DVDVR Message Board

UFC 223: Khabib vs. Iaquinta (4/7/2018) - Brooklyn, NY (Barclays Center)

Elsalvajeloco

I was watching Tyson vs. Tony Tucker last Saturday (the last fight of a tournament they put together to get an undisputed heavyweight champion). Tucker had won Michael Spinks' IBF title that Spinks vacated because he didn't want to fight his mandatory Tony Tucker (really, he wanted no part of Tyson at that point). The night of the Tyson/Tucker fight, Spinks was in the top the rafters of the Las Vegas Hilton arena like Sting in 1996 WCW trying to create a distraction and bring attention to himself during the fight.

Don't duck and dodge a fight and then act like Billy Badass when someone is booked for another fight. That is the very definiton of bitchmade.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

See now all I want in life is to see Spinks dressed like Phantom of the Opera and to drop from the ceiling and I am sad I will never get it

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Some people saying it was staged, can’t see how that could be but whatever, the whole world is talking about UFC 2 nights before a PPV.

Read an article on MMAjunkie where they said that Dana “openly questioned whether Conor was on drugs” but didn’t attach a comment to back it up, anyone else read or see this?

12 minutes ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

Poor Reed Harris. He was also involved in Rodrigo Botti attacking Matt Brown the day after UFC 198. WEC Never Die indeed.

Are there two fighters you'd want to run up on less than Khabib or Matt Brown...both dudes seem like the hardest of hard men.  Conor can throw all the shit he wants, but Khabib does not strike me as the type of dude who will tolerate his foolishness.  Khabib's entire career is based on taking dudes down and beating them in the most devastatingly emasculating way possible.  That is not a dude you want smoke with.  That is before you even take into account that he comes from a part of the world where he's seen some shit that would make Conor's Irish mob neighborhood feel like Mayberry.  

• Like 1

If Conor McGregor was so angry, why didn't he just agree to fight Khabib Nurmagomedov instead of act like a coward? They are fighters and he could've been locked inside a steel cage with him without any legal ramifications. So...

1 hour ago, Ace said:

Dana had no problem instantly firing Paul Daley due to he sucker-punched Koscheck. In Conor's case, he hems and haws.

It's telling after that Bellator MMA meltdown that he was like, "I dunno. Conor might never fight again anyway."  

Dana has always been lax on how he treats Conor McGregor and basically let him do whatever he wanted, consequences be damned. He waited far too late to come down on him. 

There is no excuse for what he did in Bellator, and there's no excuse now. 

http://mmajunkie.com/2018/04/michael-chiesa-out-ufc-223-cuts-sustained-conor-mcgregor-incident-brooklyn-anthony-pettis-mma

Junkie says Chiesa is definitely off. Going by Ariel Helwani's Twitter, Ray Borg vs. Brandon Moreno fight could be off too.

EDIT:

The following fights are all but confirmed to be off now:

- Chiesa vs. Pettis

- Borg vs. Moreno

- Lobov vs. Caceres

That's just so far. We'll see if everyone is cooled off and ready to weigh in tomorrow.

• Like 2

Connor draws money, Dailey couldn't draw a dime. That's the difference. To steal a line from Arm Anderson: There are no double standards in MMA, only triple and quadruple ones. 

You know what would have stopped this? Conor not being a dumbass. Only an idiot would throw an object through glass in a venue with cameras ALL AROUND and several people with smartphones able to grab additional video of said incident.

• Like 3

If they can find a place for Jon Jones on the roster after the vile shit he did with his DUI hit & run, McGregor will be welcomed back with open arms and checkbooks once this fades from everyone’s memory.

Also, I have no stake in this, because I don’t really watch UFC anyway.

Not to defend Connor in all of this because he's obviously a fucking moron and should be jailed but I don't much care for Khabib's response.   "Come inside"  he says.  Well, he's the one who said "where's Connor?" and tried to intimidate his friend.  Where's Connor?  He's right outside the bus.  Instead of saying "come inside" why didn't he go outside and settle it?  If he got off the bus and handled it it would have made a lot of people smile.  

Ah well.. 

6 minutes ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

why didn't he go outside and settle it? 

Because he is not a dumbass and let Conor do his work for him. One person is going to be spending time in the clink and the other isn't.

Plus, it's not the ninth grade after school lets out.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

Because he is not a dumbass and let Conor do his work for him. One person is going to be spending time in the clink and the other isn't.

I didn't really expect him to go outside,  I don't care for the "come inside" comment. What does that even mean? 

"DRIVER!  Stop the bus. Everyone clear the path.  We have business to settle. This ends tonight."