DVDVR Message Board

NHL OFFSEASON (New Season Stars 10/03/18)

RIPPA

1 minute ago, sabremike said:

You missed the point. The thing is if we kept ROR and did the Skinner trade we could've had a real competitive team for the first time in close to a decade. 

You still would have had big question marks in net and a pretty awful defense. You would basically be putting all your eggs in the basket of Dahlin being a hugely impactful defensemen as an 18 year old (which just doesn't happen), having very little forward depth, and a goalie who has never proven it at the NHL level as a full time starter (And I say that as someone who loves Hutton)

I think you guys are a lot better off long term then you have been in a while. I don't think you make the  playoffs this year, but I don't think you make it this year if O'Reilly is still there either.

40 minutes ago, Dewar said:

Chicago Blackhawks legend Stan Mikita passed away today.

Am I the only one here who when I hear that name instantly thinks of Stan Mikita's Donut Shop from Wayne's World?

• Like 1

So I am getting up off my ass and taking the initiative to do a trip from NYC to Buffalo the day after my birthday (11/13) to see my Sabres play Tampa. Using MegaBus for $10 each way and it drops you off a short walk from the arena. Got my game ticket on StubHub for $12 in the 300's. My goal of the trip is to finally get that elusive selfie with Sabretooth.

Interesting stats I saw: the two teams with the highest percentage of dump-ins this past season were the Cyotees and Sabres, the two teams with the highest percentage of zone entries were the Pens and Lightning. It's almost as if the dinosaurs who hold up dump and chase as a viable strategy are total fools or something.

But it's not tho.

I know it's a different team, but the Millionaires sweaters were really nice too and it was nice to see them back for the Luongo/Lack fiasco at BC Place. I'm cool with sticking with the blue, white and green even if the above are the ones I closest associate with the Canucks. The black is badass, though I did not love the white home version nearly as much. Anything but those WCE era maroon/silver shits please.

rvq4a-d_TWDXu-D-JYhxlF5fb2UGXAs7clFOwTPWEfGvVWJETKNDVrbza1egC5aens0ZctxZNbu9jYO_I15iFSO6I-QkdI1vI1bnDLSYtAVTsg2POP9FV8CCcVT6iEbq

The team was absolute anus during this period but this is a nice compromise between flying V and spaghetti plate eras.

The other team celebrating it's 50th that season won't be doing anything similar because if they proposed bringing back either the red and black or the slug there would be riots outside Key Bank Arena. 

1 hour ago, Oyaji said:

But it's not tho.

I know it's a different team, but the Millionaires sweaters were really nice too and it was nice to see them back for the Luongo/Lack fiasco at BC Place. I'm cool with sticking with the blue, white and green even if the above are the ones I closest associate with the Canucks. The black is badass, though I did not love the white home version nearly as much. Anything but those WCE era maroon/silver shits please.

The team was absolute anus during this period but this is a nice compromise between flying V and spaghetti plate eras. 

I'd be happy if they kept the current logo (which is pretty snazzy), but just went back to the black/yellow/orange colour scheme. Something about the blue/white/green just seems forgettable to me. Whatever they do, they just need to get rid of the superfluous VANCOUVER off the jerseys, this ain't baseball and you already got a logo there.

I will never be persuaded from my opinion that the V jerseys are super slick looking.

1 hour ago, Death From Above said:

The current jersey would look so much better without VANCOUVER, I agree, but it seems like giant name plates are a thing that triggers me. The SENS third jersey might be my pick as worst 3rd of this generation.

The Sabres mustard jersey from a few years ago mocks that opinion (in fact it was a running gag for the past decade of how we would constantly come up with 3rd jerseys that were progressively worse than the prior ones).

I don't have any idea how to post tweets (I barely know how to use my goddamned phone) but I just want to say that Roberto Luongo is God. That is all.

Did anyone north of the 49th parallel see the thing on TSN about Joe Murphy, who is currently homeless. As someone dealing with mental illness (extreme depression and OCD to be percise) and who is around people who suffer from it this was just heartbreaking to see. The guy clearly suffers from an extreme mental illness that has destroyed his life, and even worse is his ex wife saying he totally went downhill after suffering a concussion in a game in 1990. The league, of course, didn't give a fuck. The awful part is he apparently reached out to the NHLPA for help and those motherfuckers hung the phone up on him. That is a total disgrace but what else should I expect from a union that doesn't even give a flying fuck about it's active member's well being (witness them not wanting the league to deal with head hunting predators punitively)?

It's a sad story for sure. I have good memories of seeing Joe play. Part of the last Oilers Stanley cup team on the "kid line" with Adam Graves and Martin Gelinas. 

The NHLPA basically trying to wash their hands of the guy is a real, real bad look that goes against everything the organization was supposed to be bout.

• Like 1

Trevor Gillies announced his retirement today on Facebook. His claim to fame was his pivotal role in what is simply known as Fight Night. The backstory: in a game in Pittsburgh the Penguins beat up on a hapless Islanders team, and it culminated in a goalie fight where Rick DiPietro literally got his face caved in. The Penguin players on the bench were yucking it up as DP was being carried off the ice (one of them was MAF, which is why DP hates him to this very day and talked how he wants to "Punch the guy in his buck teeth" on his radio show). The Isles decided they had enough, and at the next meeting at the Coliseum decided to do something about it. In one of the most memorable moments in team history the Isles kicked the crap out of the Pens in every way possible in front of a rabid sellout crowd. The game was a significant turning point in team history as it galvanized the organization and led to a period of 3 playoff appearances in 4 seasons. 

Someone on HFBoards did a thread asking for things there is close to a unanimous consensus on in hockey. I posted "Mike Milbury is a moron". In just about 24 hours that post has received over 100 likes. 

On 8/31/2018 at 8:16 PM, sabremike said:

Someone on HFBoards did a thread asking for things there is close to a unanimous consensus on in hockey. I posted "Mike Milbury is a moron". In just about 24 hours that post has received over 100 likes. 

Yep, I'd agree with that.

Minor league baseball season just about over?  Check.

Michigan gags in a high profile football game?  Check.

NHL.tv sends me email to remind me of payment for subscription?  Check.

Awwww yeah, hockey season is around the corner, baby!

• Like 1