DVDVR Message Board

NJPW Wrestling Hinokuni / Wrestling Dontaku 2018

lostinube

I finally found time for Okada/Tanahashi, and I think you really have to respect Tana for being willing to go out and work a match where the story is basically "I am over the hill and doing everything in my power just to be competitive with the champ and he beats me without even using his big match finish."

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, EVA said:

I finally found time for Okada/Tanahashi, and I think you really have to respect Tana for being willing to go out and work a match where the story is basically "I am over the hill and doing everything in my power just to be competitive with the champ and he beats me without even using his big match finish."

Yeah. But Christ what a great storytelling match it was. Real life, Tana is old and broken down but still really good, so that's exactly what he was in the match. Okada is unbeatable but not invunerable. Those slaps to break wrist control only for Okada to grab him by the tights to prevent another sling blade... 

I liked it more than any Okada match I've ever seen, including all three Omega matches.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

The chemistry of Hiroshi Tanahashi/Kazuchika Okada is like Ric Flair with Ricky Steamboat, Kenta Kobashi versus Mitsuharu Misawa, the Undertaker/Shawn Michaels and Kazuchika Okada vs. Kenny Omega. 

Here's how I'd rank the 10 Okada/Tanahashi single matches:

10. NJPW Wrestle Kingdom 7.

9. NJPW The New Beginning 2012.

8. NJPW G1 Climax 2013.

7. NJPW Wrestle Kingdom 9.

6. NJPW G1 Climax 2016.

5. NJPW Wrestling Dontaku 2018, Night 2.

4. NJPW Dominion 2012. *****

3. NJPW Invasion Attack 2013. *****

2. NJPW King of Pro-Wrestling 2013. *****

1. NJPW Wrestle Kingdom 10. *****

• Like 1

On 5/14/2018 at 1:20 AM, Brian Fowler said:

Yeah. But Christ what a great storytelling match it was. Real life, Tana is old and broken down but still really good, so that's exactly what he was in the match. Okada is unbeatable but not invunerable. Those slaps to break wrist control only for Okada to grab him by the tights to prevent another sling blade... 

I liked it more than any Okada match I've ever seen, including all three Omega matches.

What did you think to Okada vs. Omega IV?