DVDVR Message Board

APRIL 2018 WRESTLING DISCUSSION

RIPPA

19 hours ago, Wyld Samurai said:

This is also how I saw Steamboat vs Flair best of 3. I knew nothing about it going in, but it won me over and I still regard it as the best match ever. I didn't habe cable then, they broadcast it on a local affiliate here in the bay area (channel 44).

Fuck yeah!! KBHK, channel 44. "The Bay Area's Movie Station"  Thank you for sparking some good memories from my youth!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Victator said:

I'm not sure Cody has ever had as good a singles run as Disco had in 97/98. Or been as over. If you put Disco in a Bullet Club shirt, I'm sure he would do fine. 

That is nothing against Cody. I have supported him, but he is a dude born on third who thinks he hit a triple.

Seriously.  Two old saying come to mind when I reread that post.

1) "There but by the grace of God go I"

2) "You hate in others what you hate in yourself"

Cody's description of Disco -- a nobody who fans don't care about and isn't a draw -- is the same way you'd describe Cody himself before he left WWE and would still apply had things not gone right for him on the indies and Japan. 

1 hour ago, ChesterCopperpot said:

The NXT North American belt

Hide contents

DZ4XRuyXkAEsS2A.jpg:large

Reveal hidden contents

God damn.  It looks like a boxing belt.  At least they include Mexico.  I Googled "North American championship" and saw quite a few that only show the U.S. and Canada.  So a lot of belt makers either failed geography or are Republicans.

• Like 2

Cody's not a good wrestler unless he's had some classics in ROH that I haven't checked, but he's just defending Kenny Omega, I think? I get why he would do that. 

Not that I rate anything Cody (or Kenny Omega)'s ever done over Disqo trying to figure out his submission move as he applied it or running scared from Jacqueline after taking an assbeating or OIL OF OLAY, ALL DAY, EVERY DAY. But Disqo being a very good comedy lower-midcarder and Cody being a very bad main-event level worker doesn't make Cody necessarily wrong. 

• Like 3

Announced for SDL tonight

AJ/Nakamura vs. Gable/Benjamin

Charlotte vs. Nattie

Rusev vs. Jinder

Plus Shane McMahon is showing up to tell us how he is better than Brock

11 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

Plus Shane McMahon is showing up to tell us how he is better than Brock

I'm going to be disappointed if they do switch out Shane for a mystery partner.  On the other hand, it's crazy dumb for a forty-whatever guy with diverticulitis and a recent surgery to wrestle a match and bump.  And it will be super-annoying to see Shane do some wacky "I AM TOUGHER THAN A NORMAL WRESTLER" thing.  But, I doubt that Shane's going to be on tv to tell people he can't wrestle, so....

Smackdown's WM build has been so lazy.  The DBry-Shane tag match has been well built and they've tried to build the US title match, albeit with three guys no one cares about and a guy they seem determined not to push.  The Asuka-Charlotte match seems to exist for no particular reason, other than they think fans will pay attention to whatever they do with Asuka. And the build for AJ-Nak has been kinda underwhelming.  They seem to be relying on goodwill towards AJ and a match in Japan most of their audience didn't see to keep the interest level up.

Has anyone ever done a gimmick that involves the use of music during their matches?

Trying to pad out the idea of a character that plays music in their matches to help illustrate the story they're trying to tell, extending on both the tropes like Festus and the ring bell, but also akin to the various colours of mists/kryptonite, each song provokes a different response (this song is going to provoke a Hulk Up response, another to keep on fighting through the pain, to provoke a sympathetic baby face in peril response, to psyche themselves up for a big spot, etc)

Whether you have a second at ringside playing the tracks, or the guy inexplicably having Bluetooth access to the sound system in his ring gear I'm not sure. And of course, copyright issues with content.

Was DJ Gabriel ever that fleshed out?

At the New South show the audio was going out all night. Sugar Dunkerton started singing "No Music, No Music, No Music!!!" and we started singing with him. It was a great moment. My nephew missed it during one of his hundred pee breaks. 

1 hour ago, Smelly McUgly said:

Cody's not a good wrestler

Cody is a good if not memorable. 

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, Keep Calm, Akira Hokuto On said:

they've tried to build the US title match, albeit with three guys no one cares about and a guy they seem determined not to push.

This is projection - just because most people on the board hate Randy Orton doesn't mean the live crowds don't care. And Roode may not be getting Rusev-level reactions, but that doesn't mean nobody cares.

• Like 5

Cody’s ring work has been the least revelatory thing about his ROH/NJPW work, but it’s been generally pretty good; and he benefits from the fact that virtually no one else in that sphere works a solid stooge/stalling heel gimmick. He got booed during his entrance this weekend for instance, which virtually never happens in New Japan. Out of context, though, there’s no classics I’d seek out. Maybe his Wrestle Kingdom match against Ibushi.

Anyway the funniest thing about all this to me is it’s all over an errant kick, not some reckless spot. Strikes have come in too snug for as long as people have been working them.

Exactly the point. Disco is a poor man's Russo in that he trolls for attention. He was a solid midcard comedy act and that's a helluva lot easier than being a top star in a promotion that has some of the most demanding matches.

And I definitely think the Ibushi/Cody (AKA HANDSOME BATTLE) from this year's dome show is fantastic and well worth a watch. Cody probably shouldn't be an incredible Omega-like performer or else people wouldn't boo him. Being the "3 star savior" is perfect for his gimmick and he's raking in cash and having the best time of his life.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Victator said:

Cody is a good if not memorable. 

I think that he's a solid tag wrestler and a sub-average worker. I don't remember any Cody Rhodes 1v1 match that I would label above "perfectly acceptable." I haven't seen any new wrestling for like ten months, though, so he could have upped his game since then.

RE: Oyaji's point, I don't dispute the difficulty of being a top star, but I actually think that one of the sneakily-hardest things to do in wrestling is to be good at comedy. Most comedy wrestlers are pretty bad at it, I think. Disqo is a level beneath Santino as a comedy wrestler. I think that being an effective comedy midcarder is a pretty tough thing to pull off correctly. Not as hard as being a top star, but pretty hard. The skill level it takes to pull the comedy thing off is probably closer to the skill that it takes to be a top star that you're allowing for. 

11 minutes ago, Matt D said:

Enough people say that Cody is wildly improved that I accept the possibility, but I’ve no desire to do the leg work and find out. 

I wonder how his missile dropkicks are these days.

2 hours ago, RolandTHTG said:

Has anyone ever done a gimmick that involves the use of music during their matches?

Trying to pad out the idea of a character that plays music in their matches to help illustrate the story they're trying to tell, extending on both the tropes like Festus and the ring bell, but also akin to the various colours of mists/kryptonite, each song provokes a different response (this song is going to provoke a Hulk Up response, another to keep on fighting through the pain, to provoke a sympathetic baby face in peril response, to psyche themselves up for a big spot, etc)

Whether you have a second at ringside playing the tracks, or the guy inexplicably having Bluetooth access to the sound system in his ring gear I'm not sure. And of course, copyright issues with content.

Was DJ Gabriel ever that fleshed out?

New Jack dude

• Like 3