DVDVR Message Board

The Greatest Royal Rumble - 4/27/18

Casey

LOL Once again Chuckie T is the best of us.

You're also not kidding about this being Roman and Brock's worst match. Their first match was pretty exciting and hard hitting. It felt like there were real consequences for mistakes made and all that.

What's even more confounding is that Brock was praised for how the Goldberg and Samoa Joe matches went (the Braun match not so much because that should have been two monsters destroying the ring and everything around it). Then you watch these last two Brock vs Roman matches and they're just so...meh.

• Haha 1

I stopped after Brock/Roman since I ha no interest in the Rumble itself though I'm pleased to hear Braun won.

Ladder match was fine.

AJ/Nakamura was pretty good, easily MOTN and probably better than their WM. The finish wasn't a bad idea, but needed AJ going even harder after Nakamura and a better crowd.

Brock/Roman was better than the WM though still excessive, and Roman pretty much is dead in the water after this. I have no idea what they could even do with him at this point. Releasing him to go elsewhere for a year or just giving him the year off is about all they can do. I don't even think a heel turn could do much for him.

Oh shit. Roman taking 6 to 12 months off and then coming back with a shaved head and sunglasses like Batista did during his run where he looked like Chono would be killer. Aside from that I'm not sure anything rehabs Roman.

Hah, WWE should do something like NJPW does with excursions, except instead of young lions, it's dudes they pushed too soon or completely botched the pushes for.

• Like 4

11 minutes ago, Craig H said:

Boy have they ever blown past that line now. If they give Roman ANOTHER opportunity and he finally wins, well, who cares? All this time spent to build Roman up and there's nothing to show for it. He didn't retire the Undertaker, he can't beat Brock, and he's a babyface who can't deliver on his guarantees. He sucks. Other wrestlers can speak glowingly of Roman and how good he is in the ring, but sorry, to me, a fan, he fucking sucks. This guy comes out and calls Brock a little bitch and then gets his ass handed to him every time out.

Roman Reigns is now basically just a repeat of James Storm in TNA. The finish to the cage match was perfect in that sense. Since it gave me a flashback of Storm vs Roode at Lockdown when Storm superkicked Roode out of the cage. 4 years and all Vince has managed to do with Roman is replicate one of TNA's biggest failures. 

11 minutes ago, Overly Critical Man said:

If Big Show can retroactively win a Royal Rumble because The Rock botched the ending, surely Roman can get another rematch out of this.

Here comes The Most Awesome SUMMERFEST in The United Arab Emirates!

FTFY

• Like 1

Didn’t see the show, so I can’t really comment on anything, but I’d be curious if they cut before (as if that were the plan) or during (having realized what was going on). Not that the network was displaying that feed for us to see.

• Haha 1

40 minutes ago, Infinit said:

Roman's 2 feet touched the ground first. It was hilarious hearing Cole and Graves try and dance around that lol

They were going okay until someone (can't remember which one) accidentally said the word "feet" and then froze and started over. And then they were fucked because everyone on earth collectively went "Oh yeah, what was all that shit about both feet?"

At least Cena would just go out and be like, "lol sup guys, I lost last night but todays a new day, winsandlossesdontmatterhustleloyaltyrespectnevergiveup THE CHAMP IS HERE"

19 minutes ago, Beech27 said:

Didn’t see the show, so I can’t really comment on anything, but I’d be curious if they cut before (as if that were the plan) or during (having realized what was going on). Not that the network was displaying that feed for us to see.

The sad thing is that the segment with the Daivaris was the only thing on the show to get nuclear (hopefully not literally) heat. They got booed hard. 

• Haha 1

Oh damn. That's an even better idea.

This sucks. I do feel bad for Roman because Vince shotgunned his push, fucked it up, kept fucking it up and now he's at a point where it'll be hard to recover. Meanwhile there's a few avenues for Roman to really rehab himself and none of them are even realistic because they're not going to release this guy and he's not going to get significant time off.

1 hour ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

The NXT choices were...  interesting. It's like Vince growled, GIVE ME THE BIGGEST, STRONGEST GUYS YOU'VE GOT!   And someone confusedly sent Roddy Strong a plane ticket.

CM Punk always said Roderick Strong had "freaky retard strength".

I don't care how many people call him Roddy on this board, it's Roderick.

I would assume that the Daivari's segment was for the live crowd since I would assume that the Saudi feed is probably the one that's used to broadcast to the region so you don't want that outside the country.

I ended up burning a day off since I have the vacation time.

I liked the show, maybe more than Wrestlemania because it wasn't as overblown.

51 minutes ago, Raziel said:

Also, holy shit did Cass nearly die on that botched Vertical Suplex.  Lashley was trying, but Cass was a lump of shit.

Cass is terrible. Daniel Bryan better be wrapped in bubble wrap for their match.

15 minutes ago, A Guy Named Tracy said:

The sad thing is that the segment with the Daivaris was the only thing on the show to get nuclear (hopefully not literally) heat. They got booed hard. 

Just to explain for the folks that didn't see the show.

They had 4 guys in the ring who were the "best" from the tryout they did this week (humorous side note - all 4 already lost their last names)

They then had Shawn and Ariya Daivari come out waving an Iranian flag and shitty on all of the new guys. The new guys then beat up the Daivaris (to a MASSIVE pop)

• Like 1

It does appear that they are counting it as an "official" Rumble based on the way the announcers called some things.

And for the fact that they are now saying Daniel Bryan broke the record for longest time in a single Rumble