DVDVR Message Board

NHL OFFSEASON (New Season Stars 10/03/18)

RIPPA

As mentioned in the other thread - Rangers fire Alain Vigneault

You knew it was coming the second they announced they were blowing up the team.

I got an unexpected run to the Stanley Cup Finals out of it so I can't complain too much.

I guess it is the usual fear of what disaster to they hire next

I think your fears should be allayed for two reasons. If you look at how they've handled the timing and the execution of the rebuild, this management team seems to know what they're doing. Also, if they bring in a bad coach... Oh no, a higher draft pick! Perhaps the worst thing that could go wrong is the new coach alienates some prospects. 

Canucks finish sixth from the bottom when second place was basically right there with the likes of the coyotes going on winning streaks at the end. This seems to be the third year in a row that this has happened. Only saving grace is there isn't a huge gap in percentages but every single one counts because the prize is so valuable. Chicago finishes one spot behind Vancouver and if they get either of the two spots... I'll be cutting zandig level promos. 

5 hours ago, RIPPA said:

Red Wings extend Ken Holland for two years

Tabe looks for something to kick

I'm not too upset at Holland coming back. He's a couple years late to the party but has put Detroit in a good spot to rebuild. 2 first rounders this year, a ton of draft picks total, and a few young stars in place. 

Jeff Blashill is the guy that really needs to go. 

Islanders ownership is to public relations what Sean Avery was to humanity. They took an embarrassing situation and made it 100 times worse with a ridiculous statement that basically said "Sorry we sucked so bad, here's where we use accountability as a phoney buzzword without showing even an ounce of it and we got the arena deal so nothing else matters and we are great".

56 minutes ago, Death From Above said:

Peter Chiarelli said out loud that he liked Milan Lucic's skating.

That concludes my coverage of his end of season press conference. Thank you and good night.

Better than Barzal's?????

21 years ago today was the worst day of my entire life: my beloved Whalers played their final ever game. I have never loved a team as completely and unconditionally as I did my Whalers, even more than the 86 Mets (The only championship I have witnessed from my team in major America sports). I remember listening to the game on WTIC feeling nothing but pure pain and agony. There isn't a day since then that I haven't thought about my Whalers and how terribly I miss them and would give anything to have them back. There is a gaping hole in my heart from that day that I know will never heal. If there is a God then Karmanos will rot in the deepest bowels of hell for all eternity for what he did. I will never forget you, my beloved Whalers.

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

Dammit - now I am sad

http://www.espn.com/nhl/story/_/id/23217515/long-new-york-rangers-anthem-singer-john-amirante-dies

Long time Rangers anthem singer John Amirante died

I hope the league has teams hold a moment of silence tonight and tomorrow. Particularly would like to see one in Newark tomorrow because of how much he meant to the hockey culture of the region and also IIRC he lived in Jersey. If there were a hall of fame for anthem singers he would be in it, RIP.

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/13/2018 at 4:11 PM, sabremike said:

21 years ago today was the worst day of my entire life: my beloved Whalers played their final ever game. I have never loved a team as completely and unconditionally as I did my Whalers, even more than the 86 Mets (The only championship I have witnessed from my team in major America sports). I remember listening to the game on WTIC feeling nothing but pure pain and agony. There isn't a day since then that I haven't thought about my Whalers and how terribly I miss them and would give anything to have them back. There is a gaping hole in my heart from that day that I know will never heal. If there is a God then Karmanos will rot in the deepest bowels of hell for all eternity for what he did. I will never forget you, my beloved Whalers.

Breakfast? Breakfast, shmreakfast. Look at the score, for Christ's sake. It's only the second period and I'm up 12 to 2. Breakfasts come and go, Rene, but Hartford, "the Whale," they only beat Vancouver once, maybe twice in a lifetime.
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, Tabe said:

Kim Pegula (the co-owner) is taking over the job and there will be no replacement search to replace her. 

• Like 1

RIP Bill Torrey aka The Architect. Built a team that won NINETEEN consecutive playoff series which is something that will probably never happen again in our lifetimes.

Maybe had ownership would have left him alone Bill Torrey could have built something in Oakland with the Seals instead of trading all their draft picks to Montreal so they could draft Guy Lafleur for worn out husks of former players.  By the time he got to the island Torrey was smarter and didn't have ownership meddling when Montreal came hard at them for the rights to Denis Potvin.  Neat story Jim Devallano told when he was the Isles assistant GM.  Bill Torrey was thinking of drafting Mark Messier but everytime he sent Devallano to scout him in the WHA he would be a healthy scratch