DVDVR Message Board

ROSEANNE Reboot

Raziel

5 minutes ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

Or Wanda just wants the money. A lot of questionable stuff has black people involved just as a facade.  

I remember I was at happy hour, and Yuengling was pretty much the best discounted beer, so I ordered one.  One of my friends, a white dude, looked at me and told me they were big Trump supporters and I shouldn't drink that.  I looked at him and said, "I'm black, if I stopped spending money with corporations I found questionable, I'd never spend a dime."  Sometimes, a job is just a job...and a beer is just a beer.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, supremebve said:

I remember I was at happy hour, and Yuengling was pretty much the best discounted beer, so I ordered one.  One of my friends, a white dude, looked at me and told me they were big Trump supporters and I shouldn't drink that.  I looked at him and said, "I'm black, if I stopped spending money with corporations I found questionable, I'd never spend a dime."  Sometimes, a job is just a job...and a beer is just a beer.

I like how your answer was some cliche and not "I'm here to get fucked up", which would make more sense. That or "wait...how the fuck do I know you didn't vote for Trump?"

Either one works better.

A: Pretty sure Life in the City beat Roseanne to the same-sex kiss punch, depending on whether you consider PBS network TV or not.

B: How are they retconning John Goodman's character being alive, and sidebar, how much did they have to throw at him to waste his time with this again?

C: I bloody well hated this show the first time around, and the above message is the full extent of words I will ever waste on it. Whoever said "some things should stay buried" made a comment that was one word too long at the start.

9 minutes ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

I like how your answer was some cliche and not "I'm here to get fucked up", which would make more sense.

I guess, but I was at the bar to relax and enjoy my night, not to sit around wondering which one of these breweries is most aligned with my political views.  If I had to guess none of them would be anywhere close.

30 minutes ago, supremebve said:

I guess, but I was at the bar to relax and enjoy my night, not to sit around wondering which one of these breweries is most aligned with my political views.  If I had to guess none of them would be anywhere close.

If I ever feel like I need to start a sentence off with "I'm black and..." to a non-black person face-to-face, I'm sure whatever I say next is going to be translated and interpreted in several different ways. Second, I'm not sure that type of homespun wisdom works when you're talking personal preference and something that can be construed as systematic. We're coming off a film that just did insane business where black people came to the theaters dressed in West African garb to a film set in a fictional East African country on top of folks trying to bus loads of children to see it. Add in that people are trying to get funds to teach young black children about Afro-futurism (yes, we get this in a world where HBCUs are about have it rougher in terms of funding and many of their graduates can't do anything with degrees in already established fields of study). Then, folks have the nerve to say "well, it's just a movie." That's a bit different in context from my white buddies don't want me to drink a beer. That is unless your friends have a well known nationwide campaign to stop black people from drinking beer that gets plenty of TV airtime.

2 minutes ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

If I ever feel like I need to start a sentence off with "I'm black and..." to a non-black person face-to-face, I'm sure whatever I say next is going to be translated and interpreted in several different ways. Second, I'm not sure that type of homespun wisdom works when you're talking personal preference and something that can be construed as systematic. We're coming off a film that just did insane business where black people came to the theaters dressed in West African garb to a film set in a fictional East African country on top of folks trying to bus loads of children to see it. Add in that people are trying to get funds to teach young black children about Afro-futurism (yes, we get this in a world where HBCUs are about have it rougher in terms of funding and many of their graduates can't do anything with degrees in already established fields of study). Then, folks have the nerve to say "well, it's just a movie." That's a bit different in context from my white buddies don't want me to drink a beer. That is unless your friends have a well known nationwide campaign to stop black people from drinking beer that gets plenty of TV airtime.

In the same friend group there is a black dude who hasn't seen Black Panther, has no desire to see Black Panther, and is the epitome of the "Well, it's just a movie" idea.  There is also a white teacher who teaches in a majority black school who is basically peer pressuring everyone who hasn't seen it.  She basically just wants her kids to be able to see more black people in movies.  We live in a world with a lot of different people, with different ideas, and different values.  Sometimes people want to either watch a movie or not, with no real thought about it.  Some people see a movie and see how it affects people they care about.  My friend who brought up the beer, did it to make sure I knew their stance before I gave them my money.  He is a lawyer trying to fight for young black kids who get locked up for minor crimes.  He knew Yuengling's support of Trump is something I would probably have an opinion about, and I might decide to stop supporting them.  He understood what I meant and that I was joking when I made that comment.  I don't appreciate that Yuengling supports Trump, but I don't care enough to order more expensive beer that I like less.  I could stop giving money to Yuengling, but I'd just be giving it to another group of people who have dedicated their lives to getting people drunk.  I don't really expect any of those people to be on my political wavelength.  Tomorrow, Yuengling might do something that makes me stop drinking their average ass beer, but on that day I just wanted to have a cheap beer with my friends.

52 minutes ago, supremebve said:

In the same friend group there is a black dude who hasn't seen Black Panther, has no desire to see Black Panther, and is the epitome of the "Well, it's just a movie" idea.  There is also a white teacher who teaches in a majority black school who is basically peer pressuring everyone who hasn't seen it.  She basically just wants her kids to be able to see more black people in movies. .

There are black people already in films. For several decades. Shit, you can see actual real Africans in Nollywood films for free on Youtube. Hell, want something without ridiculous weaves and skin bleaching...try I'm Not a Witch and go from there. That's more representative of Africa than some bizarre amalgamation of Africa that only makes me question how much knowledge of Africa people have before Black Panther which wasn't designed for that anyway. It was a pretty good Marvel film and should be taken as that.

Also, I don't really need a neo liberal white lady telling me to see a Disney motion picture. She might be the same lady posting racist shit on Reddit after school. Who knows?

Sometimes people want to either watch a movie or not, with no real thought about it.  

I believe they call these people idiots. 

Some people see a movie and see how it affects people they care about.

....Right.

My friend who brought up the beer, did it to make sure I knew their stance before I gave them my money.  He is a lawyer trying to fight for young black kids who get locked up for minor crimes.  

If I'm about to imbibe something, I think political stances have already been taken. You don't need his protection. Also, I couldn't care less about his profession. That means nothing to me.

I could stop giving money to Yuengling, but I'd just be giving it to another group of people who have dedicated their lives to getting people drunk.  I don't really expect any of those people to be on my political wavelength.  Tomorrow, Yuengling might do something that makes me stop drinking their average ass beer, but on that day I just wanted to have a cheap beer with my friends.

I think that's super simplistic because what you said was a disservice to what you were trying to imply. If your buddy did the inverse and said, "Well I'm white and I'm giving money to the NRA or this anti-black political think tank because I mean...if I stop spending money with them...who would be able to fuck over?" and tried to hi-five you, the right reaction would be able to karate chop him in the goddamn throat on the strength of Ogun.

The only way to frame your reply to your buddy's weird informative tidbit to comfy his black friend about his liberal leanings without coming off taken aback is "uh, yeah you're putting a little too much into this thing where I'm slowly poisoning myself anyway". This sounds like something out of Get Out. Now, I wish I was there.

Also, I'm not sure how this ties in what I was saying about Wanda Sykes. Fowler was implying that would be balance there when really Wanda is there as a barrier and card they can play should they run into trouble. Remember when Bill Maher got in deep shit for the house slave stuff? Then, Dr. Michael Eric Dyson jumped his happy ass in there with the "Bill ain't a racist and is really apologetic." That's Wanda's job just in case they need her so I wouldn't put too much stock in her being a producer or w/e. That's not a criticism of Wanda as it is me saying that she is smart enough to know why she is there.

26 minutes ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

Also, I'm not sure how this ties in what I was saying about Wanda Sykes. Fowler was implying that would be balance there when really Wanda is there as a barrier and card they can play should they run into trouble. Remember when Bill Maher got in deep shit for the house slave stuff? Then, Dr. Michael Eric Dyson jumped his happy ass in there with the "Bill ain't a racist and is really apologetic." That's Wanda's job just in case they need her so I wouldn't put too much stock in her being a producer or w/e.

My point was she could be there to provide a different perspective, to be a meat shield, or because she just needed a job.  We don't really know which, but it could be any of those things.  Just like me drinking that beer could have been me supporting Yuengling's political stance, not caring about their political stance, or that I just wanted to drink cheap beer.  My point was that we don't know, and sometimes people just take jobs just like sometimes people just drink beer.

As for the rest, I don't know why you want to assume the worst in people putting their time, money and effort into helping people.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Contentious C said:

A: Pretty sure Life in the City beat Roseanne to the same-sex kiss punch, depending on whether you consider PBS network TV or not.

B: How are they retconning John Goodman's character being alive, and sidebar, how much did they have to throw at him to waste his time with this again?

C: I bloody well hated this show the first time around, and the above message is the full extent of words I will ever waste on it. Whoever said "some things should stay buried" made a comment that was one word too long at the start.

PBS isn't considered network TV. 

They revealed the last season of Roseanne to be a dream, that's how Dan is alive. 

Wasn't the last season a book that Roseanne was writing where Dan was alive because she didn't want to think about him actually being dead? I figured they retconned the whole season anyway. 

Goodman seems to have a soft spot for everyone involved, and it probably paid the same or better than adding gravitas to mostly shitty movies. 

10 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

That's exactly what trips me up. Union wages, lower class solidarity, power for the producer over the studio, yet she's fronting for Immortan Joe now. Then again, she's always been crazy, so hey.

It comes from ego. 

"If this reality TV guy can be president. I was the biggest TV star since Lucy. I can be emperor of Earth."

I loved the two episodes Tuesday. I thought it felt very organic. Like twenty years had passed for this family with a bunch of episodes we missed. One nice touch was how aged the house looked. I also liked you could see pictures of the fourth kid as an adult in the living room. The struggles felt more real than the last two seasons. 

Its hard to believe Roseanne Connor would support Trump. Maybe it is more a hating Hillary thing. Which is easier to swallow than thinking Trump can help anyone. 

24 minutes ago, (BP) said:

Wasn't the last season a book that Roseanne was writing where Dan was alive because she didn't want to think about him actually being dead? I figured they retconned the whole season anyway. 

The book was mentioned. Guessing everything up to the nasty argument they had in season 9 is canon. 

3 hours ago, supremebve said:

My point was she could be there to provide a different perspective

Yeah, I'm not that naive.

Just like me drinking that beer could have been me supporting Yuengling's political stance, not caring about their political stance, or that I just wanted to drink cheap beer.  My point was that we don't know, and sometimes people just take jobs just like sometimes people just drink beer.

Your weird personal anecdotes have nothing to do with Wanda Sykes being there just in case the shows goes a little bit too far.

As for the rest, I don't know why you want to assume the worst in people putting their time, money and effort into helping people.  

And this makes my point as to why Wanda has her job. If you need white people to be defended to the nth degree in order to convince black people "No, this is not what you're seeing", it ain't that hard to unearth some black person to do the defending. Shit, you had Kareem Abdul Jabar defending a fake ass Kathleen Cleaver in Rachel Dolezal. So if someone with a background in helping black folks out is caping hard for no good reason, I'm not shocked someone has to convince me the good nature of strangers I've never met before and don't know personally. If I overheard what you told your "friend", my outward response would be "......well, that was strange." However, in my head would be "did this negro tell this guy basically he didn't like thinking? Time to bounce."

BTW This reminds me of an interview Issa Rae did before her show came out where she said she was tired of talking about black issues and it was exhausting (for reference, her show before Insecure was called An Awkward Black Girl and not Awkward Girl Raised By African Immigrant Professionals in the Suburbs). At one point recently, she also said racism in Hollywood would die once all the old white men die which belongs in the "I Don't Understand the Dynamics of Racism" quote HOF. In addition, she probably lives a Neverland where white people her age somehow don't get older. These are the black people they choose to be on TV because they're a reflection of what they want to mold their specific demos to. Based on this convo, I'm seeing they're doing a very good job. 

Funny thing: I brought up Wanda specifically because she's an outspoken advocate for LGBTQ rights, not her skin color.

Throw in that Sarah Gilbert is the one spearheading the revival, and my point stands: the show is trying to be balanced in viewpoint.

Just now, Brian Fowler said:

Funny thing: I brought up Wanda specifically because she's an outspoken advocate for LGBTQ rights, not her skin color.

Throw in that Sarah Gilbert is the one spearheading the revival, and my point stands: the show is trying to be balanced in viewpoint.

How does Wanda Sykes tip the scale to balance that show in terms of viewpoint? This I would like to hear. I like Wanda's comedy, but I mean last time I saw it, she was talking about being married to a white woman. What can she contribute for me to say the scales about to be balanced? And I know Wanda from being the sassy black woman since the Chris Rock Show and not real life sassy black lesbian Wanda Sykes who gets into it with Immortan Joe supporters when she does shows in red states.

55 minutes ago, Brian Fowler said:

You know what? I'm not gonna do this. I'm a straight white male and I'm going to go ahead and assume your view is more relevant.

No, I get what you're saying. However, at the same time, the history of Hollywood is white writers writing black shows and now maybe they have 1 or 2 black writers throw something in. It can only be balanced so much no matter how progressive it's suppose to be. I wouldn't be shocked if Wanda did throw in an idea or two, but that's likely not the primary purpose why she is there. Hell, she might be there for craft services. I wouldn't bet on it though. She is there because she fits the minority jackpot. Black? Check. Female? Check. Lesbian? Check. Credibility and legitimacy with all those categories? Gold checkmark. That last one means the most because if they offend the wrong person like say a Laura Ingraham just recently did, you need someone to calm stuff down and stop sponsors from dropping the show left and right. It can't be an Omarosa (I see a pattern developing) or some writer who no one has ever heard of. Sarah Gilbert at least has personal investment in seeing this succeed. Wanda is a woman who has done well for herself, but that door is closing rapidly on doing crossover work that pays. When she originally signed on, she probably had no idea what the hell was about to take place. Maybe she did, but I would think it might be a different story should some type of heat come down. I mean look at the backlash folks got for performing or rumors of them performing at last year's inauguration. Poor Chrisette Michele lost all respect from black folks for taking that check I'm sure she needed because her career has been dead for a minute now. The problem is she fronted and didn't say that, which made the drubbing even worse. I'm not sure how invested at this point in her career Wanda is in this show to the point where she sabotages her standing with the only crowd she can come home to. Pride events probably pay her a lot because of her name, but defending a vehicle for certain talking points would end that. I would think it's an opportunity for a paycheck for not a lot work, and Wanda is smart enough to eject on the chance it goes south. Then again, I've been burned by that thinking with a lot of black folks.

For reference, when the Mo'Nique Netflix non-negotation thing happened a month or so ago, it came out Netflix also lowballed Wanda too and she had to go elsewhere to get decent money. Mo, I understand because she was blackballed and they weren't even going to hide they were trying to screw her over. Wanda has burned significantly less bridges than Mo'Nique and been in a lot more crossover projects and was offered LESS than Mo. That's not a good sign. 

14 hours ago, Brian Fowler said:

It's makes the Jill Stein joke a bit weird for sure.

At any rate, I think it did a decent job having a balanced viewpoint. Both Roseanne and Jackie came off as over the top, but still real. The rest though... It seems like they at least want to try to pull from both sides of the aisle. Which, I mean, the original show walked a line between blue collar white America and being one of the most progressive shows on television. IIRC, it had the first ever same sex romantic kiss in the history of network TV, for instance. 

At any rate, I enjoyed the first two episodes, probably partially because of the nostalgia hit.

I was dreading the political shit. Which is weird because nobody talks about politics anymore. 

But in the end the politics was a mask for how dysfunctional Jackie and Roseanne's relationship had become and it was not essential to the plot. 

20 hours ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

So clearly the workaround is Black Taylor Swift.

I don't know if my issues with Taylor Swift would translate if she was black.  My biggest issue with her is that she is the pop star equivalent to these potato chips. 

chips.jpg

The issues I have with her is when everyone tells me she's great looking, super talented, and some sort of feminist hero, when she's none of the above.  She's not ugly, has talent, and is the human personification of all the problems I have with the kind of feminism that excludes more women than it includes.  

I can't name a Taylor Swift song or never heard one so I will take your word on the "has talent" portion of that statement. All I know is the AT&T ad of her jamming in the studio like a twelve year old having a molly trip, anxiety attack, and a bout of Tourette's simultaneously is very unsettling everytime I see it.

A friend of mine (former roommate, bandmate) got a Taylor Swift poster for his wall in the apartment he was living at at the time as a gift from his then roommates, also close friends of mine. I had no clue he had any interest in her whatsoever and for that matter had no clue who she was. I would rib him and say I was gonna rub cum or spit or whatever on it and he got super defensive and angry. Meanwhile I'm sitting there thinking "who the fuck is this person on the wall?! The buying of the poster was a gag gift in the first place and now he feels it's sacred?"

In other words, it's funny finding out about a friend's celebrity crush when they really don't want you to know about it. 

• Like 1

So it's good to see Barr waited about 30 seconds after ABC announced the renewal to jump on Twitter and turn the reboot into a potential dumpster fire.