DVDVR Message Board

UFC 223: Khabib vs. Iaquinta (4/7/2018) - Brooklyn, NY (Barclays Center)

Elsalvajeloco

7 minutes ago, The Natural said:

Think about the people who have paid tickets for this event with what's happened. Oof.

I was actually looking into going to this event, but I decided to visit my cousin in San Diego next month instead.  If the price of the hotel I stayed in for Summerslam last year hadn't quadrupled, I'd probably be in Brooklyn right now.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, supremebve said:

I was actually looking into going to this event, but I decided to visit my cousin in San Diego next month instead.  If the price of the hotel I stayed in for Summerslam last year hadn't quadrupled, I'd probably be in Brooklyn right now.

Wow. You must be pleased you didn't go now.

I've been hyped all week for Joanna/Rose 2, and woke up this morning to discover nearly the whole goddamn card got massacred. At least the one fight I wanted to see is still okay. It's still okay right?

I know a girl who knew Conor back in Ireland before he was anybody. He was a piece of shit then and he's a piece of shit now. I hope gets his ass sued off. Goodbye Mayweather Money.

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, jaedmc said:

I've been hyped all week for Joanna/Rose 2, and woke up this morning to discover nearly the whole goddamn card got massacred. At least the one fight I wanted to see is still okay. It's still okay right?

Yes.

55 minutes ago, TheVileOne said:

What does it even mean when Dana White says "this is bigger than me firing him." It's not a real answer.

If you don't want to fire him because you are afraid he'd sign with Vince McMahon, just say no.

Remember that Dana does not own UFC anymore.  He is just the promoter/CEO rolled out right now.  

The final call will likely fall with WME-IMG.  The entertainment owners could take a different view since they are all about entertainment, not fighting.

---

That said, it should be the other way around.  He should be suspended by UFC and the athletic commissions so he cannot just wander off and do a boxing match.

---

Final decision likely rests with the names in the article.

http://mmajunkie.com/2016/09/ufc-releases-list-of-23-new-celebrity-owners-and-it-includes-a-bunch-of-friends-of-the-program

• Like 1

He would need sanctions by the athletic commissions in Nevada, California, and New York to put a halt to any plans, UFC or otherwise.  UFC can suspend him indefinitely.  Bellator can as well but the owners of each company are likely looking at a potential payday from Captain Train Wreck.  

In a nutshell, this is our society where we value train wrecks over civility because everyone wants to rubber neck a car crash.

Chances are, if Dana does nothing, the owners are the ones ultimately pulling the strings behind the scenes because they are entertainment owners, not sports owners.

So a guy who has won one fight in the last 3 years is eligible to fight for a title, but one who has won 3 fights last year against superior competition is not.  Makes all the sense in the world.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, TheVileOne said:

New York Commission is hot garbage.

If you are Khabib why are you even fighting tomorrow unless it's for a title?

He wants to smash someone then get on the mic and talk shit about Conor. 

8 minutes ago, Hail Sabin said:

He wants to smash someone then get on the mic and talk shit about Conor. 

Dude, this is the biggest comeup Khabib could have possibly hoped for.  It has become pretty clear that Conor wasn't interested in fighting Khabib since he won the championship...now Khabib is going to make an example out of poor Al Iaquinta and talk all the shit in the world before, during, and after.  They might want to put a lavalier on him now, and just record him until he goes back to Dagestan.  Conor threw his tantrum yesterday, and is going to look like the biggest bitch in the world if he doesn't sign up to fight Khabib.  You guys are talking about punishment from the UFC...shiiiiiiiiiiiit, you want to punish him make him fight.

• Like 1

Khabib/Iaquinta is now official w/ Khabib being able to win the belt. Sucks for Felder because he isn't going to fight his teammate Pettis. Hopefully, he gets compensated. I'm guessing that they'll both be put on the Chicago card.

I'll update the OP and add the weights and all that once I get time.