The Heel Beatdowns Thread Revisited

Thomas Bugg

• 7 months later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...

Konnan dies at the hands of Low Ki and the other members of Promociones Dorado.

If you want to skip the comedy match of Simon Gotch getting killed by a fat guy, the No DQ match starts around the 35 minute mark or so.

Honest truth, everyone was up in arms over that Priscilla Kelly spot this past weekend, I am legit more shaking my head that the angle that played out was Konnan getting stabbed in the ring, and it's going to be resolved with a wrestling match instead of someone getting charged with attempted murder. At least when Lucha Underground had guys get murdered it was part of the conceit that this is a "television show about wrestling" and not a "wrestling show on television".

Those with NJPW World and haven't watched New Years Dash should check out the Suzuki Gun vs LIJ 10-man tag for a match that starts with a heel beatdown and continues along those lines for the duration. I love the booking of LIJ making a clean sweep at Wrestle Kingdom to then get obliterated by Suzuki Gun and end the triumph quickly.

• Like 2

21 hours ago, clintthecrippler said:

Honest truth, everyone was up in arms over that Priscilla Kelly spot this past weekend, I am legit more shaking my head that the angle that played out was Konnan getting stabbed in the ring, and it's going to be resolved with a wrestling match instead of someone getting charged with attempted murder. 

1. There is nothing stupid that happens in a wrestling ring that cannot be explained away with, "He signed a waiver."

2. If it were anyone but Konnan in there bleeding, I'd be outraged.  I like watching Konnan get beat down, so I'm okay with that.

3. Konnan is not a sympathetic figure for me, so his near murder doesn't really motivate me to pull for Tom Lawlor in the upcoming title match. 

I'm actually hoping that there is a booking swerve and Low Ki retains at MLW Superfight, even though Lawlor probably winning the title in Philly is the worst kept secret in pro wrestling right now.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, J.T. said:

1. There is nothing stupid that happens in a wrestling ring that cannot be explained away with, "He signed a waiver."

2. If it were anyone but Konnan in there bleeding, I'd be outraged.  I like watching Konnan get beat down, so I'm okay with that.

3. Konnan is not a sympathetic figure for me, so his near murder doesn't really motivate me to pull for Tom Lawlor in the upcoming title match. 

I'm actually hoping that there is a booking swerve and Low Ki retains at MLW Superfight, even though Lawlor probably winning the title in Philly is the worst kept secret in pro wrestling right now.

I appreciate the effort on point #1, but points #2 and #3 are...well-grounded logic that I cant argue with :)

• Like 1

I didn't have a problem with the beatdown mainly because the shank/spike/whatever looked weird and though you probably could kill Konnan by stabbing his donated (I think?) kidney, it's not like Low Ki went for the throat.

The best part was the roll of quarters cause it came out of nowhere and Ki sold the shit out of it.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

This could work out here. Basically they beat up on Perro Aguayo the whole match, and then all of the sudden Los Payasos (the wrestling clowns) run out to help. They take off their masks and it's Art Barr, Eddie Guerrero, and Black Cat. This leads to basically the rest of the locker room running out, including Hijo del Santo who immediately bumps like a freak, Psicosis, and a reluctant Fuerza Guerrera. The funny part is Fuerza and Santito both wearing shirts with their own masks on them. When Los Gringos Locos are finally on their way to the back the crowd showers them with trash. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...