DVDVR Message Board

NHL OFFSEASON (New Season Stars 10/03/18)

RIPPA

2 minutes ago, Oyaji said:

When I was paying more attention to the league, Sobotka was a really good player. How was he last year? 

Awful. He came back to the NHL without the edge that made him such a good piece trying to be a skill player. The result was a 30 point season on the 2nd/3rd line, without the willingness to be physical or get into the thick of the fight. He was a player I was ready to sell for a 4th going into free agency.

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, sabremike said:

I just feel the need to mention that part of me feeling the way I do is that I am in a real bad stressed out and depressed point in my life with lots of shit going on and I look to sports as an escape. Instead today just made me worse because it took away that escape for the time being. 

I feel that. I love sports, but they're just so inherently silly, that I try not to get too up or down about anything that happens (though I reserve the right to freak the fuck out if the Jets ever win/Expos come back).

I apologize if I was too harsh in my needling you.

• Thanks 1

There is serious discussion about Tobias Reider being the Oilers experimental #1 right wing going into next training camp. Then again there are people in the Edmonton media that actually think Drake Caggiula is ahead of Jesse Pulljujarvi on the depth chart, so it's basically the same old shit show around here.

It just never ends.

You fuckers better not get a higher pick than us! We want to move on from one brother duo to another! BOOZE FOR HUGHES!

Jay Beagle on a 4 year, buyout proof contract? Why the fuck not?! Antoine Roussel? COME ON DOWN!

"But he drafts well!" ... HalfSmallGosling-max-1mb.gif

"That Kid Who Won the Calder" unfollwed JT on Twitter which amused me greatly. Wonder if he was the unnamed player who in a text conversation with Staple when informed about fans burning jerseys replied "I can't blame them"?

16 minutes ago, Oyaji said:

You fuckers better not get a higher pick than us! We want to move on from one brother duo to another! BOOZE FOR HUGHES!

Jay Beagle on a 4 year, buyout proof contract? Why the fuck not?! Antoine Roussel? COME ON DOWN!

"But he drafts well!" ... HalfSmallGosling-max-1mb.gif

You can try as hard as you want but you can't outfail Botts and Housley! They are the Steph and KD of failing in hockey.

7 hours ago, El Dragon said:

*coughs softly, and moves his Blues fandom away from the Oilers, Canucks, and Sabres fandom, because I'm worried it's contagious*

I laughed but if we are being honest the Blues are like the only team in the league who've really had a sadder and worse existence than us and our expansion siblings in Vancouver.

Interesting seeing the betting odds for next year. All the stupid money is coming in on the Leafs and they are now the 7/1 favorite. Apparently people think signing a franchise center is going to fix their horrible defense. The smart bet IMO is the Jets at 14/1 because I think that is excellent value for a team that has a very real shot. 

6 hours ago, sabremike said:

I laughed but if we are being honest the Blues are like the only team in the league who've really had a sadder and worse existence than us and our expansion siblings in Vancouver.

Dude were you an Islander fan in the 80s? Explain to me how that experience is the same as being a lifelong Blues or Canucks fan.

Edit: forgot you were a Sabres fan too lol

6 hours ago, sabremike said:

Interesting seeing the betting odds for next year. All the stupid money is coming in on the Leafs and they are now the 7/1 favorite. Apparently people think signing a franchise center is going to fix their horrible defense. The smart bet IMO is the Jets at 14/1 because I think that is excellent value for a team that has a very real shot. 

36501981_2028843620524273_34243321432605

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Serious Darius Bagfelt said:

Just trying to make sabremark chuckle.  Wendel Clark.  Legend only in Toronto

Always liked him, one of my favorite players growing up. Always had respect for the guy. Dougie as well (IIRC he was on our 99 Conference Championship side as well).

51 minutes ago, Infinit said:

Dude were you an Islander fan in the 80s? Explain to me how that experience is the same as being a lifelong Blues or Canucks fan.

Edit: forgot you were a Sabres fan too lol

Basically I live in the N.Y. Metro area and got Isles season tickets 8 years ago (mainly because of JT, which is why what happened hurt so much) and from going to the games I couldn't help but to root for them and adopt them as a second fave. I hope they end up winning the Erik Karlsson sweepstakes, those fans would deserve to end up with a significantly better player than JT after all of this.

I've had a soft spot for the Leafs for a long time.  I'd probably go so far as to call them my team before the Panthers came around.   That being said, that graphic is completely invalid without someone:

Spoiler

The Leafs, in my life, have never had so much young NHL star talent, along with a deep talented AHL team. The Gilmour years and the early 00's Sundin teams took us on some fun rides, but they were for the most part older vets. 

Most definitely. But top heavy with youthful talent is something the Leafs haven't been in the past 40+ years. Lots of intruiging pieces on the Marlies too for filling in the bottom 6 and for trade bait too.

• Like 1

Only the Islanders could acquire a guy who pretty much bleeds orange and blue and begged to be traded here and it causes everyone infinite sadness. The fact that the player is Matt Martin and he is terrible has a lot to do with that. Hate to say it but people were right: Lou needs to be sent to an old age home and be replaced by Mark Hunter.

OK after the Instagram clap back to He Who Shall Not Be Named Matt Martin should be given a DP style lifetime contract even if he is completely washed up and terrible.

Lou taking a useful player as a cap dump from Tampa so they can get Karlsson would be one hell of a payback to Toronto. What's the old saying about youth and guile being no match for age and treachery? Oh, and then he'll offer sheet the hell out of Mariner in the offseason.

4 hours ago, sabremike said:

Lou taking a useful player as a cap dump from Tampa so they can get Karlsson would be one hell of a payback to Toronto. What's the old saying about youth and guile being no match for age and treachery? Oh, and then he'll offer sheet the hell out of Mariner in the offseason.

Age and treachery did help keep John Tavares, who signed with the Toronto Maple Leafs, if you had forgotten.

22 minutes ago, Infinit said:

Age and treachery did help keep John Tavares, who signed with the Toronto Maple Leafs, if you had forgotten.

Lot of good that's going to do you facing a TB side with Karlsson and Hedman.