DVDVR Message Board

APRIL 2018 WRESTLING DISCUSSION

RIPPA

I am just mentioning this here for the broader point

The WWE conference call to investors is going on and they officially announced that they will go to a tiered WWE Network model

No details or anything just a "we are going to do this"

2 minutes ago, Craig H said:

Well shit.

Well if you go by what was on the survey that was sent out it appears that it would be something like

Free - 5 hours of archived content a month

9.99 - What we have now

$14.99 - what the network is now plus "indie wrestling content" (I am assuming this would be like EVOLVE and Progress)

Also the rumor - based on the survey was "higher pricing would give perks like discounted tickets, voting for the HOF, etc..."

Again - its all wait and see

12 hours ago, sydneybrown said:

God, all these Nakamura choices are so fucking horrible.  All they would do is get the manager over.  It's like when Cesaro picked Heyman as a mouthpiece and spent the entire time standing in the background.  Or when Dutch Mantel got more over than Jack Swagger ever did.

Cesaro was at his most over with Dutch as his manager and Swagger was the most over he had been since his World title run with Dutch. So no idea what you are going on about. 

I'd pay the extra $5 for indie stuff depending on what the indies are, but as a Day 0 sub that knows people that actually abuse the massive amount of free months the Network hands out, I'd be all for cutting the archives off for freeloaders.

Ok, if they stick to what's on those surveys and the extra $5 is for indie content and discounted tickets then I'm all for it.

Honestly, I don't even know why I have a reservation about them going to a tiered pricing system. This is the same company that's given away practically all of their PPVs away for free to anyone crafty and persistent enough.

3 hours ago, RIPPA said:

Per Meltzer - the Saudi Arabian prince who wanted the WWE show (basically the whole reason for this deal in the first place), when originally talking to Vince said the three people who wanted on the show where "Undertaker, Ultimate Warrior and Yokozuna"

A-yup

EDIT - More fun - the reason Lawler and JR were there was because the Prince wanted "the announcer with the crown and the announcer with the black hat"

So basically the money mark is a RSPW poster

I wonder if that explains Hiroki Sumi being there. They needed a sumo guy to appease the prince.

• Like 1

Before Brock's title defense on Friday I thought, "hey, I think Brock has held the title almost as long as Punk held it, I bet Vince is vindictive enough to have Brock win and break Punk's title reign." I don't know how long the reign is though because no one mentions it during Raw, but sure enough, Brock defeated Roman.

And then I look on Reddit today and see that, yep, Brock is a month away from topping CM Punk's run. I guess it's easy to quietly do that when Brock is barely on TV and defended the title far, far, far less than Punk did.

So yeah, Brock's breaking that record and then I wouldn't be surprised to see Roman win it. That would be a Vince move.

8 minutes ago, Craig H said:

Before Brock's title defense on Friday I thought, "hey, I think Brock has held the title almost as long as Punk held it, I bet Vince is vindictive enough to have Brock win and break Punk's title reign." I don't know how long the reign is though because no one mentions it during Raw, but sure enough, Brock defeated Roman.

And then I look on Reddit today and see that, yep, Brock is a month away from topping CM Punk's run. I guess it's easy to quietly do that when Brock is barely on TV and defended the title far, far, far less than Punk did.

So yeah, Brock's breaking that record and then I wouldn't be surprised to see Roman win it. That would be a Vince move.

In and of itself hilarious enough when you consider that Brock is the reason we have "Randy Orton youngest WWF champion ever in the history of ever".

But... CM Punk isn't the longest reigning WWE Champion and doesn't hold a record?  Its not like anyone mentions that abortion of a reign for any reason.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, (BP) said:

They referred to is it as the "longest reign of the modern era" constantly at the time of Punk's run, so I'm sure that'll get dusted off next month if pettiness is playing some part. 

But to Goodear's point - that title reign is on the other belt.

The Universal championship goes back to Finn Balor.

So we are talking super super petty if that is the reason Brock is champ (and some creative WWE world salad will be coming our way to spin it)

15 hours ago, sydneybrown said:

God, all these Nakamura choices are so fucking horrible.  All they would do is get the manager over.  It's like when Cesaro picked Heyman as a mouthpiece and spent the entire time standing in the background.  Or when Dutch Mantel got more over than Jack Swagger ever did.

In Swaggers defense, he doesn't have the personality to be what the WE THE PEOPLE character needed. You put someone who's over the top in that same role and it would have been amazing stuff. Too bad Glenn Beck didn't want to play ball. Him getting put in an ankle lock would of made Swagger the biggest face in the company.

I'm guessing the title would be "longest reigning world champion of the modern era", which means if Brock wins at his next defense (currently rumored to be at MitB on 6/17), he'll get it.

6 hours ago, RIPPA said:

Per Meltzer - the Saudi Arabian prince who wanted the WWE show (basically the whole reason for this deal in the first place), when originally talking to Vince said the three people who wanted on the show where "Undertaker, Ultimate Warrior and Yokozuna"

A-yup

This explains how Hiroki Sumi aka Hishofuji got to be in the Battle Royal.

2 hours ago, RIPPA said:

But to Goodear's point - that title reign is on the other belt.

The Universal championship goes back to Finn Balor.

So we are talking super super petty if that is the reason Brock is champ (and some creative WWE world salad will be coming our way to spin it)

The same thing was true of the "youngest ever" record that they supposedly were in a hurry to give to Orton at Brock's expense. Brock was the youngest WWE Champion; Orton won the World Heavyweight title.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Brian Fowler said:

I feel like they would've brought it up by now if that was the reason.

But Brock's already the longest reigning Universal Champion

If they mention it now they get a month of CM Punk chants from idiots. They will bring it up near the time.

On 4/29/2018 at 5:02 PM, Nice Guy Eddie said:

I'm thinking about how good Nakamura would have been as a member of Sweet 'N Sour, Inc. and that just makes me sadder Larry Sweeney isn't still with us.

Goddammit Eddie. I was over here near in tears laughing about Fonzie being his manager and then you had to go piss in the well. No fair

5 minutes ago, paintedbynumbers said:

Sam is awesome. He is my contact in CMLL where I get my lucha merch. One of the nicest guys you will ever meet. Have known him since he was a little kid. 

I hope you have heard him on our pod. ;)