DVDVR Message Board

APRIL 2018 WRESTLING DISCUSSION

RIPPA

I am starting some April stuff early since I am not quite sure how much I will be on the board tomorrow plus we can see if we can break the jinx of what happens when Natural starts the threads.

• Haha 3

I was going down the wiki rabbit hole the other night and got to Bullet Bob Armstrong's. Something tells me that if you were to look up the person who last edited his wiki, you'd see a username that looked something like O.Kru. Either that or wrestling One Man Kru in 2008 was the highlight of Bob's career. And that happened on my birthday no less.

On September 20th, 2008. "Bullet" Bob Armstrong was scheduled to wrestle Southeast indy darling Ace Rockwell in Haleyville, Alabama. Rockwell pulled out of the show merely hours before showtime to take a higher paying booking that was closer to his home. The show's promoter and former WCW jobber "Action" Mike Jackson called underground rapper One Man Kru to serve as a last minute replacement. Kru was asked to cut a promo introducing himself as "Ace Rockwell" because Jackson had forgot to put "card subject to change" on the event posters & flyers. One Man Kru was concerned about the 44 year age gap between himself and Bob (who was 69 years old at the time) and was worried about possibly accidentally injuring his opponent. Legend has it that One Man Kru worked so hard to make the match so easy for Armstrong that The Bullet "didn't even break a sweat". Armstrong enjoyed working the match with Kru so much that he pulled a backstage political move to get One Man Kru booked in Carrolton, Georgia the following week for a rematch. The main reason for requesting the rematch was because Bob wanted his son "The Road Dogg" Jesse James (who was working as an agent for TNA at the time and was booked on the event) to get a look at One Man Kru and possibly get him a job. After working only one TNA house show as an extra, One Man Kru would go on to become an international pro-wrestling star and work for 30 different promotions in Japan, Thailand, South Korea, Hawaii & Mexico.

• Haha 4

The next page I went to was The Studd Stable's wiki entry which led me to Jerry Stubbs'. Apparently he took credit for the Mr. Perfect gimmick as he was known by that moniker in Continental.

https://web.archive.org/web/20090221030329/http://www.wormwoodchronicles.com/overtheropes/stubbs/text.html

WORMWOOD CHRONICLES - When and where did you get first big break in the business, i.e. your first big push? What was that like? 

JERRY STUBBS - My first break was with the Fullers. I became the U S Champion and worked with Dicky Steinborne. That was in the 80's and from there I started getting noticed. I worked in one of the best places in the world. (Pensacola Fl.) In the gym in the morning, at the beach by noon, and to the shows at night. 

WC - In Continental you were known as "Mr. Perfect" long before Curt Henning used that name in the WWF.Were you the first to use that nickname and how did you come to have it? 

JS - Being Mr. Perfect was one of my Heel moments and I could brag about how great I was. That sure generated a lot of heat for me as a Heel. Myself and Curt Henning toured Japan together and one night over some Jack Daniels I told Curt he could use the Mr. Perfect in New York. He said he would and if he made money he would send me a bottle of Jack D. Well Curt stood good on his promise, I got my Jack D. 

• Like 2

hey guys I am looking for some help. Does anyone know if there is a way to purchase all the WWN related mania weekend shows to view for one price? I am currently a member to their roku but I haven't received any type of email  as to a bulk buy? Part of me wants to wait the 2 weeks for the shows to be released free but the other part is saying this is mania week and  it's best viewed live. 

FITE seems to be the only one offering a package deal but since you're already signed up for the WWN service you get a 50% discount on purchasing shows directly through them. I imagine it would be significantly cheaper to buy them individually that way than the FITE package. 

Riddle's Bloodsport starting at 1:00 PM PDT on a Thursday is lame. 

12 hours ago, cwoy2j said:

The next page I went to was The Studd Stable's wiki entry which led me to Jerry Stubbs'. Apparently he took credit for the Mr. Perfect gimmick as he was known by that moniker in Continental.

https://web.archive.org/web/20090221030329/http://www.wormwoodchronicles.com/overtheropes/stubbs/text.html

I mean they were on a tour of All Japan together in 87?

35 minutes ago, Matt D said:

I mean they were on a tour of All Japan together in 87?

Cagematch says they even teamed on the tour.

January 31, 1987

Mitsuo Momota defeats Shinji Sasazaki

Motoshi Okuma & Toshiaki Kawada defeat Kensuke Sasaki & Masanobu Kurisu

Mighty Inoue defeats Mark Regan

Hiro Saito defeats Norio Honaga

A Sheik, Curt Hennig & Nelson Royal defeat Ishin Gundan (Animal Hamaguchi & Isamu Teranishi) & Shinichi Nakano

Goro Tsurumi, Killer Khan & Rusher Kimura defeat Giant Baba, Haru Sonoda & Tiger Mask

AJPW World Junior Heavyweight Title Match - Masanobu Fuchi (c) defeats Kuniaki Kobayashi by DQ (10:59)

Ishin Gundan (Riki Choshu & Yoshiaki Yatsu) defeat Jumbo Tsuruta & Takashi Ishikawa

Ashura Hara & Tiger Jeet Singh defeat Hiroshi Wajima & The Great Kabuki

Genichiro Tenryu defeats Frank Lancaster

A Sheik = Jerry Stubbs.

4 hours ago, CSC said:

So Monsoon Classic posted all the WCW All Nighter segments and they are so good.

Here's the first and there's two more. 

I got into a fight with my mother right before this aired. I had been looking forward to it for a long time. So I get into it with my mother and my father made his bi annual attempt to parent and forbade me from watching it. I think I was on the verge of nuking our home when Mama promised I could tape it. So I wake up Sunday morning and watch it commercials and all. I can still remember the ads for Castlevania: Bloodlines and a TBS showing of Heart Condition. It was the place where I first saw the best of three Steamboat vs Flair match. 

The sad thing is I have no idea what that fight with Mama was about. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Victator said:

The sad thing is I have no idea what that fight with Mama was about. 

When you had to go to bed? I mean, you went to sleep, so I guess you took the fall. Wait till KC books you for a shoot, or go on someone’s podcast, then you can spill the beans, brother. 

12 minutes ago, PetrolCB said:

When you had to go to bed? I mean, you went to sleep, so I guess you took the fall. Wait till KC books you for a shoot, or go on someone’s podcast, then you can spill the beans, brother. 

No it happened on Thursday or Friday that week. Don't worry the really bad stuff will be covered in my autobiography "Shitting The Tub: A Life Of Stupidity".

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, Victator said:

No it happened on Thursday or Friday that week. Don't worry the really bad stuff will be covered in my autobiography "Shitting The Tub: A Life Of Stupidity".

No, I'm not going to bring up my own drunk shitting in the shower story. Not on April 1st. Maybe at the end of the month.

• Like 2