DVDVR Message Board

Explain Your Profile Pic

A pic of Snooty the Manatee, who lived to the age of 68 and was the oldest manatee ever recorded. Tragically just after his birthday last July he was killed in a freak accident in his tank. I had the pic as my profile for years and keep it in his memory.

Years ago, there was a web site where you could upload a photo and it would Simpson-ize it into a Simpsons character. A coworker of mine did our whole team. Mine came out pretty darn close to how I look, relatively speaking, so I've decided to use it. 

TL;DR - it's a Simpsons version of my real life photo

• Like 1

I stumbled across a Youtube reel of 80s local commercials from Baltimore's independent UHF station, channel 54.  It took me right back.  One of them was for Luskin's, "The Cheapest Guy in Town!"  They were a chain of discount electronics stores.  The screen grab is Peak 80s Man, holding his top of the line "deluxe lightweight full powered car phone" (just 99.97 plus 90 day activation, a princely sum in the days of may youth).

• Like 1

Minoru Suzuki, student of Karl Gotch, One of the founders of Pancrase, current IWGP Intercontinental Champion, all around surely bastard that's not above doing silly comedy matches and one of my 5 favorite pro-wrestlers of all time.

• Like 3

I did a livestream of all of the Fire Pro Wrestling games before Fire Pro World came out where I tried to win singles matches in each game. In the old games, they would run galleries of portraits of their nearly-legal dopplegangers.

My avatar is an extremely unimpressed-looking rendition of Super Tiger from (i believe) Fire Pro Wrestling 3.

A panel from a Final Fantasy spoof web comic I read in the early 2000's for a while. Can't remember the name, unfortunately. My favorite 2 panel was when the party had defeated some cultists who had Ur in their names.

Black Mage: What if that's the name of the thing they were trying to summon? 
Red Mage: Like Ur'sula?
Black Mage: Or Jennif'Ur
background: *REALLY LOUD SUMMONING NOISES*
Black Mage: Just because we deserve this doesn't mean I'm not pissed off about it.

I used that as my work wallpaper at the law firm for about a year.

• Like 3

It is Hiromu Takahashi and Daryl Takahashi from Los Ingobernables De Japon. My favorite duo from the last year of wrestling who are members of my favorite stable which is lead by my current favorite wrestler Tetsuya Naito, and Hiromu is probably top ten for me as well. 

My avatar is the cover art for Daft Punk's latest album Random Access Memories.  My wife and I always have been big fans of their work.  I still remember as a teen seeing the Around the World and was instantly hooked.  They looked like stylish robots and with their sound it was super easy to get sucked into what they were delivering.  But RAM had a different sound from what they've done before.  It has this deeper vibe where they infused funk and soul and it worked so wonderfully well.  As much as I like their older stuff this is by far my favorite album of theirs.

• Like 1