DVDVR Message Board

APRIL 2018 MOVIE DISCUSSION

RIPPA

On 4/17/2018 at 7:50 PM, Curt McGirt said:

I remembered her from literally nothing else. And I've seen Private Parts about a dozen times. 

Oh and I don't watch Mom either, I just see the commercials all the time

She was a big standout, even among rest of the incredible cast, on West Wing.  Just ridiculously great on that show.

• Like 1

On Friday, I took the girls to see "Game Night." It's rated 14A and I foolishly let my 10-year-old watch it...

Spoiler

Luckily she didn't understand the obnoxious (and unnecessary) self-fellatio story...

Spoiler

But the bullet-removal scene had her dry-heaving and nearly puking all over me.

...which was not my smartest moment. My oldest and I enjoyed the Hell out of it, though.

I might have missed the thread, but I wanted to ask how many of you are using MoviePass right now?  I've been using it for a couple of months now, and I see experiences vary.  I heard they changed up their one movie-per day plan for new sign-ups too.  The subscription is likely about to make some other unpopular changes this year.

10 hours ago, _MJ_ said:

I might have missed the thread, but I wanted to ask how many of you are using MoviePass right now?  I've been using it for a couple of months now, and I see experiences vary.  I heard they changed up their one movie-per day plan for new sign-ups too.  The subscription is likely about to make some other unpopular changes this year.

Yeah, they raised the price and changed it to one movie per week. I considered signing up about 2 months ago when it was still unlimited, and only $8 a month, but then I read dozens of stories of people not getting their cards and all kinds of other problems. 

17 hours ago, twiztor said:

saw Super Troopers 2 tonight. laughed a ton and loved every second of. i surprisingly haven't really heard anyone mention it. if you're a fan of the original, i definitely recommend checking it out

I enjoyed it more than the first, actually.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Tabe said:

Yeah, they raised the price and changed it to one movie per week. I considered signing up about 2 months ago when it was still unlimited, and only $8 a month, but then I read dozens of stories of people not getting their cards and all kinds of other problems. 

And now you can only see the movie once. So even if you like it no multiple viewings on the Pass

On 4/27/2018 at 4:22 PM, _MJ_ said:

Absolutely loving my Moviepass. Price of less than one movie a month and I can see anything. The recent changes suck, especially with zero notice but I like it because it makes me take risks on what to watch. Something like Traffik I would have never paid for but it ended up being much better than I anticipated.

Speaking of,  last night I saw a film that is very limited released currently called The Endless. Highly recommend it when it expands or when it comes out on DVD. It’s about two guys who left a cult a decade prior who go back to the cult to visit and the insanity involved.

• Like 1

On ‎4‎/‎28‎/‎2018 at 7:59 PM, Control said:

Watching the first LONE WOLF & CUB movie and oh man I forgot that we’re introduced to Ogami Itto when he executes a toddler.

Koike does that on purpose, though.  At first you're supposed to get the impression that Itto is merely carrying out the will of a cruel Shogun, but then he gives Daigoro the ball and sword test and you realize he really is THAT ruthless.

Even so, a man whose job it is to kill people can't be expected to have an abundance of empathy.

All of that front loaded viciousness is there to make you appreciate the moments when Itto departs from his "howling demon" mentality and shows compassion towards people and pride in his son in his own stoic way.

One thing you can be sure of is that he loves the hell out of his wife.  He takes on that life because he believes it is necessary if he wants to avenge Azami and restore the name of his clan so that she won't be disgraced in death.

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, J.T. said:

Koike does that on purpose, though.  At first you're supposed to get the impression that Itto is merely carrying out the will of a cruel Shogun, but then he gives Daigoro the ball and sword test and you realize he really is THAT ruthless.

Even so, a man whose job it is to kill people can't be expected to have an abundance of empathy.

All of that front loaded viciousness is there to make you appreciate the moments when Itto departs from his "howling demon" mentality and shows compassion towards people and pride in his son in his own stoic way.

One thing you can be sure of is that he loves the hell out of his wife.  He takes on that life because he believes it is necessary if he wants to avenge Azami and restore the name of his clan so that she won't be disgraced in death.

Is actually forgotten how seedy LW&C is. Obviously I remember geysers of blood and lots of child endangerment, but there’s a ton of gratuitous toplessness, sex, and rape that I must have blocked.

I followed up the first entry with NEW TALE OF ZATOICHI (#3). It was terrific! Funny to watch two so superficially similar films, but where LW is so deeply unemotional and nihilistic, NEW TALE is deeply invested in the humanity of its characters. Maybe my favourite ZATOICHI (and man I really should have tried to watch them in order). 

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Control said:

Is actually forgotten how seedy LW&C is. Obviously I remember geysers of blood and lots of child endangerment, but there’s a ton of gratuitous toplessness, sex, and rape that I must have blocked.

Yeah, the writers of the LW&C series definitely spared no expense to show that the men that Itto puts in the ground by the end of the movie definitely had it coming.

My exposure to the LW&C movies was getting hammered with friends that had burned DVDRs of em and decided to watch, and what came off the most of was the rape. Pretty uncomfortable. IIRC we got through the first two in a row and just got bummed out and turned them off. 

I have the Cinemark Movie Pass. I only got it because Cinemark charges so much for their online "convenience" fees and those are waived with their pass. You also get a free movie each month and 20% off concessions. When I went to buy tickets for the Ready Player One premiere it just made sense to get the movie pass because the pass costs $10 a month, I had about $8 in fees waived, and one of our tickets was free.

I like it just for having fees waived and as long as there is a movie we want to see in theaters each month then it will pay for itself. My next free ticket is for Deadpool, Incredibles 2 after that, and then Mission Impossible. After that I might just cancel, but we'll see.

2 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

My exposure to the LW&C movies was getting hammered with friends that had burned DVDRs of em and decided to watch, and what came off the most of was the rape. Pretty uncomfortable. IIRC we got through the first two in a row and just got bummed out and turned them off. 

Yeah the overuse of rape is pretty reprehensible. Still less in each film than in the average GAME OF THRONES episode, though.

My public library actually has volumes of the ZATOICHI tv series, as well as the HAMMER HORROR tv show. I’m intrigued.