DVDVR Message Board

APRIL 2018 WRESTLING DISCUSSION

RIPPA

2 hours ago, RolandTHTG said:

Has anyone ever done a gimmick that involves the use of music during their matches?

Trying to pad out the idea of a character that plays music in their matches to help illustrate the story they're trying to tell, extending on both the tropes like Festus and the ring bell, but also akin to the various colours of mists/kryptonite, each song provokes a different response (this song is going to provoke a Hulk Up response, another to keep on fighting through the pain, to provoke a sympathetic baby face in peril response, to psyche themselves up for a big spot, etc)

Whether you have a second at ringside playing the tracks, or the guy inexplicably having Bluetooth access to the sound system in his ring gear I'm not sure. And of course, copyright issues with content.

Was DJ Gabriel ever that fleshed out?

Never saw a Gangsta's match? :)

I believe I saw a Kana match from a few years ago that was accompanied by music. It was beautiful.

Cody/Okada last year was really good. Cody/Ibushi was fantastic earlier this year. The tag match with Page against the Golden Lovers Sunday was really good.

His match with Taven at the 16th Anniversary show was solid.

He's a solid worker who also happens to be a great heel. 

Disco's original comments were in response to the pictures of Cody's busted face, so it's not like Cody just randomly decided to defend modern wrestling to Disco. He pissed off Cody, Omega, Ospreay and Lance Storm at least.

God damn, the Officer and a Gentleman episode made me a bigger fan of Travis Banks than any of his matches I've seen. Dude is very funny and has a great trash Kiwi film critic routine.

Guys think VERY highly of Rocky IV.

6 minutes ago, AquariumDrinker said:

Sunday can't get here soon enough.

If I have to hear their terrible "Down to New Orleans" WrestleMania nasally whine-theme one more time, I might gouge out my ear drums.

I'm glad I'm not the only one. I can't properly put into words how much I hate Kid Rock.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

I can't properly put into words how much I hate Kid Rock.

If Kid Rock can make up words like bawitaba, you can make up new words to express how much you hate him. 

• Like 4
  • Haha 5

6 minutes ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

I think we had this discussion last month also.  But anytime is a good time to bash Kid Rock.  

I blame Aerosmith and Run-DMC for Kid Rock. Anthrax, Public Enemy, and the Beastie Boys all probably deserve some share of the blame as well.

1 minute ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

I blame Aerosmith and Run-DMC for Kid Rock.

That helped and Eminem being on his album I guess too but really it was just the right place and right time with him.  The white male teen angst shit was going strong and MTV was pushing the hell out of both TRL and showing live events like Woodstock.  So all that exposed a huge new demographic to the Kid Rock,  Limp Bizkit,  KoRn,  Rage Against the Machine, System of a Down and etc.  Some of the bands were pretty good and some really sucked.  I know for me I grew up listening to mostly hip-hop and classic rock/80s rock so I would probably have never heard of a lot of those bands if it were not for MTV.   I actually ended up exploring more modern rock music later on because of it so it wasn't all bad.  

I get what you’re saying, but RATM is in a different class than the others you mentioned. 

I’ll tie them into wrestling here; Austin told Jim Johnston to write him a theme that sounded like “Bulls On Parade”, because he’d just heard the song and loved it. Thus, the classic Stone Cold theme was born. 

Also an excuse for me to post this, because it’s awesome...

• Like 5

24 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

I blame Aerosmith and Run-DMC for Kid Rock. Anthrax, Public Enemy, and the Beastie Boys all probably deserve some share of the blame as well.

Blame Run-DMC and Public Enemy again and see what happens, goddammit. 

• Like 7
  • Haha 2

I always thought Kid Rock was generally well-received as far as his music in wrestling goes (Undertaker, Kid Kash, Rumble 02, Lonely Road of Faith, etc.), but nowadays seems just about everyone hates him. Was there a point that this massive backlash began or was it just something I didn't notice back then? I do recall most everyone despising his WM 25 performance... and some of it may be a political thing of which I'm not much familiar with his views.

16 hours ago, DreamBroken said:

I always thought Kid Rock was generally well-received as far as his music in wrestling goes (Undertaker, Kid Kash, Rumble 02, Lonely Road of Faith, etc.), but nowadays seems just about everyone hates him. Was there a point that this massive backlash began or was it just something I didn't notice back then? I do recall most everyone despising his WM 25 performance... and some of it may be a political thing of which I'm not much familiar with his views.

Around the same time pop culture turned on him. 2003 I would guess. Him being a giant shithead helps things. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, PetrolCB said:

I get what you’re saying, but RATM is in a different class than the others you mentioned.

RATM is/was talented no question about that.  The talent levels of all those popular bands at the time varied but I believe the demographic they were hitting was similar. 

7 hours ago, DreamBroken said:

I've always thought he was a giant unflushable turd, but the actual moment I realised I despised him was the first time I heard that song he did which was basically a mashup of Werewolves of London & Sweet Home Alabama. God that was rancid. It's staggering just how utterly insipid it is. All Summer Long. Look it up, I don't want to go on Youtube and accidentally hear a bit of it.

• Like 7