DVDVR Message Board

APRIL 2018 MOVIE DISCUSSION

RIPPA

On 4/6/2018 at 8:38 PM, Lacelle said:

A Quiet Place is the movie of the year. An amazing theatre experience & so much tension. Over delivered big time.

Yeah, man, everyone should go see A Quiet Place, it's up there with Three Billboards as my favourite film of the last few months. I guess grief and loss are my thing this year.

Just on the experience, I'm not a big fan of food at the cinema anyway (don't hate me, I'm just a grump) but there were maybe 10 people and the screening and the couple that had popcorn seemed super reluctant to make any noise eating it. I don't think it was because they were scared one of those fucking things from the film would show up and eat their face off but the silence was a-okay by me. If only the loud popcorn munchers and crisp packet rattlers had stayed quiet that time I saw Gravity. But then again Gravity didn't have cannibalistic alien monster death machine noise hunter type things. It had Sandra Bullock and George Clooney and they're adorable.

On ‎4‎/‎9‎/‎2018 at 5:38 PM, Fuzzy Dunlop said:

Yeah, man, everyone should go see A Quiet Place, it's up there with Three Billboards as my favourite film of the last few months. I guess grief and loss are my thing this year.

I posted a glowing recommendation blurb In the Horror thread.  Easily the best movie I've seen all year and that includes Black Panther.

A Quiet Place easily transcends simply being a horror film, which was how the trailer presented it. "Ooh, creepy premise, wonder how well it will get executed!" and then it's something so much more. Was surprised Krasinski directed it. I feel like this is going to get ignored next year come awards time, but it shouldn't be. 

I went to a morning show to try to skip the popcorn clowns, but there were still 3 of them. And then they went dead fucking silent once they realized how disruptive they were going to be. If only that had happened during Blade Runner...

• Like 2

Yeah, as I mentioned in my post above, it was a good-weird and a weird-good atmosphere when I went to it as it's the only time I can ever remember where people were super respectful of the film and the people round them. The couple of popcorners at my screening essentially wasted a box of popcorn so for a film to have that effect alone is kinda great, let alone it being a really good film in of itself.

But, yeah, as I say, not a fan of food at the cinema in general but that's a whole other argument. 

Funny, I prefer going to the local dine in AMC than the local Regal. Because I usually eat lunch when I go, so it saves me on trip, even if the food is overpriced. Luckily, the Sunday matinees are cheap, so it balances out. 

One of the reasons I only go to movies in the theater like 3 times a year is because of how expensive it is, even at matinee prices.  The insane combination of sodium and cholesterol that is movie theater popcorn doused in butter and that orange cheese powder is one of my favorite shitty foods though, and I always get a bag of that and smuggle in a can of soda.  However they just opened an Alamo Drafthouse in town so I may have to see what all the hoopla is about.

Watched I, Tonya with my folks last night and surprisingly they liked as much as I did, despite the domestic abuse. My own thoughts can be summed up by the unfortunately not late Don King: "Only in America!" The producers nicely side-stepping mentioning her sex tape was classy, and seeing Bobby Cannivale as the sleazy Hard Copy* guy was funny. My parents were particularly interested in the gal from Mom playing the mom and she was a true hell-beast dragon lady here, totally worthy of the Oscar she got. 

* Remember that shitshow? That dude probably went on to found TMZ. 

Woof... yes. At least while the credits rolled they gave us shots of her actual work. 

EDIT: My only other complaint was they were really heavy on the classic hits on the soundtrack, like Forrest Gump level. Should've put that rights money into a composer's hands to make a decent soundtrack besides. Then again, it does hit the era of the movie, and I was happy to hear Vivaldi.

So when I went to see Rampage this weekend, these are the trailers they showed before the movie:

Solo (OK, I get that)

Overboard (uhhh...)

Life Of The Party (uhhhhhh....)

I Feel Pretty (uhhhhhhhhhhh...)

So I totally get Solo, but the other 3? Are those really the movies you should be marketing to a crowd that came to see The Rock team with a giant gorilla to fight a giant wolf and a giant alligator? Really?

I just watched the 1940 Mark of Zorro for the first time since I was a kid, and I'm happy to report the dual between Tyrone Power and Basil Rathbone is still one of the greatest things I've ever seen. 

• Like 1

On 4/15/2018 at 10:40 AM, Curt McGirt said:

the gal from Mom playing the mom 

I weep that you've reduced the incomparable Allison Janney, winner of 7 Emmy Awards, to "the gal from Mom". 

• Like 1