DVDVR Message Board

NHL OFFSEASON (New Season Stars 10/03/18)

RIPPA

9 hours ago, sabremike said:

RIP Bill Torrey aka The Architect. Built a team that won NINETEEN consecutive playoff series which is something that will probably never happen again in our lifetimes.

Of course I like to wonder what if the Leafs didnt pass over Mike Bossy twice in the draft, and they had a real owner that didnt fight with players and gut the team what they could have done 

The nineteen series in a row mark is probably the most untouchable team mark in hockey. In some ways I don't think that Islanders dynasty gets nearly the credit it deserves because the Islanders have such a crappy modern reputation.

• Like 2

Also beyond the big 4 on that team, I won't include Gillies despite his joke of an inclusion into the HOF, they were a pretty no name lunch pail crew.  You just had the Montreal dynasty with their 9-10 Hall of Famers and with the Isalnders you had John Tonelli, Butch Goring, Lorne Henning and Anders Kallur

12 hours ago, Serious Darius Bagfelt said:

I was wondering when the will Toronto sign John Tavares talk was going to begin and Sportsnet did a story on it today.  

I think the people running the team are smart enough to see that they need to put their cap money towards the glaring weakness on defense and not on a franchise center. Oh and the Islanders are going to give him a fuckton of money and he will stay.

Just now, Infinit said:

Not until after the draft, hopefully.

He’s under contract until June 30th, so I doubt he leaves before then. It seems rare for guys to move, especially those in scouting, before the draft. 

• Like 1

Boston University coach David Quinn has informed school officials that he intends to leave for the vacant New York Rangers head-coaching position, sources have told ESPN's John Buccigross.

Quinn, 51, would replace Alain Vigneault, who was fired after amassing a 226-147-37 record over five seasons.

Quinn and the Rangers, according to multiple reports, have discussed a five-year contract worth approximately $2.5 million annually, but a source with knowledge of the negotiations told ESPN that a deal isn't done.

Rangers general manager Jeff Gorton is in Denmark until Monday for the IIHF World Championships. It's expected details will be ironed out with Quinn when Gorton returns.

Now they just need to have Generalisimo Garth hanged from a balcony at the team's headquarters. And then fire every coach for both the Isles and their AHL affiliate in Bridgeport.

There are whispers that Nashville wants to get rid of Subban. Lou needs to inquire about that and offer anyone except the Barzilla for him. He would totally OWN New York like no hockey player ever has.

2 hours ago, Dewar said:

Evander Kane got 7 years, 7 million per season from San Jose. Apparently scoring 30 goals once in his career really impressed the Sharks.

And now we get their 2019 lotto protected #1 #Buffaluck 

10 hours ago, Dewar said:

Evander Kane got 7 years, 7 million per season from San Jose. Apparently scoring 30 goals once in his career really impressed the Sharks.

In 8 full-length seasons, Kane has scored under 50 points in 6 of them, 20 or fewer goals in 5 of them.  He has GOT to be the most overvalued player in the league.

Yeah, that's a tough one. My friend's a Shark fan and he's pretty nervous. He thought maybe 3 years around that money a few weeks back, possibly 4. But 7x7? Good God, that's risky. If he continues to play like he did this year, it's great. The odds of that happening seem pretty low unfortunately. However, I'd still like to see him alongside Jumbo Joe with a speedster that can get in on the forecheck for them. Somebody like Donskoi I could see working well with those two.

It also speaks to how shitty NHL free agency has become. Tavares is the huge exception, but it really is all about building through the draft the last 5+ years. Kane ranks somewhere in the top 5 UFA forwards this summer. Tavares, JVR, and Stastny are the only obvious ones above him. Then you've got Perron, Vanek, Neal, and some guys.

I will break so much shit if the Canucks sign fucking Tyler Bozak... But I don't put it past ol' Jim to further his assembling of my least favourite players through free agency and trades that make no fucking sense.