DVDVR Message Board

NHL OFFSEASON (New Season Stars 10/03/18)

RIPPA

Eichel switches numbers from 15 to 9. My reaction: go to Shop.NHL and keep waiting for the jerseys to go on clearence. Reminds me of a story from when I was a kid: in 1991 for my 14th birthday my dad spent $180 to get me a John Cullen Whalers jersey complete with the 75th anniversary patch. He was #15. Two days before my birthday the team traded Kevin Dineen, and a day later Cullen switched his number to the now vacant #11. So my jersey was obsolete before I ever received it. A few months later before a Whalers game I met him and when I told him the story he apologized and told me to stay here and he had something for me. A few minutes later he came back with a game used stick he proceeded to sign for me. The fact that he was such a good guy is why it's so bad his career ended up so badly. It wasn't his fault that he wasn't Ronnie, it wasn't his fault that his body broke down. Years later fate dealt him an even crueler hand of cancer. But he fought that illness and defeated it. He came back to play in the NHL again and in the process became one of the biggest heroes in the history of the sport.

• Like 2

Oh look Arizona acquired another LTIR player to get to the cap floor. Or does the sun and dry air magically cure skin diseases?

44 minutes ago, Death From Above said:

Arizona are well above the cap floor without Hossa's contract. 

OK I misheard that then. It's just hilarious that they keep aquiring LTIR contracts, just makes me scratch my head. After the next lockout would a team be able to do an amnesty buyout of a LTIR player to get them off the cap (this is assuming amnestys are part of a new deal, which is pretty much a sure thing)?

Also if Hossa somehow gets elected into the HHOF and he announces he is going in as a Cyotee he is pretty much the greatest man who ever lived.

• Like 1

Guy legit had a screw loose, think he was the modern leader in goalie fights. While it was totally wrong I still thought the thing with Holtby was hilarious just because of how absurd and ridiculous it was. He actually was awarded the 3rd star that night, which was quite the troll job by the Philly media. He was a troubled soul and I just hope he is finally at peace.

This makes me very sad but I understand the reasoning behind the move.

http://amp.newsobserver.com/sports/spt-columns-blogs/luke-decock/article214456059.html

After 39 years, Chuck Kaiton was officially out Tuesday as the Carolina Hurricanes’ radio play-by-play announcer after the Hall of Fame broadcaster was unable to agree on a new contract with the team. The Hurricanes plan to use a simulcast of the FS Carolinas television broadcast on their radio network this season instead.

• Sad 1

5 hours ago, Shadow said:

This makes me very sad but I understand the reasoning behind the move.

http://amp.newsobserver.com/sports/spt-columns-blogs/luke-decock/article214456059.html

After 39 years, Chuck Kaiton was officially out Tuesday as the Carolina Hurricanes’ radio play-by-play announcer after the Hall of Fame broadcaster was unable to agree on a new contract with the team. The Hurricanes plan to use a simulcast of the FS Carolinas television broadcast on their radio network this season instead.

Now I hope Tom Dundon falls into a vat of fucking Ebola and dies. Chuck Kaiton is a legend. If the Wolf Pack were smart they would give him an amazing offer to come home and work for them. That would be the greatest PR move they could ever do and actually make people in the Greater Hartford Area actually care about the team (getting a different affiliate than the hated rags would also help).

This is a lot better than the strategy of "spend the next several seasons being dogshit to get picks" everyone was under the impression Botts was going to use. I like!

Unbelievable trade from Carolina's standpoint in that I can't believe they traded a 50 point player entering his prime for a guy named Pu and not-so-hot draft picks. Are they that scared of his concussion history? Seems to have mostly stayed healthy the past few years.

There's a poll on our board for HF asking if you like the trade. 180 have voted. Only a single person voted no, which I found hilarious that there would even be one person to vote that.

34 minutes ago, odessasteps said:

They were just having the discussion on 590 about who is the worst owner: the new guy in Carolina or Eugene. 

The new owner of Carolina may be a giant asshole but he is still better than their old owner who is worse than Hitler and a boil on the ass of humanity.

45 minutes ago, Death From Above said:

Ah yes, "established player traded for Magic Beans", this always ends well for the Magic Bean Holder.

After this move the idea we did just that with ROR makes me sick. Keep him and add Skinner and we would've been a real serious threat to make the playoffs. 

1 hour ago, sabremike said:

After this move the idea we did just that with ROR makes me sick. Keep him and add Skinner and we would've been a real serious threat to make the playoffs. 

There is a big big difference in trading Skinner for a 2nd, some mid range picks, and a mediocre mid round prospect then trading O'Reilly for 2 NHL 3rd liners, a 21 year old 1st round pick, and a 1st and 2nd.

6 minutes ago, El Dragon said:

There is a big big difference in trading Skinner for a 2nd, some mid range picks, and a mediocre mid round prospect then trading O'Reilly for 2 NHL 3rd liners, a 21 year old 1st round pick, and a 1st and 2nd.

You missed the point. The thing is if we kept ROR and did the Skinner trade we could've had a real competitive team for the first time in close to a decade. 

Edit: OK see what you are saying, but 2 trash bottom 6 guys on bad contracts, a B- prospect who projects to be a bottom 6 guy and a late round first and second for one of the best 2 way players in the league is a shitty deal (and one we in no way had to make).