DVDVR Message Board

APRIL 2018 TV DISCUSSION

RIPPA

First episode of this season of The Expanse was pretty awesome, but it is sad to see the weight of events wear down the altruism of the crew of the Rocinate.

I am digging Bobbie Draper finally being more than a peripheral character.

• Like 1

So finally watched the Paterno movie on HBO and it isn't very good but I guess is very detailed.  I mean at least almost everyone involved with this comes off awful except the reporter who broke the story and it wasn't completely one sided.  The portrayal of Paterno is pretty bad.  As someone who has dealt with Penn State football for decades I can tell you he never sounded like Al Pacino.  Maybe in the 60's he did but not in the last couple decades.  It is really that hard to have a high pitched voice.  The other thing that really can't make up their mind between an old feeble man who looks like he couldn't put a sentence together to a guy who had control over things and had the power.  Also this idea that Paterno sickness because of all the guilt of thinking that Sandusky may have fucked one of his own kids is a bit much

Wow that first episode of the new Lost in Space is very not Lost in Space.  

Let's make it real and gritty and dramatic and ... yea, no thanks.  I'll just go back and watch the old ones instead.  

@hammerva Yeah, I watched it the other day. I thought it was pretty boring to be honest. I didn’t get whatever hype was behind it. 

“Last Man On Earth” was pretty good recently. I’m interested to see where they go with this, as there’s only two episodes left. 

“Barry” was really good. This new plot twist should make things interesting. 

Besides the aforementioned “Paterno” @hammerva mentioned, I caught the second part of the Elvis doc (auto-correct changed that to Elias, which makes it funny), I thought it was alright. I’m not the biggest Elvis fan. Going by that second half I saw, jesus, his life sucked from his return after the Army until his death. 

I also watched the Gary Shandling doc. I thought that it was very good. I never watched his show when it was on, however I was always aware of it/him. Those clips of him in the later years were what I sadly remembered him by before. This sweaty, unfunny guy making stupid jokes. Having watched the doc, I need to go back and watch his old show. It looks, unsurprisingly, great. 

Killing Eve is fucking awesome. I binge watched the first two episodes on demand this morning. 

BBC America had done a lot to make the otherwise very dry Codename:  Villanelle novels by Luke Jennings enjoyable. 

It is understandable that showrunners went the route of placing the focus on Eve as protagonist, rather than the novel's approach of taking Villanelle's POV as hounded anti-hero.

Sandra Oh has taken the ball and run with her part.  She's very well cast, but she's also pretty much playing the MI-6 version of Cristina Yang from Grey's Anatomy so the role can't be that much of a stretch for her.

The writers tried to explain how a British born child of Chinese immigrants and former ex-patriate got a job at MI-5, but I didn't really buy it,  It is one of those things you will just have to accept.

I haven't seen too much of Jodie Comer, but she has also embraced her role.  Cormer's Villanelle cute and fucking scary as hell when she turns her murder on.  She reminds me of Dexter in that it is very interesting to watch her try to fake "normal" when she is in between contract killing jobs.

I started watching Fallet (Swedish for 'fallen', apparently) last night, and after a great start, I'm not sure it's going to pan out as well as I'd hoped. The first episode feels like Ricky Gervais wrote a Nordic Noir parody, which is exactly as uncomfortably funny as it sounds. But the second and third episodes didn't strike the right notes, and when the show's trying to be funny, I don't think it works as well as when it lets an awkward moment linger. That said, the two mains are both off their nut, so I'll probably stick with it just to watch them.

On Wednesday, AXSTV is airing a new Classic Albums that features Frank Zappa's Over-Nite Sensation and Apostrophe'. I've never been a big Zappa dude (musically, at least) but seeing the preview led to me downloading the albums and they're a blast. The first thing I thought when I heard Over-Nite was "this is a Funkadelic record". 

Lost In Space on Netlix is really pretty looking and actually pretty decent, but then again, I know nothing about Lost In Space so this is my first exposure to the brand. The robot thing reminds me of the Geth from Mass Effect, though.

15 minutes ago, Casey said:

Lost In Space on Netlix is really pretty looking and actually pretty decent, but then again, I know nothing about Lost In Space so this is my first exposure to the brand. The robot thing reminds me of the Geth from Mass Effect, though.

Congrats for not having seen the Gary Oldman version. 

On 4/16/2018 at 7:42 AM, J.T. said:

Killing Eve is fucking awesome. I binge watched the first two episodes on demand this morning. 

BBC America had done a lot to make the otherwise very dry Codename:  Villanelle novels by Luke Jennings enjoyable. 

It is understandable that showrunners went the route of placing the focus on Eve as protagonist, rather than the novel's approach of taking Villanelle's POV as hounded anti-hero.

Sandra Oh has taken the ball and run with her part.  She's very well cast, but she's also pretty much playing the MI-6 version of Cristina Yang from Grey's Anatomy so the role can't be that much of a stretch for her.

The writers tried to explain how a British born child of Chinese immigrants and former ex-patriate got a job at MI-5, but I didn't really buy it,  It is one of those things you will just have to accept.

I haven't seen too much of Jodie Comer, but she has also embraced her role.  Cormer's Villanelle cute and fucking scary as hell when she turns her murder on.  She reminds me of Dexter in that it is very interesting to watch her try to fake "normal" when she is in between contract killing jobs.

Wife and I watched the first two eps last night.  Not sold on it, but I'm planning to stick with it for the duration.  I'd disagree about Oh.  Not really sold on her performance.  The second episode hooked me more than the first probably because the second episode centers much more around Villanelle.  Comer's turning in a great performance so far.

Never read the novels?  They cast her in a more sympathetic light?  How does that work?  TV Villanelle seems to be too impulsive and unstable to keep up the killer for hire act for long.  She's got the killer part down, but seems likely to flame out or annoy her masters soon.  Her attitude towards the job is almost childlike.

2 hours ago, Keep Calm, Akira Hokuto On said:

Wife and I watched the first two eps last night.  Not sold on it, but I'm planning to stick with it for the duration.  I'd disagree about Oh.  Not really sold on her performance.  

I was actually damning her with faint praise.  The reason I think she's doing so well is that she's not playing a character that is all that different from Cristina Yang from Grey's Anatomy.

2 hours ago, Keep Calm, Akira Hokuto On said:

Never read the novels?  They cast her in a more sympathetic light?  How does that work?  TV Villanelle seems to be too impulsive and unstable to keep up the killer for hire act for long.  She's got the killer part down, but seems likely to flame out or annoy her masters soon.  Her attitude towards the job is almost childlike.

The show and the novels pick up around the same time so Villanelle has been careful and smart up to this point but in her arrogance, she's starting to make minor lapses in judgement and this has given Eve enough of a trail of bread crumbs to begin to piece together her movements.

She enjoys the hedonistic lifestyle that her anonymity and huge income provide for her.  She does not enjoy murder in and of itself, but she does enjoy the infiltration aspect of getting close to her target and she definitely enjoys outsmarting her adversaries and that is the reason she wants to stay busy. 

The reason she seems so childlike at times is because she is batshit insane.  Her seeming innocence stems from the fact that she has lived the lie of false identities for so long that she really doesn't know how to be herself.  It also doesn't help that her mind is wrapped in layers and layers of psychosis.

In the above respect, she's a lot like the television / literary character, Dexter Morgan.

On 4/17/2018 at 7:02 PM, Johnny Sorrow said:

They actually had the backdoor pilot on earlier this season. It wasn’t good.

I really wanted to like it. But did not enjoy it. Even Tim Meadows kinda shit on it. I can only guess the episode got a good response. 

I keep trying to tell kids, minus three years, the 90's sucked. 

CBS announced the following renewals

– Blue Bloods
– Bull
– Hawaii Five-0
– Madam Secretary
– MacGyver
– NCIS: Los Angeles
– NCIS: New Orleans
– Survivor
– The Amazing Race
– 48 Hours
– 60 Minutes

They had previously announced these renewals

– The Big Bang Theory
– Young Sheldon
– Mom
– NCIS
– SEAL Team
– S.W.A.T.

Basically get on CBS... never get cancelled

14 hours ago, Victator said:

I keep trying to tell kids, minus three years, the 90's sucked.

This is so true.  The 90s were great for music, movies, and other artistic things...but almost everything else sucked.  I remember some 23-year-old was telling me how he wished he grew up in the 90s, and I had to break it down like this.  For some reason baggy clothes were in style, even for women.  Everyone was terrified of AIDS, and you had to call a girl on the phone if you wanted a date, and if she didn't answer you had no idea if she was screening your call or just not home.  Now, it is acceptable to wear spandex yoga pants literally everywhere, you have a phone in your pocket that is a gateway to almost every single woman you've ever met 24 hours a day, and we aren't scared of casual sex any more.  Add the fact that the 90s were kind of ultra violent in a way that no one seems remember correctly, people were generally shittier to each other, and we didn't have access to almost everything via the internet.  The 90s were worse in almost every single way.

• Like 1

My caveat is I think now blows too, but the technology is awesome. 

But I'm also 37 and past the age where I am capable of liking new things. Plus I have hated everything since I was a teen. So its hard for me to gauge what is actually bad. 

On 2018-04-02 at 8:05 PM, Control said:

Is anyone watching THE TERROR on AMC cuz I watched the first episode and was very impressed. Excellent book and I look forward to seeing some of it realized on screen.

This is awesome and everyone should be watching it.