DVDVR Message Board

UFC 223: Khabib vs. Iaquinta (4/7/2018) - Brooklyn, NY (Barclays Center)

Elsalvajeloco

3 minutes ago, Craig H said:

Fuckin' part-time fighters just showing up whenever and getting rewarded with title shots right away ;)

If he pulls off this upset, I'd be shocked...he does train with Matt Serra.

Just seeing the footage on the news I couldn't help but laugh at how much it looks like every WWE angle ever and with how often people have wondered what would happen if any of the WWE backstage stuff happened in real life.

Thanks to this bizarre goofball we have our answer, which was pretty much what everyone expected:

You would immediately be arrested and charged with assault.

• Haha 3

So let me get this straight. Al Iaquinta has only fought once in the last three years. A win over an un-ranked Diego Sanchez. He's eligible to fight Khabib. However, in that same time frame, Paul Felder has been way more active and won more fights, and also fought a ranked opponent in Edson Barboza, who he had a very close fight with, can't fight Khabib?  The New York State Athletic Commission is a joke.

The fact that all that footage is ready and edited to go so quickly puts me ill at ease for some reason. 

Something just tells me rather than punish McGregor, Dana White is going to try and book McGregor/Nurmagomedov even quicker.

Anyone that thinks this was planned is missing a brain cell or two. And a billion dollar company with a full staff of video editors pumping out a video in 24 hours certainly isn't unusual. I wasn't sure when we'd see Conor in the UFC again anyway, now I just find it even less likely it will be anytime soon. Its easy for UFC to turn the other way when Conor drops some slurs or flaunts around in his fur coat, its a whole different issue when his behavior injures other fighters. Every company/promotion has a tipping point and I think Conor finally found it, they won't fire him but I don't expect to see him fighting for awhile if ever for UFC again.

On 4/5/2018 at 10:53 PM, Niners Fan in CT said:

I didn't really expect him to go outside,  I don't care for the "come inside" comment. What does that even mean? 

"DRIVER!  Stop the bus. Everyone clear the path.  We have business to settle. This ends tonight." 

Perhaps Conor's like a vampire, he can only enter a building if he's invited in.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

35 minutes ago, TheVileOne said:

It's not that I think it was planned, but that they are trying to turn it into a promotional tool for McGregor's dramatic "comeback" and return.

Well the comeback isn't tomorrow. They're not going to link everyone back to a six month or year old episode of Embedded buried on YouTube. 

Buddy of mine who's slightly getting into the sport had his lady friend's brother tell him he should order the PPV and watch tomorrow with me, because she's out of town and he was "hey, Curt likes the fights, let's see". Then he got the bad news. He tells me the main fights are off and I get on here and read about THIS shit just now. Now, if you are a casual fan, what is your response? I get the prowres feel of "they're working us" but I also get the real negative feel of "this is supposed to be a real sporting event, they're backing down because this guy was a shithead". I'm not sure how I'd feel. You could bring him back (which will probably happen in some promotion) but this is absurd. 

In any case I just want to see Rose beat some ass just based on the commercials alone, since I haven't seen their previous match. But this kind of ridiculous shit is about as absurd as the McMahon/Cena-style suit Pat Miletich is wearing on the CES show I'm watching right now. 

6 minutes ago, Curt McGirt said:

I get the prowres feel of "they're working us" 

Why? If they're paying the NYPD and real judges to work people, then the WWE has been undercutting folks for two decades by using local wrestlers as fake security, paramedics, and policemen. Also, using real glass would be the dumbest thing you can do ever.

I just mean in the sense that Dana can somehow have a comeback fight that we'd actually pay to see. 

And me and my buddy are definitely playing Nintendo all night instead of paying for the fights haha. When you got TMNT and Super Mario 2 at hand along with any record you want to listen to ever, all bets are off

Just now, Curt McGirt said:

I just mean in the sense that Dana can somehow have a comeback fight that we'd actually pay to see. 

As opposed to the comeback fight people were going to pay to see without what happened on Thursday? Yeah, that doesn't make sense. At all.

Conor will have his diehard fans and his hateful detractors.  Both parties will pay good money to either watch him try to redeem himself or get his ass beat.

Dana will promote the Conor vs. Anybody fight regardless even though he already has a sterling example of what happens when you repeatedly give second and third chances to a fighter that never fucking learns from their mistakes.  The McGregor name will still draw money.

You can always count on Conor McGregor.  He will never fail to find a way to embarrass himself and your organization and sadly, there is still money to be made in watching him melt down.

1 hour ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

People were going to pay to see McGregor already but this whole story makes his eventual comeback even bigger.  UFC will most definitely exploit that. Like I said previously,  he's now the new Tyson.

I don't think he is the new Tyson in that boxing was able to go on without Tyson and create new stars without Tyson for the better part of 4 years. Was he the biggest star when he came back? Yes, but you also had Oscar De La Hoya. You had Felix Trinidad. You had Prince Naseem Hamed. You had a large core of fighters who if not were solid TV draws were on the brink of being an established name. Tyson basically had three or four different runs w/ various degrees of success. 

Outside of being a sideshow, McGregor's career is just a large three or four year cluster. Hardcore boxing fans knew of Tyson around 84, he got recognition around 85ish, and started winning titles in late 86. The sideshow aspect started around the same time as McGregor length/timeline wise but at a much different degree as we're still eight or nine years away from the Holyfield fights and about a decade and a half from FUCK YOU TIL YOU LOVE ME. The media amplified much of what was going on in Tyson's life in addition to the Miss Black America pageant stuff. So much of it was speculation. Yes, Tyson had vulgar and volatile interviews but much of the other stuff was behind the scenes. McGregor is already in full tailspin and he won a version of his first title not even three years ago. If anything, McGregor is Riddick Bowe except anyone in the McGregor entourage can sub for Rock Newman. However, Rock Newman's pro black Paul E. Dangerously bit is way more likable and appealing than Artem Lobov or Dillon Danis. It's funny going back and watching Bowe/Coetzer and Larry Merchant indirectly supporting Apartheid and white Afrikaners trying to be moderates because they had to paint Rock to be a troll heel. Some things just don't age well.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Kevin Wilson said:

Anyone that thinks this was planned is missing a brain cell or two. And a billion dollar company with a full staff of video editors pumping out a video in 24 hours certainly isn't unusual. I wasn't sure when we'd see Conor in the UFC again anyway, now I just find it even less likely it will be anytime soon. Its easy for UFC to turn the other way when Conor drops some slurs or flaunts around in his fur coat, its a whole different issue when his behavior injures other fighters. Every company/promotion has a tipping point and I think Conor finally found it, they won't fire him but I don't expect to see him fighting for awhile if ever for UFC again.

I don't think anything was staged.

That said, if you don't think the new Hollywood elite entertainment owners are not going to exploit this to make money you are crazy.

Conor is not getting released because Bellator would exploit him and make tons of cash.

The sad part of this story is that despite the world thinking Conor should get banned, he won't, because there are so many places from Bellator to boxing that will exploit his return to fighting that he can do whatever he wants and get away with it.  Welcome to our society today.