DVDVR Message Board

APRIL 2018 WRESTLING DISCUSSION

RIPPA

34 minutes ago, HumanChessgame said:

Speaking of hosses from the aughts whose careers went nowhere, does Nathan Jones still wrestle or is he just playing the oversize bad guys in redbox action movies?

Retired from wrestling in 2005.  His post-WWE career consisted of three matches in Australia and no-showing a fourth match.

There was a rumor about ten years ago that he was going to make a comeback in TNA, but nothing ever came of it (supposedly got hurt before he could sign with them).

• Like 1

Creative gets a lot of shit for all the horrible gimmicks and story's. But you have to remember 98% of what we see is just them playing to Vince's likes. We know Vince loves junior high humor. So of course he'll greenlight a stuttering gimmick or a giant puss filled tumor on a very attractive woman's face.

Man, the mid 2000's were terrible times.

Vince's humor is what drove WWE creative to saddle Nattie with a farting gimmick, or in the case of another woman, they stuck a fake mole on her face because Vince thought the "mole" gag from the third Austin Powers movie was funny.

5 hours ago, HumanChessgame said:

Speaking of hosses from the aughts whose careers went nowhere, does Nathan Jones still wrestle or is he just playing the oversize bad guys in redbox action movies?

He was in Mad Max Fury Road dude, things are looking up

14 hours ago, Happ Hazzard said:

TBH I don't know why Al Snow doesn't hit up Cornette to do commentary for OVW. It's  in Louisville and as long as they're presenting something vaguely resembling episodic Southern 'rasslin, I can't see Cornette wanting a ridiculous paycheque for doing it. There's a market out there for it.

Does Dean Hill still do ring announcing/commentary there?

Gilbert Corsey is their lead announcer (and a very good friend of mine). Last show I went to a couple months ago, Ted McNailer (sp?) was doing color. 

They’ve had a few legit standing-room-only shows lately. Mostly for their Saturday Night Specials which are their equivalent of a PPV. 

14 hours ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Morgan could have tried the Samuel L. Jackson method for overcoming stuttering. It was a lot of repetition of one word. Definitely NSFW.

Hide contents

That made my head spin.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Nate is working an Exorcist gimmick.

I was listening to this during a break between sessions.

Have I ever mentioned my job at the mental health clinic?  One of my colleagues called my extension to "make sure everything was okay in there."

• Like 1

1 hour ago, matt925 said:

There still hasn’t been an official announcement (??) but Ticketmaster has the new japan cow palace show listed as going on sale May 1 at 10am pst. Tickets priced at $40-$300. 

I'm curious to see how many tickets sell first day without any matches announced yet. I want to go but I'm going to hold off on buying tickets, I gotta get a few things in order first.

1 hour ago, Web Conn said:

I'm curious to see how many tickets sell first day without any matches announced yet. I want to go but I'm going to hold off on buying tickets, I gotta get a few things in order first.

I’m very curious to see what happens as well, but I have a feeling the ticket brokers will be on this one and it may artificially drum up the demand. Could be an nxt Brooklyn 2 scenario. It will be interesting to watch and see what happens. 

3 hours ago, matt925 said:

There still hasn’t been an official announcement (??) but Ticketmaster has the new japan cow palace show listed as going on sale May 1 at 10am pst. Tickets priced at $40-$300. 

I saw that as well. I am going regardless of the card, but I would love to have some idea of what I am getting before I pop for seats. Really, it makes no difference since I am getting the lowest tier ticket. Big bunch of shows in the Bay that weekend. KOI revisited and Hoodslam on Friday the 6th, then the Cow Palace on Saturday. I'm sure there are others, but those are the big ones, for sure.