot. Boston is toast. It's been a good series so far but winning 3 out of 4 from Tampa is going to be pretty rough.

I will say that I took great amusement seeing tons of hockey media people who can never quite find it within themselves to condemn career threatening hits absolutely freak out on twitter about lickgate and how it most certainly should have been a gross misconduct (Paul Stewart then pointed out the gross misconduct isn't even in the rulebook anymore and hasn't been for years).

Spitting is a game misconduct, though, and this is basically the same thing. 

But, yeah, lots more freaking out over this than a million worse. 

This isn't 100% but I think you will find a strong correlation among people who hate PK Subban that they are the same ones who post the memes about basketball players being sissies and own at least one Screwdriver album.

5 hours ago, sabremike said:

This isn't 100% but I think you will find a strong correlation among people who hate PK Subban that they are the same ones who post the memes about basketball players being sissies and own at least one Screwdriver album.

I mean, I don't like Subban at all because his propensity for doing cheap shit like holding a player to the ice long after a play ends and the like. I mean, I get the meaning, but Subban does all the little things thay make a lot of players disliked around the league.

He's not Marchand bad or anything, but as someone who watches a team in the same division as him, he's kind of a dick.

10 hours ago, El Dragon said:

He's not Marchand bad or anything, but as someone who watches a team in the same division as him, he's kind of a dick.

Yup. He's a great player, but likes to dish out cheap shots, and then run for the hills crying to the refs when someone touches him.

Subban cracked me up earlier in this series when he initiated a hit in front of the net, fell down, and the cried for an interference call. 

This is the second time in two years that after the 2nd round of the playoffs, I can make a very strong case the Conn Smyth frontrunner is Marc-Andre Fleury.

(Last year in Pittsburgh was super weird because Murray was probably the best player in the last 2 rounds, but of course you can't split the Conn Smythe between two goalies so it was fair enough it went to Crosby.)

On 5/4/2018 at 2:40 PM, sabremike said:

Brian Burke is the worst. Garth Snow hanging up the phone on him when he tried to strong arm Garth to give him the pick that was JT by having his stooges in the Tarannah media float the idea of Tavares pulling a Lindros and refusing to come to the island is the greatest thing Garth has ever done.

Must be killing Burkie to actually have to tie his tie in his new on air role on Sportsnet.  

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Tabe said:

Subban cracked me up earlier in this series when he initiated a hit in front of the net, fell down, and the cried for an interference call. 

It may of been the exact same play, but there was a play in either game 1 or 2 where he tripped over Rinne's pad and immediately threw his hands up and looked at the ref.

Full disclosure though, PK is one of my top 5 favourite non-Jets. Love the guy. I even have a couple of his blazers from RW&Co.

DckMu7-X0AA9q2Y.jpg

I was pulling for them but it's time for the Best Crying Jordan Meme to make its annual appearance. All in all, it was a good run for that team without Joe. I don't care if he's out there on a sledge, he'll still be dishing up rad assists.

Vegas is so damned fast and good off the rush. It's been a long time since I've seen a team like that. And they're excellent at exploiting soft zones in a defence when they do maintain puck control in the offensive zone. I still hope Winnipeg or Nashville sweeps them, but they're really impressive and I could see them being a bunch of assholes and winning the cup in their first year.

5 hours ago, Dewar said:

Why would Rogers want a team from Vegas over a team from Canada in the finals?

According to what they said on Prime Time, the ratings for the Vegas games have been unexpectedly high (IIRC, 1,5+ million viewers) more than the second game of a HNIC doubleheader involving one of the western teams. It’s very possible the Vegas story is resonating even more than a potential Winnipeg final.