DVDVR Message Board

APRIL 2018 WRESTLING DISCUSSION

RIPPA

11 minutes ago, DeathyBoy said:

This is a weird ass post given Show is determined to make Braun look like a million bucks every time they fight and is happy to lose convincingly and often to him.

I'll second this. Show's been very generous and motivated where Braun is concerned. I've got faith they'll make a good proper feud. 

In general, I'm just happy we get Show for a while longer. I'd assume his decision to keep at it is probably partially motivated by the buzz that'll be surrounding him after the release of the HBO documentary on his father. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 11

RE: Carmella's MitB

What if she holds it and fails to cash in all the way to MitB. In the lead up to MitB, the story becomes that her time to cash in is running out. She gets increasingly desperate to find an opportune spot to cash in, but it never happens. Finally, at the MitB PPV, Carmella attempts to cash in during/after whatever the championship match is, and she loses. However, later that night, she is in the MitB match and wins the briefcase again, giving her yet another year to try to cash in.

Weird that they aren't advertising an NXT women's title match for Day 4 at Axxess

Day 4 will include the following championship matches:

WWE U.K. Champion Pete Dunne vs. U.K. Championship Invitational winner
NXT North American Champion vs. NXT North American Invitational winner (First-ever title defense!)
NXT Tag Team Champions vs. NXT Tag Team Invitational winners

In addition, the session will feature a WWN Championship Match, a PROGRESS Women’s Championship Match, a PROGRESS Championship Match, a PROGRESS Tag Team Championship match and much more!

6 minutes ago, West Newbury Bad Boy said:

I'll second this. Show's been very generous and motivated where Braun is concerned. I've got faith they'll make a good proper feud. 

In general, I'm just happy we get Show for a while longer. I'd assume his decision to keep at it is probably partially motivated by the buzz that'll be surrounding him after the release of the HBO documentary on his father. 

I may have not been clear (which is my problem, not anyone else's) - I have no problem with Big Show, and he did a fine job with Braun last year. Couldn't have asked for better.

I'm being cynical about a) what seems like an obvious thing; and b) the "heatless" prediction being that some fans would rather see Braun at the top of the card, whereas getting put opposite heel Big Show would not be. I also prefer Big Show as a face.

8 minutes ago, West Newbury Bad Boy said:

I just now realized they're doing HOF on Friday and NXT Saturday this year. Any notion what motivated this decision? 

They did it last year too.  Since Takeover is in the same building as Raw and Smackdown, they don't want to change the arena from Takeover to HOF and back again.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, (BP) said:

The PC is going to have to start offering a class on working around opponents' hip replacements.

Hire Jimmy "I ain't gonna bump for ya, I ain't gonna sell for ya, and if I fall down......please help me up" Valiant to teach it.

47 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

HEY! I only just now noticed that Jason Kincaid got one of the tournament slots.

At first I was like, "hey, Appalachia isn't in the UK.  Then I realized the level of dental care is similar, so close enough.

3 minutes ago, Hamhock said:

I may have not been clear (which is my problem, not anyone else's) - I have no problem with Big Show, and he did a fine job with Braun last year. Couldn't have asked for better.

I'm being cynical about a) what seems like an obvious thing; and b) the "heatless" prediction being that some fans would rather see Braun at the top of the card, whereas getting put opposite heel Big Show would not be. I also prefer Big Show as a face.

Fair points. I think having the Universal Championship back on TV full time will certainly help Braun's case for getting that top spot sooner rather than later. 

As for the potential of heatlessness (spellcheck is going bug-fuck), I'm willing to see it risked. I really liked Show's post-Mania PPV matches with Orton and Roman after WM29 and WM31. I expect we get similar plunder-filled fun if this goes the way people are expecting. 

4 minutes ago, nofuture said:

They did it last year too.  Since Takeover is in the same building as Raw and Smackdown, they don't want to change the arena from Takeover to HOF and back again.

You are absolutely correct and I'm embarrassed for not remembering. Enjoy your blue heart thing. 

On 3/31/2018 at 10:25 PM, Victator said:

I got into a fight with my mother right before this aired. I had been looking forward to it for a long time. So I get into it with my mother and my father made his bi annual attempt to parent and forbade me from watching it. I think I was on the verge of nuking our home when Mama promised I could tape it. So I wake up Sunday morning and watch it commercials and all. I can still remember the ads for Castlevania: Bloodlines and a TBS showing of Heart Condition. It was the place where I first saw the best of three Steamboat vs Flair match. 

The sad thing is I have no idea what that fight with Mama was about. 

This is also how I saw Steamboat vs Flair best of 3. I knew nothing about it going in, but it won me over and I still regard it as the best match ever. I didn't habe cable then, they broadcast it on a local affiliate here in the bay area (channel 44).

• Like 3

I think Mania is looking great. The two world title matches, Asuka-Charlotte, Daniel Bryan's return match, three way for the Smackdown titles, Braun and mystery guest destroying The Bar are all exciting matches for me.

23 minutes ago, Dewar said:

I think Mania is looking great. The two world title matches, Asuka-Charlotte, Daniel Bryan's return match, three way for the Smackdown titles, Braun and mystery guest destroying The Bar are all exciting matches for me.

Reigns winning is predictable to everyone.   AJ-Nak will be amazing yes.  Asuka-Charlotte will also be wonderful.  Daniel Bryan's match will be fun.   Braun and Big Show vs the Bar is not appealing to me.    I think if the card didn't look so predictable I would be ok with it.   

1 hour ago, paintedbynumbers said:

come on WWE, if you can broadcast the saudi rumble surely you can give us these stacked live Access shows.  Dear god mania week is looking great.  Pretty funny when Mania itself is the weakest looking card of the week.

They're getting paid a boatload of money over the next decade to put on shows like The Greatest Royal Rumble in Saudi Arabia. These matches at Axxess are dark matches at a fan convention. Not really comparable.

46 minutes ago, Dewar said:

I'll take Takeover over Mania.

On 4/1/2018 at 1:51 PM, Zakk_Sabbath said:

I wish I was into WCW then because I seriously would have lost my mind about these as a kid

The best was one night where they did the WCW All Nighter on TBS they had Heavy Metal and Vampire Hunter D back to back. That was mind blowing.

• Like 5

Not really feeling Takeover this time around. The tag titles and the North American title match seem like things put together last minute. Black vs Almas should be good, and Gargano/Ciampa should be outstanding. Not a big fan of Moon either, so not into that match.

Basically, NXT is usually pretty good at building to stipulation matches. Making a stuntfest for a new title, instead of hosting a real tournament, is not the NXT way.

14 hours ago, JonnyLaw said:

Disco pulling out a cheat sheet so he can apply the move is a high water comedy moment.  

That said, Cody is still right.

Cody is right BECAUSE Disco’s on the opposite side. The opinions of anyone whose high note of the past 15 years is being Vince Russo’s errand boy are invalid.

• Like 3

18 hours ago, JonnyLaw said:

Disco pulling out a cheat sheet so he can apply the move is a high water comedy moment.  

That said, Cody is still right.

I'm not sure Cody has ever had as good a singles run as Disco had in 97/98. Or been as over. If you put Disco in a Bullet Club shirt, I'm sure he would do fine. 

That is nothing against Cody. I have supported him, but he is a dude born on third who thinks he hit a triple.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, RIPPA said:

So Gabe has teased that Daisuke Sekimoto could show up at Axxess and now I am going to be infuriated when that doesn't happen

I just received confirmation from Trevin Adams that the Access shows will not be taped and are for live crowds only.  This sucks and pretty much means no title changes.  Hopefully at least some decent fan cams turn up in the age of the I-phone. 

• Sad 1