DVDVR Message Board

APRIL 2018 WRESTLING DISCUSSION

RIPPA

3 minutes ago, just drew said:

So, can I run a gimmick by you guys? I'm 35, but i'm 6'3, 240, and ive been training for the last couple months. I'll post video as it becomes available, but the concept is solid, as far as i can tell. There's an Eagles b-side from the LONG RUN record called "The Disco Strangler." It's about young women who succumb to the "lifestyle" of the time, and I believe it's a metaphor for cocaine and it's effects on users. I'm portraying the son of a late-70's serial killer called "The Disco Strangler," who's inherited his father's proclivities but has found a more productive outlet. I can cry on command, so my pre-match promo is basically "why are y'all making me do this? I don't want to hurt anyone." And then I tap someone out in a couple minutes, hence the "Strangler" part of the "Disco Strangler." After the match, I turn back into the hapless son of evil...

I'd say you need great ability as a performer and a lot of range emoting to make it work. And even then, it may be too high-concept for your average fan who has no rapport with you. And still, you'd need all of that and someone willing to let you tap dudes out in two minutes. 

I don't know you or where you work, so I can't comment on how these circumstances might line up for you. Just my first impression to seeing it pitched cold. 

• Like 1

Just now, West Newbury Bad Boy said:

I'd say you need great ability as a performer and a lot of range emoting to make it work. And even then, it may be too high-concept for your average fan who has no rapport with you. And still, you'd need all of that and someone willing to let you tap dudes out in two minutes. 

I don't know you or where you work, so I can't comment on how these circumstances might line up for you. Just my first impression to seeing it pitched cold. 

All of that is fair. Until video is available, let's say opponents are willing and the promoter is "past willing." He helped me come up with it. I am worried it's too high concept. I can cry on command, so there's that. I'll post video when I get it. I think in an age where true-crime media is as popular as ever, it has a real chance, but im somewhat apprehensive. We'll see what happens.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, just drew said:

So, can I run a gimmick by you guys? I'm 35, but i'm 6'3, 240, and ive been training for the last couple months. I'll post video as it becomes available, but the concept is solid, as far as i can tell. There's an Eagles b-side from the LONG RUN record called "The Disco Strangler." It's about young women who succumb to the "lifestyle" of the time, and I believe it's a metaphor for cocaine and it's effects on users. I'm portraying the son of a late-70's serial killer called "The Disco Strangler," who's inherited his father's proclivities but has found a more productive outlet. I can cry on command, so my pre-match promo is basically "why are y'all making me do this? I don't want to hurt anyone." And then I tap someone out in a couple minutes, hence the "Strangler" part of the "Disco Strangler." After the match, I turn back into the hapless son of evil...

Yo, I like it, but how will we have any idea your dad was a murderer? Are you going to cut a promo at every single show you work to get that piece of info out there? Also, having worked a number of low rent indies in my earlier years, there isn't really going to be time for you to do this character exposition. It works as a piece of info in your head to get you to better connect with your character, and that is truly awesome, but you may not have the opportunity to convey that to every crowd you work in front of.

Edited by grilledcheese
Punctuation
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, grilledcheese said:

Yo, I like it, but how will we have any idea your dad was a murderer? Are you going to cut a promo at every single show you work to get that piece of info out there? Also, having worked a number of low rent indies in my earlier years, there isn't really going to be time for you to do this character exposition. It works as a piece of info in your head to get you to better connect with your character, and that is truly awesome, but you may not have the opportunity to convey that to every crowd you work in front of.

that makes sense. im being trained to do this gimmick by a promoter for his fed, but i understand what youre saying...

19 minutes ago, just drew said:

If it were something you could get on TV and introduce with some vignettes and promos, I think it's good. If it's just at random house shows, I feel like people won't have the time to really grasp what the character is supposed to be and will think you're crying because disco is dead. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, BrianS81177 said:

If it were something you could get on TV and introduce with some vignettes and promos, I think it's good. If it's just at random house shows, I feel like people won't have the time to really grasp what the character is supposed to be and will think you're crying because disco is dead. 

The plan as of now is to have me destroy a trainee anonymously at the june event, then have the promotion run vignettes on youtube in an investigative style. The promotion has a not-insignificant following online...

24 minutes ago, just drew said:

The plan as of now is to have me destroy a trainee anonymously at the june event, then have the promotion run vignettes on youtube in an investigative style. The promotion has a not-insignificant following online...

Sounds like a good idea.

One thing to keep in mind, if I am attending your feds show for the first time or tuning in on Twitch to see your fed for the first time...  How do you get your character over to me in thirty seconds without saying a word?  Your look will cement your character with every fan.  Pay close attention to details.

Makeup will be key here.  Hair color.  Dark eyes.  A nervous twitch.  Torn clothing.  Even if you are wearing 70's gear, you need to sell a grungy look to get people thinking you are some partially insane man.  Your moveset should reflect the character as well.  Moves sell the gimmick.

I would watch a lot of old Goldust stuff from the Attitude Era.  His in-ring work was creepy and made people uncomfortable.  You want that level of creepiness.

What BrianS said, you want to get over the creep and not 'crying over the death of disco.'

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

Another in the "we are all fucking old" category - Rey Mysterio Jr posted on social media wishing his son Dominik a happy 21st birthday

Ugh.

51 minutes ago, just drew said:

All of that is fair. Until video is available, let's say opponents are willing and the promoter is "past willing." He helped me come up with it. I am worried it's too high concept. I can cry on command, so there's that. I'll post video when I get it. I think in an age where true-crime media is as popular as ever, it has a real chance, but im somewhat apprehensive. We'll see what happens.

I'd love to see this when you get some video. For sure. 

When you bring up the concept, one thing I flashbacked to was Samuel Shaw aping Dexter. That had a tonne of production, performer, and company commitment behind it and it still wasn't all that great. So my knee-jerk reaction is to think that maybe this isn't a place wrestling needs to go. But I'm willing to keep an open mind. 

• Like 1

When you look at SCSA.  Just a picture.  No promo.  No sound.  His look sold the gimmick.  It screamed bad ass mother f'cker.

Every single move he did in the ring sold the gimmick.  No high flying.  No topes.  No jumping around.  Every move was power.  Every move was done to beat you up.  Every move sold the gimmick.

1 minute ago, West Newbury Bad Boy said:

Ugh.

I'd love to see this when you get some video. For sure. 

When you bring up the concept, one thing I flashbacked to was Samuel Shaw aping Dexter. That had a tonne of production, performer, and company commitment behind it and it still wasn't all that great. So my knee-jerk reaction is to think that maybe this isn't a place wrestling needs to go. But I'm willing to keep an open mind. 

There's some flexibility with the origins. We know when I said "the Disco Strangler" out loud, both of us looked at each other with wide eyes. It's a great hook. Coming to the ring to the Eagles song, which has a great riff, and just beating the daylights out of some trainee, it works. We'll woodshed some of the other stuff.

1 minute ago, just drew said:

There's some flexibility with the origins. We know when I said "the Disco Strangler" out loud, both of us looked at each other with wide eyes. It's a great hook. Coming to the ring to the Eagles song, which has a great riff, and just beating the daylights out of some trainee, it works. We'll woodshed some of the other stuff.

Best of luck, mate. Fair warning: If this gets so over that your fed wants to run a Disco Demolition Night, Steve Dahl's lawyers will likely reach out. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, RIPPA said:

Another in the "we are all fucking old" category - Rey Mysterio Jr posted on social media wishing his son Dominik a happy 21st birthday

I'm only 30 dammit. Stop trying to make me feel older than that by mentioning stuff like this.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Ryan said:

If you light him on fire they might.

Then he’d actually be a Disco Inferno. 

On the heels of that terrible bit of comedy, I just thought of a new trios team, Disco Demolition. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I can't decide what part is my favorite between the kid's "I'm gonna fuck you up" stance with Trent begging off or the kid hooking the leg. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, PetrolCB said:

Then he’d actually be a Disco Inferno. 

On the heels of that terrible bit of comedy, I just thought of a new trios team, Disco Demolition. 

If you throw in one of Shawn Michaels knights from the '93 Survivor Series or Mideon, you'd have Disco Demolition Knight. I don't remember if it was here or the old ROHwrestling.com forum, but there was a thread of fantasy King of Trios teams. One of my suggestions was Disco Demolition Knight (Disco Inferno, Barry Darsow, Jeff Gaylord). Another one was Team Greek Mythology (Zeus, Mantaur, Madusa). There was also the Fabulous Quebecers (Jacques, Raymond, Pierre Carl Oulette).