DVDVR Message Board

ROSEANNE Reboot

Raziel

Last Man Standing is such a blind spot for me that I genuinely thought Nancy Travis had left show business and had no idea she was on a successful sitcom for the better part of the last decade. 

On 3/29/2018 at 3:42 AM, Brian Fowler said:

It's makes the Jill Stein joke a bit weird for sure.

Roseanne lost the Green Party nomination to Jill Stein in 2012. So, that's a good chunk of the joke for her saying "Who's Jill Stein" (Yes, Roseanne finished in 6th place for President in 2012, mostly thanks to California, and 67,000 people voted for her, I am not joking)

This reboot has some real aesthetics of a Facebook argument.

Oh yeah, there's also a "some people think Roseanne went too far in the scene with Harris and the sink" article out there.. so, that's probably a preferable controversy compared to Roseanne's Twitter adventures.

On 4/4/2018 at 2:37 PM, Victator said:

Harris was born in 1997, she can go where she wants. 

Not necessarily. The whole series was apparently Roseanne's writing. In the original finale, she'd said that she changed some things around from how they really happened, such as Becky being with David and Mark being with Darlene.  So, Harris could have been born a few years later, and she just wrote about her as being born in '97.

I got the impression the book was only season 9. 

The last episode felt like a prime Roseanne episode in the old series. Becky finding out she probably can't have kids and her giving up on life after Mark died was a real gut punch. 

14 hours ago, Victator said:

I got the impression the book was only season 9. 

No man, apparently the entire series was her book. She made references to not knowing what really happened to Artie but "in my book, I sent him to outer space." Jackie was really a lesbian, Becky was with David and Darlene was with Mark.

Off topic, sort of. But, on Sunday night my eight year old was going out of her way to be as big a pain in the ass as possible. At one point I got up and cleared out the kitchen sink, hoping she'd follow me in the kitchen to see what I was doing.

That would have been true at the time, but the new season seems to have made the coda at the end of season 9 non canon. 

I was more poking fun about Harris being born in 97. I knew they were going to fudge on her age. Though I do think fifteen is too young. I have to admit this weeks episode was better without Darlene's kids under foot. 

2 minutes ago, bobholly138 said:

I am wondering what happened to Jackie's kid Andy. He was born in what season 6 or 7, but hasn't been mentioned yet.

Appears to have been retconned

In the first episode she mentioned him on a fishing boat. If you keep an eye out, you can spot a picture of who is likely the adult Jerry. 

I think they are being coy on Andy, so if later they need to they can introduce him to the audience. If you have Jerry and Andy on the show, you have to create two new characters since they were babies when the show ended. Which would mess up the chemistry of the original cast. Right now Harris and Mark both drag the episodes down. Harris moreso than Mark because you have another whiny teen. I think Harris being a twenty one year old college student would have been fine. 

• 1 month later...

The season ended and I enjoyed a lot of it. Their were things that felt very stilted. 

There were references to construction companies hiring illegal immigrants and the term "Illegals" was always used. Which did not feel very true to life. I think you would just says Mexicans. 

The one with the Muslim neighbors felt like a relic from the 90s in a lot of ways, minus  references to Wi-Fi.  One thing that did feel true to life was Roseanne and the neighbor having food stamp or EBT cards. Its rare to see poverty on TV now. On Blackish that family is always pissing money away, Dre rented a literal glass house. Goldbergs are always wasting money on crap. Which is fine, TV is an escape. But it is nice to see an aspect of poverty being represented. 

I think Roseanne being on drugs is dealt with too easy. Dan thinking the knee surgery will stop it is very naive. Its clear she is using it to mask physical and emotional pain. 

In light of recent developments. Maybe Rosey can die in surgery and the show can be call "Dan's House". 

On 3/29/2018 at 6:04 PM, Elsalvajeloco said:

I would think it's an opportunity for a paycheck for not a lot work, and Wanda is smart enough to eject on the chance it goes south. Then again, I've been burned by that thinking with a lot of black folks.

• Like 4

Sorry Roseanne comes off way too forced like a political commentator who is just saying stupid shit because they know it will get them on CNN frequently.   At this point it is hard to tell if even she believes anything she says now

It is strange how a show in the 80's/early 90's can be so similar to the original and so completely different at the same time

3 minutes ago, hammerva said:

Sorry Roseanne comes off way too forced like a political commentator who is just saying stupid shit because they know it will get them on CNN frequently.   At this point it is hard to tell if even she believes anything she says now

It is strange how a show in the 80's/early 90's can be so similar to the original and so completely different at the same time

I'm personally never going to sit around and worry about whether or not racists believe anything they say.  If someone is publicly racist they either are as racist as they show themselves to be or they want people to believe they are as racist as they show themselves to be.  Either way, fuck them.

• Like 9