DVDVR Message Board

ROSEANNE Reboot

Raziel

2 hours ago, Raziel said:

So, the Mrs and I gave the Rosanne revival a look tonight.

We laughed our asses off, so I'll go with pretty good.

It felt a little forced to me, trying a little hard to be a little too sarcastic a little too often. And John Goodman looked like he was reading off of cue cards. 

That said, the second episode was better than the first, and I definitely laughed. The wife liked it a lot. 

The dialogue felt delivered the same style as old, but with an ‘18 twist. The thing is, that twist now, feels like they’re doing an SNL-type skit, where they’re waiting for the pops. 

Like I said before, I still enjoyed it. 

I did enjoy the “...taped in front of a live studio audience.” bit a lot. 

It’s a really bold choice to have Roseanne be a Fox News Trumpkin who hated Hillary for no real reason. It threw me like a motherfucker, especially because they hinted that it was Jackie who voted for Orange 45.  But that All In The Family shit is right on, man. At least as far as the intent. All In The Family actually makes me laugh. The jokes here are fine to good so far. The Jill Stein joke was great, though.

2 hours ago, Johnny Sorrow said:

It’s a really bold choice to have Roseanne be a Fox News Trumpkin who hated Hillary for no real reason.

Is it, though? She’s a Trump supporter in reality, so if anything, making her the “liberal” character as opposed to Jackie would have been a bold choice.

Is that Darlene’s real life daughter? That kid looks exactly like her. The son, not so much, but the daughter is a spot on doppelgänger if I’ve ever seen one.

I went into this show not knowing if I’d like it, but they convinced me real quick that this was going to be a good hour of television. The Jill Stein joke had me ROLLING, because that was literally me in November 2016. Of course, my state was always going to go to Trump - this show is set in Michigan (right?) where the stakes were a little bit different.

Super funny, though. Goodman doesn’t have a lot to work with, yet, but he’s still funny as all hell. 

1 hour ago, Casey said:

Is it, though? She’s a Trump supporter in reality, so if anything, making her the “liberal” character as opposed to Jackie would have been a bold choice.

It's a pretty bold choice when your show is on a network that has popular shows like Blackish and Scandal that are either openly anti Orange 45 or at least very critical of the current White House agenda..

The Rosanne reboot is the antithesis of Blackish.

If that was the point Johnny was trying to make, then yeah, sure, I get that. But it seemed to me that he was saying the Roseanne character was a bold choice to be the Trump supporter in the family, instead of Jackie like they were trying to make the viewers think at first, when I think it makes perfect sense for her to be the one that voted for Trump.

4 minutes ago, Casey said:

If that was the point Johnny was trying to make, then yeah, sure, I get that. But it seemed to me that he was saying the Roseanne character was a bold choice to be the Trump supporter in the family, instead of Jackie like they were trying to make the viewers think at first, when I think it makes perfect sense for her to be the one that voted for Trump.

Yeah, I think the point he was trying to make was in reference to ABC's overall programming schedule. 

On a network where Shonda Rimes owns Thursday night and given the issues she loves to tackle and content she promotes on her shows, a show like Rosanne is a very brave programming move.

Character wise, no. Rosanne is playing herself just like she did back in the day.  The person playing the character most unlike her actual self is Sarah Gilbert.

14 minutes ago, Casey said:

I don’t know if I want to hear more about Sarah Gilbert, because I love the Darlene character and that might taint how I see her on the show :(

Sarah Gilbert is an awesome actress and Darlene is still a great character.   Trust the process.

My issue with the show is that ideologically, it is a show for "them" just as Blackish is a show for "me." 

No network is really making the bold choice of softening ideology in their programming so that viewers can maybe take a hint and start compromising with people of differing political persuasions.

Wrapping characters and television shows in partisan bubbles Is still the way to go.

1 hour ago, Casey said:

Is that Darlene’s real life daughter? That kid looks exactly like her. The son, not so much, but the daughter is a spot on doppelgänger if I’ve ever seen one.

Sara Gilbert's kids are younger than that.

9 minutes ago, J.T. said:

Sarah Gilbert is an awesome actress and Darlene is still a great character.  Trust the process.

I thought you meant she was like, anti-LBGT or something. Come to find out, she’s married to the woman from Four Non Blondes! Whaaaaaat???

@Ace, that’s some damn good casting then because I legitimately thought that girl was her daughter. Spitting image of Sara Gilbert.

35 minutes ago, Casey said:

Yep, the new Rosanne joint has been retitled "Deplorables:  The Comedy" and "Whiteish" on the Liberal Twitter.

America will never heal.

At lest airing Rosanne's show gives ammunition to the idea that ABC did not cancel Last Man Standing simply because of Tim Allen's conservative leanings.  if they were concerned about conservative ideology in their programming, they'd have never aired Rosanne.

ABC cancelled the show because licensing the show from 20 Century Fox got too expensive, especially since the show's success gave the creators and actors leverage to demand more money and that cost would've been passed down to ABC.

• Like 2

Well that’s just all sorts of weird. Trump lost pretty badly in Illinois. So she’s one of the 30%+ that voted for Trump, but is still smug and arrogant about it because her guy ultimately won the electoral college and election.

Which somehow fits the character. So it makes sense, but it’s also weird.

It's makes the Jill Stein joke a bit weird for sure.

At any rate, I think it did a decent job having a balanced viewpoint. Both Roseanne and Jackie came off as over the top, but still real. The rest though... It seems like they at least want to try to pull from both sides of the aisle. Which, I mean, the original show walked a line between blue collar white America and being one of the most progressive shows on television. IIRC, it had the first ever same sex romantic kiss in the history of network TV, for instance. 

At any rate, I enjoyed the first two episodes, probably partially because of the nostalgia hit.

Roseanne being a Midwestern-based, lower-middle-class, conservative-leaning show that got busted out because of this

52 minutes ago, J.T. said:

ABC cancelled the show because licensing the show from 20 Century Fox got too expensive, especially since the show's success gave the creators and actors leverage to demand more money and that cost would've been passed down to ABC.

is fucking hilarious to me. The irony of it...

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Brian Fowler said:

Oh yeah, she's lost her mind. But her comedic timing is still great.

And, I mean, Wanda Sykes is a consulting producer on this. It's gonna stay balanced.

Or Wanda just wants the money. A lot of questionable stuff has black people involved just as a facade.