DVDVR Message Board

APRIL 2018 WRESTLING DISCUSSION

RIPPA

11 hours ago, John Austin said:

Someone once told me years ago they did that because he was so loud at calling spots.

"I'm going to stab you" is less of a called spot and more of a mission statement.

• Like 3
  • Haha 6

7 hours ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

RATM is/was talented no question about that.  The talent levels of all those popular bands at the time varied but I believe the demographic they were hitting was similar. 

It's not just that RATM is better than those bands you listed, they weren't even a part of that movement. Your timeline is off. They blew up when their first album came out in 1992, in the middle of the grunge movement, a good six years before TRL even debuted.

• Thanks 1

As far as crossover top 40 success, 1999 was definitely  RATM's biggest year, so putting them in the same company as those other acts as contemporaries makes sense even if they were better and already established. 

Before someone says it's only the fourth and the digressions are already running wild, I'm pretty sure this is what the main wrestling thread's going to be like every month since there are dozens of niche wrestling threads. Not that I mind. 

• Like 1

Do you have to spam all the wrestling threads about ROH's ineffective use of modern technology?

My favorite WrestleMania entrance is RUSEV ON A FUCKING TANK.

The spoiler of Big Show signing a new contract, and everyone assuming he is going to be Braun's surprise partner makes me sad. If they had not fired Ellsworth, I would be entertained for many moons by him has the surprise partner, and all he does in every single match is get tagged in by Braun, who then lawn darts him at a wounded opponent for the pinfall victory.

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, paintedbynumbers said:

guys, it's April 4th and ROH still doesn't have a fully functional roku/android channel  and you are talking about RATM?!  Wtf is going on in the world?!

I am much more interested in this discussion of RATM than I am any discussion involving modern day Ring Of Honor.

• Like 3

45 minutes ago, Dewar said:

Do you have to spam all the wrestling threads about ROH's ineffective use of modern technology?

The spoiler of Big Show signing a new contract, and everyone assuming he is going to be Braun's surprise partner makes me sad. If they had not fired Ellsworth, I would be entertained for many moons by him has the surprise partner, and all he does in every single match is get tagged in by Braun, who then lawn darts him at a wounded opponent for the pinfall victory.

It's not spam but thanks for the acknowledgment, much appreciated.  It is April the biggest wrestling week of the year and it is the biggest ROH crowd ever so it would be nice to watch it live.

1 hour ago, Dewar said:

I do however agree that Rusev on a tank was great  and the Big Show news is a huge letdown.  I was there for the first Ellsworth-Gillburg and Ellsworth was amped up dropping F bombs and telling people about their moms vaginas.  I didn't expect it.. I would think we see more of that Ellsworth at the Spring Break show.  Your booking is 100% better than what we will get on Sunday.

25 minutes ago, mattdangerously said:

I am much more interested in this discussion of RATM than I am any discussion involving modern day Ring Of Honor.

16 yr old me was there for their woodstock 99 performance.  Pretty bad ass live group.  Maybe we can get Zack vs X-Pac  for Janella Spring Break 3.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, paintedbynumbers said:

16 yr old me was there for their woodstock 99 performance.  Pretty bad ass live group.  Maybe we can get Zack vs X-Pac  for Janella Spring Break 3.

This sounds a lot like my Fire Pro World league

• Like 3

15 hours ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

I'm glad I'm not the only one. I can't properly put into words how much I hate Kid Rock.

So if you watch baseball I have noticed that on the MLB extra innings preview during commercials they have a remake of the mania commercial with this song. The funny thing is instead of hyping the matches it just shows all the wrestlers pics and they are smiling.  At the very end it gets to Naomi and she says "wrestlemania baby bay bay"  just look Biggie.  It is the most random out of place thing on a mania commercial I have ever seen

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, CreativeControl said:

That NXT belt is a pretty cool callback to the old Mid Atlantic US title, but I wish they'd called it something else when the 'world' title is pretty much only defended in North America.

IMG_3049.jpg

I know, right? And the Universal title has only been defended in this solar system!

• Haha 9

13 hours ago, SorceressKnight said:

Still a lot of hate here for a HOFer. It's not time to hate right now.

Clearly, people need to get in the pit and try to love someone.

Any lovin' that happen in the pit is probably grounds for an arrest warrant.  Probably an eventual registration on a website, too.

8 hours ago, Kropotkin's Beard said:

I've always thought he was a giant unflushable turd, but the actual moment I realised I despised him was the first time I heard that song he did which was basically a mashup of Werewolves of London & Sweet Home Alabama. God that was rancid. It's staggering just how utterly insipid it is. All Summer Long. Look it up, I don't want to go on Youtube and accidentally hear a bit of it.

I was there live at the WWE PPV where that was the theme song (I think that was the Stephanie vs Vince one) and HOLY FUCK they played that awful song at every break. 

• Haha 2

5 hours ago, Dewar said:

I'd read a rumour that Brauns partner would be

Rey Mysterio

and I've decided not to read any debunkings or contrary reports so I will be disappointed if it's anything else.  

• Like 1

7 hours ago, MORELOCK said:

It's not just that RATM is better than those bands you listed, they weren't even a part of that movement. Your timeline is off. They blew up when their first album came out in 1992, in the middle of the grunge movement, a good six years before TRL even debuted.

They were still getting play on TRL and were on the same stage as those other acts at Woodstock.  

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

They were still getting play on TRL and were on the same stage as those other acts at Woodstock.  

So were Sheryl Crow, Dave Matthews Band, and Jamiroquai. What a weird way to categorize musical genres.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, paintedbynumbers said:

guys, it's April 4th and ROH still doesn't have a fully functional roku/android channel  and you are talking about RATM?!  Wtf is going on in the world?!

Nevermind ROH. NJPW doesn't have a damn roku or ps4 app. I tried to download the one for the Kindle Fire, but it said it was incompatible.