DVDVR Message Board

The Greatest Royal Rumble - 4/27/18

Casey

I missed the chop fest when I had to pick my son up from school, so I also joked that the WWE had apparently signed WALTER.  DAMN.  No matter the opportunity, whenever the WWE asks Strong to do something, he not only obliges but he finds a way to look great while doing it.

It was a fun show.  The cruiserweight title match was really good, they had their working boots on tonight and Kalisto ate the Lumbar Check like a man.  AJ vs Nakamura does work much better when there's a good heel/face motivation rather than "let's have a dream match".  The ending sucked, but it insures that AJ's balls aren't safe until Backlash.

Poor Finn not only gets put through the ringer during the ladder match, he gets busted open by the belt accidentally when Rollins pulls it down.

My favorite part of the rumble that I saw live: Owens freaking out when Jericho walked out.  CONTINUITY~!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

CM Punk always said Roderick Strong had "freaky retard strength".

I don't care how many people call him Roddy on this board, it's Roderick.

The first matches of Roddy's that really impressed me were when he faced Samoa Joe a few times in IWA-MS in 04 or 05.  He was throwing Joe around like he was a cruiserweight.  Pretty sure he hit some of his backbreaker variations on Abyss in ROH around that same time too.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

The NXT choices were...  interesting. It's like Vince growled, GIVE ME THE BIGGEST, STRONGEST GUYS YOU'VE GOT!   And someone confusedly sent Roddy Strong a plane ticket.

I could see Bryan requesting to have Strong in there to work will I'm sure he has enough pull by now especially since they want him to resign

Just now, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Dan Matha being in this seems like the biggest WTF to me. Was he on this card so Jinder's bacne doesn't look so bad in comparison? I can't even think of the last time he was on NXT tv. IIRC, it was getting destroyed in a Joe run in during Joe's feud with Balor.

He and Tucker Knight helped with the tryout - that is why they were both in it (and why Otis was nowhere to be found)

• Thanks 1

I have never been a big Impact watcher, but since coming back Lashley has almost dropped everyone he tries that stalling suplex on. I know calling Cass a piece of shit is fun, but since Bobby couldn’t really handle doing that move to Sami or Elias idk why he’d even try it on Cass. 

2 hours ago, Craig H said:

Oh damn. That's an even better idea.

This sucks. I do feel bad for Roman because Vince shotgunned his push, fucked it up, kept fucking it up and now he's at a point where it'll be hard to recover. Meanwhile there's a few avenues for Roman to really rehab himself and none of them are even realistic because they're not going to release this guy and he's not going to get significant time off.

How long is Roman's contract? He might not want to re-sign. Right now I would have Joe choke him out at Backlash, not let go, Reigns wins via DQ due to Joe not letting go of the Kokina Clutch but Reigns is now out of action for awhile due to injuries suffered

1 hour ago, Brysynner said:

How long is Roman's contract? He might not want to re-sign. Right now I would have Joe choke him out at Backlash, not let go, Reigns wins via DQ due to Joe not letting go of the Kokina Clutch but Reigns is now declared brain dead but still shows up to work every goddamn week to be wheeled out to cut a silent promo consisting of only twitching fingers showing his dedication and spirit and win the royal rumble.

edited to a more likely scenario.

• Like 2