DVDVR Message Board

APRIL 2018 ANIMATED WRESTLING GIF THREAD

As I tried to explain in that WC thread from way back only for it to amount to talking to a bunch of brick walls (except for Tabe), TM/DK got shat on by people who were watching it direct comparison to what else was going on in New Japan in the early 1980's, not in comparison to an ROH spotfest from 2006. People who remember the New Japan '80s balloting, voting, and discussion remember that a hell of a lot of people watching the matches IN CONTEXT were shitting on them, too.

The worst TM-DK match is better than the best Takada-Koshinaka match from later on in the set, but both guys have giant, glaring flaws in their game, Sayama moreso than Dynamite.

• Like 1

When I first heard that term in the mid-late 90s, workrate seemed to mean how many moves could you do and how fast were you doing them. Yes, it is dumb (even if the goalposts of what that term means have now changed)

Additional reading:

Bill Thompson's excellent essay on workrate that was lost when WrestlingWithWords went down: https://web.archive.org/web/20170717234344/http://wrestlingwithwords.com/workrate/

A thread where Parv put the challenge to me on this stuff. It goes to some weird places from both Parv and Grimmas but it definitely did allow me to elaborate more which no one probably wants me to do here:  http://prowrestlingonly.com/index.php?/topic/33037-anti-workrate/page-1

• Like 1

Pro Wrestling Only seems like a nursing home, devoid of enjoyment of anything - whereas DVDVR is one of those gated communities for old folks that has a handful of cool old people, but also the occasional guy that’s all, “I miss the old days”.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

All I know is I was trying to watch Will Ospreay vs Liger in NJPW, when Osprey missed a flippy-doo and landed of his feet, then started selling like he'd blown his knee out. 

Then he did a Sasuke Special less than a minute later. 

Liger's a legend and Ospreay is apparently getting more credit nowadays, but that' just shit.  This is all apropos of nothing except to say that I guess we all have our lines where we say "yeah, this is good wrestling and this isn't."  And those lines are flexible.

Guest Edwin
17 minutes ago, Casey said:

Pro Wrestling Only seems like a nursing home, devoid of enjoyment of anything - whereas DVDVR is one of those gated communities for old folks that has a handful of cool old people, but also the occasional guy that’s all, “I miss the old days”.

PWO is Seinfeld.

DVDVR is Curb Your Enthusiasm.

1 hour ago, Casey said:

I only even learned this match existed yesterday. Have a gif:

rRnggp.gif

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

Gigante got robbed by that crooked referee.  Muta is attacking him with a chair in full view of the referee who does nothing and Gigante gets it for one second and then the ref decides to grab it.  The referee in the Tea Bag match does a better job of enforcing rules equally and he's a CARTOON.  Damn it McMahon, if Jack Tunney is a man of his word, this is the last we've seen of Rugged Ronnie Garvin.

23 hours ago, odessasteps said:

So, they are the Frank Miller & Alan Moore of wrestling? 

If Dynamite and Tiger Mask are Miller and Moore, then Dolph Ziggler is the Mark Millar of wrestling:  They've done some good work in the past, but it was years ago, and we'd all be better off if they both just went away forever.

32 minutes ago, mattdangerously said:

If Dynamite and Tiger Mask are Miller and Moore, then Dolph Ziggler is the Mark Millar of wrestling:  They've done some good work in the past, but it was years ago, and we'd all be better off if they both just went away forever.

Now I'm just trying to figure out who the Rob Liefeld of wrestling is and all I can come up with is jokes about pouches and a lack of feet.

1 hour ago, Goodear said:

Gigante got robbed by that crooked referee.  Muta is attacking him with a chair in full view of the referee who does nothing and Gigante gets it for one second and then the ref decides to grab it.  The referee in the Tea Bag match does a better job of enforcing rules equally and he's a CARTOON.  Damn it McMahon, if Jack Tunney is a man of his word, this is the last we've seen of Rugged Ronnie Garvin.

Muta is attacking him while ON a chair.  It's a technical difference but an important one.   Gigante grabbed it with evil intentions, which is when, as a duly appointed official and representative of the sport of professional wrestling, you have to step in and prevent its use. 

Besides, you have no idea how that chair got into the ring.  You can't punish Muta simply because a strong, focused wind blew a ringside chair into the ring and he ended up standing on it.

14 minutes ago, Michael Sweetser said:

Muta is attacking him while ON a chair.  It's a technical difference but an important one.   Gigante grabbed it with evil intentions, which is when, as a duly appointed official and representative of the sport of professional wrestling, you have to step in and prevent its use. 

Besides, you have no idea how that chair got into the ring.  You can't punish Muta simply because a strong, focused wind blew a ringside chair into the ring and he ended up standing on it.

This is why gifs are inadmissible as evidence in wrestlers’ court. 

• Like 2

The idea that you guys found out there was a Muta-Gigante match and didn’t immediately watch the whole thing is troubling to me.  

The Bullet Club cheated less.

Edited by Goodear