DVDVR Message Board

[MMMM] WRESTLEMANIA XIX vs. WRESTLEMANIA X

RIPPA

MANIA XIX vs. MANIA X  

24 members have voted

1. 1. Choose the better Mania

This poll is closed to new votes

It was a tough choice but I went with XIX.  My point from the previous round still rings true, and as amazing as Bret/Owen and the ladder match were I couldn't possibly vote the show as a whole over XIX.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, NikoBaltimore said:

It was a tough choice but I went with XIX.  My point from the previous round still rings true, and as amazing as Bret/Owen and the ladder match were I couldn't possibly vote the show as a whole over XIX.

I endorse this post.

• Thanks 1

17 hours ago, NikoBaltimore said:

Well, as time goes on memory of what was decent but unspectacular and what was poor but not horrible fades. Were the filler matches at II and XIX better than X? I'll take your word for it, but I don't think it's unreasonable to vote based on what actually sticks out in your mind about the show. I couldn't remember a single thing that happened at XIX, and clicking through to the wikipedia summary didn't trigger much in the way of memories either. By contrast, X had two all-time great matches, one of which was historically significant to boot. That easily puts X over the top for me, even if Savage-Crush was memorably awful.

2 hours ago, tbarrie said:

Well, as time goes on memory of what was decent but unspectacular and what was poor but not horrible fades. Were the filler matches at II and XIX better than X? I'll take your word for it, but I don't think it's unreasonable to vote based on what actually sticks out in your mind about the show. I couldn't remember a single thing that happened at XIX, and clicking through to the wikipedia summary didn't trigger much in the way of memories either. By contrast, X had two all-time great matches, one of which was historically significant to boot. That easily puts X over the top for me, even if Savage-Crush was memorably awful.

By a huge margin, yes.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, tbarrie said:

Well, as time goes on memory of what was decent but unspectacular and what was poor but not horrible fades. Were the filler matches at II and XIX better than X? I'll take your word for it, but I don't think it's unreasonable to vote based on what actually sticks out in your mind about the show. I couldn't remember a single thing that happened at XIX, and clicking through to the wikipedia summary didn't trigger much in the way of memories either. By contrast, X had two all-time great matches, one of which was historically significant to boot. That easily puts X over the top for me, even if Savage-Crush was memorably awful.

XIX had some damn good filler matches to go with the more hyped ones so like Fowler mentioned I can safely say that's very true.

And looking at the Wiki pages for both I'm the opposite where I don't remember squat about the filer matches for X yet do for XIX.  And aside from nostalgic memories I'm not sure how you can believe that those were better than XIX.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, NikoBaltimore said:

And looking at the Wiki pages for both I'm the opposite where I don't remember squat about the filer matches for X yet do for XIX.  And aside from nostalgic memories I'm not sure how you can believe that those were better than XIX.

If by "those" you mean X's filler matches, then I never said I believed they were better. I thought I was pretty clear that I don't remember much of anything about either show's filler, which for me means they weren't important enough to sway my vote. I wasn't being facetious when I said I'd take your word for it that XIX's were better.

If by "those" you mean Owen-Bret and the ladder match, then yeah, I actually do think those were better than XIX. If that's what you're referring to, which matches specifically at XIX do you think were better?

3 hours ago, Michael Sweetser said:

I think XIX would be remembered a lot more fondly if the World title match had a different finish.  Any other finish, really.

Just for the record - XIX was the #1 Mania on 4 of the 5 random lists I looked at when doing the slight seeding for this.

It was #2 on the 5th list.

So I am not sure how not fondly it is being remembered.

• RIPPA locked this topic