DVDVR Message Board

APRIL 2018 WRESTLING DISCUSSION

RIPPA

2 hours ago, Rick said:

Rusev Day is just another Mr Kennedy Kennedy thing, it would fizzle out if given the spotlight. But with Vince working the marks acting like he's undermining Rusev, editing chants out of shows and taking him out of matches makes me believe he's trying to get the fans to sabotage the shows in the same way the ''Yes!'' chants did with Bryan, the problem is we're clued in by Dave and it isn't organic. 

That's not taking anything away from Rusev, he really can do it all and deserves more of a shot. 

The problem with this is that there is a catch-22 there if the fans ARE clued in by Dave, because honestly it ties into a bigger issue than "Is Rusev going to get a push":

The fans have just given up on their heroes ever getting pushed in WWE, and this is paradoxically the reason they WON'T be pushed.

Sometimes in all of entertainment, you have to break the fans' hearts to make them want something THAT MUCH MORE when they do get it, and it's that fact that makes entertainment in any form. There's a world of difference between if WWE gave Daniel Bryan the WWE Title at Summerslam 2013 (when he was a cult hero, popular, but still a tag guy) and Wrestlemania 30 (when he became a force of nature and the fans NEEDED him to win). 

Unfortunately, the fans have had their heart broken so many times that it's never going to mend again...and that leads to two big things to kill that:

On WWE's side, they know only true love can break your heart, and so if the fans give up on their favorite ever making it to the top the second they get a little adversity, then WWE will just think "They didn't REALLY love them, we can put them on the backburner".

On the fans' side, it's a self-fulfilling prophecy- since the fans have had their hearts broken so much that even if WWE DOESN'T give their hero adversity, it'd just be "Whoop-dee-damn-doo, they're prancing around with a pwetty title with their logo on it. Whatever- they're just going to lose it to Roman Reigns/to a blonde anyway, they didn't REALLY go all-in with them."

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Rick said:

Rusev Day is just another Mr Kennedy Kennedy thing, it would fizzle out if given the spotlight. But with Vince working the marks acting like he's undermining Rusev, editing chants out of shows and taking him out of matches makes me believe he's trying to get the fans to sabotage the shows in the same way the ''Yes!'' chants did with Bryan, the problem is we're clued in by Dave and it isn't organic. 

That's not taking anything away from Rusev, he really can do it all and deserves more of a shot. 

I think it might work as a springboard. But it would need something stronger behind it. Seems like Rusev would benefit from a break. 

I'm hopeful that they seperate them in the Shake-Up, and we get Broken Hardy foolishness on one show and Jeff getting one last run on another. 

The best thing about the return so far is still the matches with Sheamus and Cesaro, IMO. Looking back, that Iron Man last year might have been my favourite main roster match. 

To be fair - in that case what Bray is talking about is in the most recent WON Dave writes a little blurb that he heard people are trying to push the idea that Bray turns on Matt and leads Sanity

• Sad 1

Which feels like a terrible idea on multiple levels. Bray turning again so quick would suck, and Sanity doesn't need him.

Although if he does turn again, I guess he does need a cult since him without one really sucked.

• Like 3

I don't know how Sanity will fare on the main roster anyway, but being the guys that job on TV to whomever Bray's feuding with before Bray in turn jobs on a Network special would certainly suck for everyone in Sanity. 

5 minutes ago, Brian Fowler said:

Which feels like a terrible idea on multiple levels. Bray turning again so quick would suck, and Sanity doesn't need him.

Although if he does turn again, I guess he does need a cult since him without one really sucked.

Really? With exception of Nikki Cross I see them probably falling flat after 4-6 weeks.

They'll try something with Dain. They seem to like him. Feels like they've moved on from everyone else. Wish Nikki got more to do. 

Bray needs a cult if he's going to be heel again. But after seeing that start and stop so many times, it'll be difficult to buy in. Real cults don't have these kind of retention issues. 

4 hours ago, RIPPA said:

To be fair - in that case what Bray is talking about is in the most recent WON Dave writes a little blurb that he heard people are trying to push the idea that Bray turns on Matt and leads Sanity

That is a little better in context. 

Being Bray's followers might not have big job growth, but it is a secure position. 

This is the first I'm reading of Bray leading Sanity and I honestly don't think it's the worst idea in the world.

The issue I have is that it would really restore Brays status as a crazed cult leader if he recruited them one by one to his new family, but with the nature of NXT now being a full blown third brand basically rather than truly developmental, a good number of fans are already familiar with Sanity as a standalone entity.

I don't follow NXT weekly TV as much as I should. Is there any possible way it could be revealed and/or retconned that Bray is the puppet master of the group?