DVDVR Message Board

UFC 223: Khabib vs. Iaquinta (4/7/2018) - Brooklyn, NY (Barclays Center)

Elsalvajeloco

I had that fight on in the background with no sound but holy shit did Magomedsharipov and Bochniak throw it down. Mago is the real fucking deal.

Can those that are booing Magomedsharipov get shot out of a cannon? Fuck off.

• Like 1

Fair play to Iaquinta for taking the fight and making it interesting for about a minute there. 

This thread is a good representation of the carnival that this past week was- 7 pages talk on the 7 days leading up to the show, less than a page on the show itself (and that was with me spamming posts). 

• Like 3

IMHO, Joanna vs. Thug Rose was a prematurely made rematch anyway.  I hope now Joanna will move up to flyweight where she won't have to cut as much weight and that title is probably easy pickings for her. 

Good on Thug Rose. I love Joanna, but I think going for this rematch was a bit of a misguided decision. I'm glad Rose gets a win to cement her title reign though. There are interesting fights ahead for her in the division, but I assume it will be her and Karolina or Jessica Andrade next.

Don't get me wrong, I do too but I think Shevchenko's underappreciated grappling technique and strength would be the difference when you take into account the size differential too. Of course there are ways Jedrzejczyk can win that fight but I'd have her as solid underdog. She'd be better off winning a few fights at SW and seeing if Rose can beat the likes of Andrade.

• Like 1

It's a point that will be hammered home ad nauseum if Joanna moves up; Shevchenko has three wins over her in Muay Thai. Add that to the fact that her ground game appears to be significantly better and it's almost a little lopsided-looking.

I mean that was basically the case for JJ vs. Thug Rose the first time. It was seen as a lopsided fight in favor of Joanna...and now Joanna is 0-2 against Rose. I thought based on intimidation alone, Rose didn't have a chance in hell of beating Joanna. That's what makes this sport interesting. The outcome isn't always definitive. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Oyaji said:

Don't get me wrong, I do too but I think Shevchenko's underappreciated grappling technique and strength would be the difference when you take into account the size differential too. Of course there are ways Jedrzejczyk can win that fight but I'd have her as solid underdog. She'd be better off winning a few fights at SW and seeing if Rose can beat the likes of Andrade.

I very much see Bate Estaca vs. JJ II because I think Andrade is just a super tough matchup for Rose. Add in the fact, Andrade can exploit the fact that Rose will probably slow down later in the fight. I can easily see Karolina vs. Joanna again for the right fight the winner of Rose/Andrade.  

I think Joanna vs. Valentina in MMA should wait because they don't even have a fully fleshed out division yet at 125. Way too soon.

If UFC does indeed head to Russia for UFC 228, who do you put Khabib against? There is a decent chance Canelo is suspended past Mexican Independence weekend so they would not go head to head with GGG-Canelo 2 and I don't see Golovkin- Billy Joe Saunders being that much of a dynamo on PPV either especially with zero Mexican fighters in the headliner.

As I stated when the date hold was announced, doing good business is a large stadium in Moscow is a big ask for someone who isn't ethnically Russian to headline. They got more than enough talent to put on it (Volkov would be a good choice for the co-main if you put him against a big name), but how much do you want invest in this show? We talking UFC 198 with several notable bouts but not a super big main event or UFC 205 levels of loaded?