DVDVR Message Board

MLB 2018 - OPENING DAY & APRIL

Dolfan in NYC

Dave Roberts pulled Cody Bellinger out of yesterday's game because he didn't think Bellinger was hustling on a 2B he hit to the 421 sign in RCF in Pac Bell. Bellinger went down to one knee to get it, and didn't really appear to be admiring it. He hit a ball to basically the same spot in the first game of the doubleheader on Saturday for a 3B, so I can kind of understand Roberts' thinking, except for the fact that if he gets hosed trying to stretch it, then it’s the first out of  an inning in a game you are down 4-0 and he gets crucified for that.

Roberts said that it isn’t the first conversation they have had about effort on field, but I can’t think of a spot in any game that Cody hasn’t been hustling. This kid routinely beats out infield hits, or makes the DP impossible to turn, he goes 1st to 3rd with ease, so I don’t know what Doc is seeing that I don’t but apparently something is going on. It might just be the fact that Cody is the young guy and is taking a bullet to show that Roberts means business.  Who fucking knows? I’m more worried about Puig crashing into the wall and getting himself onto the DL and Jansen and Kershaw looking like regular pitchers instead of the juggernauts they typically are than I am about Roberts’ perception that Bellinger doesn’t hustle.

It looked to me like Bellinger admired it a bit and he certainly didn't race out of the box. He was not hustling. The whole "I didn't wanna get hosed at third" thing would hold water if he'd rounded second and decided to not go. Instead, he was jogging as soon as he rounded first. 

46 minutes ago, Tabe said:

It looked to me like Bellinger admired it a bit and he certainly didn't race out of the box. He was not hustling. The whole "I didn't wanna get hosed at third" thing would hold water if he'd rounded second and decided to not go. Instead, he was jogging as soon as he rounded first. 

I think the idea that he wasn't racing out of the box could be chalked up to the fact that his knee was down as he made contact. I don't think that Bellinger getting doubled off in the inning did him any favors, either. Like I said, Roberts stated that this wasn't the first incident, and that's why he got the hook, but I see it as more of a manager trying to light a fire under an entire team as opposed to this kid jaking it all the time.

3 hours ago, grilledcheese said:

I think the idea that he wasn't racing out of the box could be chalked up to the fact that his knee was down as he made contact. I don't think that Bellinger getting doubled off in the inning did him any favors, either. Like I said, Roberts stated that this wasn't the first incident, and that's why he got the hook, but I see it as more of a manager trying to light a fire under an entire team as opposed to this kid jaking it all the time.

After he got up from one knee, he stood there for awhile. He simply didn't hustle,

Any way you slice it, we seem to be on opposite sides. However, I will make this point as well. Whether or not the hook was warranted, Cody's spot in the lineup came up with RISP twice after he left the game, and LAD lost by two runs. Cody stays in, I feel like they have a good chance at winning the game given those circumstances and how clutch he's been.

If it is the right lesson to teach in the long run, then great. But it might have been nice for the kid to come up later and start a party with a big knock. That might have gone a ways to wake up a sleepy team that is having a rough go right now.