DVDVR Message Board

APRIL 2018 WRESTLING PHOTO THREAD

RIPPA

They technically let Demolition do the Freebird Rule in 1990 although I don't think they ever defended the belts as anything other than Smash and Crush after Ax's heart problems.

15 hours ago, tbarrie said:

On that note, did they ever explain why New Day was allowed to use the Freebird Rule? If not, does that bother anybody else as much as it does me?

The WWWF allowed that before the Freebirds were even formed with the Valiants. Spirit Squad were Vince flunkies, so they got special privileges. 

7 hours ago, sydneybrown said:

Ivan Koloff was a tank in those days, but if you look at his billed weight and height, he would have been somehow more massive than Brock Lesnar.  And that's assuming Brock's stats are legit.

Watching a bunch of All Star Wrestling on the network and I think there are only like three wrestlers they announce as under 300 lbs. 

The kayfabe explanation for New Day using Freebird rules was because they were heels and the Authority said they could

In the non-kayfabe sense - the WWE wanted to reintroduce it because they were starting to get stable heavy so it was to train the fans that it could happen.

Remember the Wyatts with Bray/Orton/Harper used Freebird rules too

38 minutes ago, tbarrie said:

Did they actually say that on-air? That would mollify me.

They did (as did the Wyatts later on)

I just can't find the specific clip of when it happened (It was within the first week of defending the titles since they wrestled Tyson/Cesaro for the titles on the Smackdown after winning the titles at Extreme Rules)

On 4/19/2018 at 1:39 PM, tbarrie said:

On that note, did they ever explain why New Day was allowed to use the Freebird Rule? If not, does that bother anybody else as much as it does me?

I don't believe they ever gave an official explanation, and if they did it was a one off, never really mentioned again. At this point its just kind of the norm since UE and Sanity use it as well.

5 minutes ago, (BP) said:

"There's a mushroom cloud on my chest because there's an explosion in my pants," could've been just as huge as "Whatchya gonna do when  Hulkamania runs wild on you." We'll just never know. 

That is such a Thunderlips line if there ever was one.

• Like 1